• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    I have heard people say that they are building an AR? Is it really building? Or is it more like assembling? Are there special tools required? Also I am guessing that the component that would need a background check would be the upper receiver?

My son has expressed an interest as doing one as a family project.

Thanks

BR8818

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 20, 2018
    Anderson
    Lower needs bg unless you get 80% lower. A go /nogo gauge isn't a bad idea along with torque wrench for barrel nut, castle nut wrench, and a vise block.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan

You do pretty much need the barrel nut and castle nut wrenches. Everything else is just different size punches and a few end wrenches (and the allen wrench for the gas key screws).

I like the Magpul wrench. The only down side to it is the end with the castle nut wrench doubles as the flash hider wrench and larger diameter flash hiders don't fit through it (such as QD suppressor attachments).

usmcdjb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    118   0   0
    Jan 16, 2010
    Wabash County
    Bought my first 2 ARs. Then started assembling.

When I started, I put the parts in the lower, and just bought uppers assembled, usually in a kit with all other parts except lower. Easy way to get started. You can do that without any special tools.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Lower needs bg unless you get 80% lower. A go /nogo gauge isn't a bad idea along with torque wrench for barrel nut, castle nut wrench, and a vise block.

So only basic tools, so I am guessing a stripped lower is just a shell in which all the parts need to be put in ala carte.

Just seems odd the lower would need the bg and not the upper, so I am guessing the lower has the serial number then?

BR8818

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 20, 2018
    Anderson
    PSA is fine especially for a first ar. You could buy one of their kits that includes an assembled upper with lower parts kit and all you would need is a lower bought from your lgs.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    You'll find a ton of youtube videos out there on how to assemble the lower. Like usmcdjb said, I built my own lowers from parts kits, and then just bought fully assembled uppers. That's probably the easiest way for a beginner. Have fun! They're like legos for grownups.

sugarcreekbrass

Expert
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 29, 2015
    West central
    I did the same thing with my stepson last winter. He has always been inter wss ted in the ARs so I bought a kit from PSA. I had a friend help walk us through the assembly process. Like others have said, you can find plenty of YouTube videos that shows the process. I had seen a couple so my buddy was just watching to be sure we did it correctly. I did buy a few tools. An armorers wrench, punch set with flat and roll pin tips, and a takedown pin tool. My buddy had done many ARs without one but was amazed how much easier it was with the tool. No worries about a spring and detent flying across the room!

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I have had very good luck putting together mine. Went to a couple AR building classes and get-togethers, along with an unofficial AR armorer's class.

I had smart folks (that are INGO well known) guide me through my initial builds. They had tools and helpful advice.

Word to the wise. Stuff does go wrong. Springs and plungers get mixed up, triggers installed incorrectly and little parts fly away.

A smart thing to have for your completed gun is one of backup spring and plunger kits, even smarter if you buy it before you build, just in case. ;)

I build my guns with mostly moderately expensive components and have never had an issue with function. You do hear stories though of guys throwing together frankenguns that never run well.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    But Larry Potterfield said I need all these tools. I dont? I'm sure its not because he sells all of these tools.
    [video=youtube;pcko0UlvQxQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcko0UlvQxQ[/video]

But seriously, I did mine (completed upper with a lower and LPK) with nothing more than basic tools from the toolbox, 2 of my standard punches, and lots of masking tape to keep me from marring up my rifle. Do you need all the jigs, punches,etc? No. But it does make it easier. For just a rifle or two you could do it carefully with what you already have in your toolbox. (except the armorers wrench, which you can find cheap ones for under $20, or borrow one)

And yes, PSA makes good entry level guns.

EDIT: there are ways to improvise some of the jigs, too. A roll of electrical or masking tape on its side is useful for driving the trigger guard pins in for instance.

Last edited:

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    But Larry Potterfield said I need all these tools. I dont? I'm sure its not because he sells all of these tools.
    [video=youtube;pcko0UlvQxQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcko0UlvQxQ[/video]

But seriously, I did mine (completed upper with a lower and LPK) with nothing more than basic tools from the toolbox, 2 of my standard punches, and lots of masking tape to keep me from marring up my rifle. Do you need all the jigs, punches,etc? No. But it does make it easier. For just a rifle or two you could do it carefully with what you already have in your toolbox. (except the armorers wrench, which you can find cheap ones for under $20, or borrow one)

And yes, PSA makes good entry level guns.

Larry would not try to sell me something i didnt need would he? Lol

Dark Star

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 4, 2019
    South bend
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=p8sY5CQmlHI&t=3213s

This video is perfect. Great camera angles, no flashy crap and music, no begging you to follow the page, no idle chatter, just a perfect video on how to put your parts together.

I only own one AR and I built/assembled it using this vid. It runs great. Aero Precision lower and upper, BCM lower kit, Spinta Precision barrel, so-on and so-forth.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan

We have the complete armorer's kit from Brownells at work. The amount of unnecessary specialized tools that are in it is amazing... although I do like the L shaped tool for inserting the detente and spring in the front take down pin.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    We have the complete armorer's kit from Brownells at work. The amount of unnecessary specialized tools that are in it is amazing... although I do like the L shaped tool for inserting the detente and spring in the front take down pin.

Dont get me wrong, having ALL the proper tools are great. But not a necessity. You can build an AR without them, its just a little harder. Just like you can change a tire without an impact wrench. the 4 way is fine for the occasional tire change, but if you are doing brake jobs on your cars every 6 months that impact wrench really speeds things up.

If you just want to build one, you dont need all the specialized tools. But if you plan on essentially building a small armory, the extra tools are handy. (but Ive never had to re-cut/clean up my pistol grip threads. That seemed just crazy to me)

Top Bottom