Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    wcd
    Expert

User Info Menu

Thinking about a new Long Gun

After putting a Red Dot on my Mini 14 I kind of want something that is a little more budget friendly on the wallet, not real sold on an auto loading or Bolt Action. Seems like 22 lr is still the King of cheap shooting fun.

So I am considering a 10/22 take down, also in the mix is the Ruger 17 HMR. Understanding that 17 is a bit pricey but seems like it would fill the bill for going long distances.
    Thougths?

Expert

User Info Menu

To kill paper?
    I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous...

wcd
    Expert

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mongo59 View Post
    To kill paper?
    Well yes to be honest, I kind of enjoyed getting the red dot sighted in and seeing how accurate it would be at different distances, kind of thinking I might enjoy seeing how accurate I could get out to long distances.

User Info Menu

everyone needs at least one .22 LR rifle.

User Info Menu

Nylon 66!
    Where's the Kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth shattering Kaboom.

Marvin the Martian

User Info Menu

You can't go wrong with a rimfire lever action. They're so fun to shoot and easy on the wallet.
    Medium speed. Moderate drag.

User Info Menu

I have the same Ruger 10/22 since 1995. Great gun, highly recommend it. That gun has digested thousands of rounds
    Ecclesiates 12:13

Expert

User Info Menu

I have oodles of .22's and they are all fun.

I am into old guns which have "soul" and history.

Semi's would go to the "gill guns". Nothing like shooting with a long barrel and it is neat to be able to hold the bolt back until you release the trigger. If you want you can also use it as a short throw bolt action by simply pushing in on the charging handle. I also use an old Marlin 88, big as a truck axle and twice as heavy. Winchester 74's are remarkably accurate and compact but also on the heavy side compared to a modern throw away guns.

Bolt action my hands down fav is my Browning left handed T-bolt. Super accurate and light for when I want to carry. But it is pricey.

Why choose one when you can have so many reasons to keep going back to the LGS?
    I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous...

User Info Menu

About anything you could want available in a 22. I'm going to recommend against a 10-22 if you're trying to be budget conscious. Too damn easy to start modifying and changing out parts. Before you know it the only original parts are the receiver and magazine and you've spent over $1000 on upgrades.
    Tulta munille! HAKKAA PÄÄLLE

Grandmaster DeadeyeChrista'sdad's Avatar

User Info Menu

Some of you may think I'm nuts, but if you're not going to buy a 10/22, then to me the obvious choice is a model 60.

Beto is one of "Those" people that you hope to one day be able to throat punch.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast