• ...and so much more!
  • gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    After my training class this past weekend, I have decided that I still need more than one gun to do it all. I was hoping that I could run my M&P 2.0 Compact for everything but there will still be times when I need to conceal a little deeper than the compact will.

So, I'm posting to gather our groups opinions (and facts are okay to :)) on pros and cons or either buying a snub nose revolver or a small semi auto for those times when I need to carry deep.

I carry OWB.

Snub nose:
    Hard, long double action trigger pull would help me hone my trigger pull.
    Easy manual of arms. Though the revolver is much different than my compact, they both basically require one to just pull the trigger.

Semi-auto:
    Extra rounds
    Faster reloads
    Same caliber as compact

I owned a Taurus 85CH for years until I got into semi-auto pistols then bought a Shield when I had a FS M&P. Have since then sold the FS and recently sold the Shield since it was so close in size to the compact I have. Or at least I thought it was.

Looking forward as always to input from the group!

Lt Scott 14

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 18, 2018
    Porter County
    I have both(442 S&W, Shield 40cal.) The 442 is a pocket carry(in a holster and use the cheapie Uncle Mikes model.) The Shield varies between a Don Hume IWB(with belt clip) or a generic Kydex (off Fleabay.. $19.)

A little big for pocket carry, even my cargos restrict a ready draw. I do like a 2 gun carry, and usually have a spare mag for the Shield. The 442 is my last ditch, "get off me" tactic, so thats the reason for pocket carry.

Note: I have purchased more expensive rigs for in pocket, like Sticky, and DeSantis(Nemesis), but the extended flap thing fills the pocket so tight, kinda binds the draw. Hence Cheap Uncle Mike doesn't, but they get worn out soon. I get 2 at a time. (#3, #4) Tagua isn't too bad, and they offer a 4 in 1 model that may work well with Shields.

I have moved away from thumb break rigs and prefer form fitted. Hume #715, and Kydex seem reasonable for IWB/OWB.
    Good Luck. Bottom line is carry both. They work.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    How much are you going to practice with the snubby? I know, for me, using a snubby at anything but bad breath distances is challenging. (Long DAO pull and short sight radius) I've been practicing more. Quite a bit more than if I had a small auto.

And for what it's worth, my snubbie of choice is a LCR. I owned a 642 for a while. Recoil prevented me from getting the range time I felt I needed. After about 35 rounds, my hand just hurt.
    I ended up with a LCR (in .327 Fed. Mag.). For me, it's worlds easier to shoot.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    How much are you going to practice with the snubby? I know, for me, using a snubby at anything but bad breath distances is challenging. (Long DAO pull and short sight radius) I've been practicing more. Quite a bit more than if I had a small auto.

And for what it's worth, my snubbie of choice is a LCR. I owned a 642 for a while. Recoil prevented me from getting the range time I felt I needed. After about 35 rounds, my hand just hurt.
    I ended up with a LCR (in .327 Fed. Mag.). For me, it's worlds easier to shoot.

Yeah, practice/training time is what pushed me to try the "one gun to do it all route". I would dedicate time to a revolver like I did my Shield, but I would expect it to be good mostly at close up and personal distances.

I shot my Shield okay. With more deliberate practice I'm sure I could get that one proficient enough. Just not sure I want to go back to the Shield. Part of the hesitation is acceping the fact that I just sold a nice set up with the Shield (Apex trigger and USB, Ameriglo sights, good leather holster, extra mag) at a significant loss.

At least this time I could buy one without the safety.:)

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    For "deep" concealment, I'd go with either the revolver or something smaller than the Shield. I pocket carry. I can attest that a S&W 642, Kahr CM-9 or Sig P 365 all carry well in the pocket.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    I have trouble shooting the subcompact semiautos well at all. just so little grip surface. I absolutely prefer a snub nose for that role. I can hold on to the gun better (less re-adjusting grip between shots for example) and they are much easier to get a consistent draw grip with, especially from a deep/low holster or pocket. I kept thinking about a shield or G42/43.... until I shot them.

Snub nose revolvers can take a bit of work. But once you put in that bit of work you'll see the idea that they are for "contact distance only" is just pure crap. I can group almost as well w/ my 642 as my G19 (like all shots touching a paster at 10 yards, or hitting a mini popper at 50 yds, etc), and shoot it quite fast. The only downside is the reloads are SIGNIFICANTLY slower (and here I'll admit I never put a LOT of time into practicing the reloads). Snub nose revolvers can be a little picky regarding ammo, bullet weight, etc. so if you're not getting the groups you expect based on your dryfire and shotcalling, try a different brand/type/weight of bullet. My 642 has done well with the majority of ammo, and seems to shoot anything Speer just fine.

In an S&W airframe, .357s can be a bit punishing. .38+ps are somewhat unpleasant, but I could shoot a couple hundred regular .38s before it starts to hurt (usually the cylinder release hitting my thumb is the sore spot). Having the CORRECT grip* (which is different than a semi auto or even a full size revolver grip) and decent grip strength is important here. A semi auto may be more "comfortable" to shoot, but I can control the snub nose considerably better.

I always advise folks that before you decide a snub nose revolver is right for you, decide if you're willing to put in the work to learn it to make it a useful defensive tool.

* What is the correct grip for a snub nose? Well, I learned it from Jerry right here (at 8:03): https://youtu.be/gEHNZFTfSD8?t=483
    Get the WH thumb behind the grip and use both thumbs to crush the grip.
    For single handed, if you are high enough, the gun might lift a little more than w/ two hands, but it shouldn't shift in your grip.

2c

-rvb

Last edited:

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Other than deep concealment, what's the primary purpose and likely threat you want to be able to defend against? If you're just looking for a "get off me" gun to fight off a mugger a contact distances, a snubbie is fine in that role. If you want to be able to make hits on an active shooter at 20 yards, the Shield is more capable, plus can serve as a belly gun too.

A Shield will be overall more versatile, which fits into your [STRIKE]one[/STRIKE] two guns to do it all mindset. A snubbie does get some points in the "cool factor" category, depending on what you end up with.

I've carried several different snub nose revolvers and enjoyed carrying them, but I was well aware of the drawbacks. If I were in your shoes and had to pick between just those two options, I'd go Shield.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I routinely carry a sub-nose revolver.
    For the past coup;e of years it's been a ported .44spl.
    I do not feel under-gunned, and I don't worry about being able to hit my target.

I like to shoot, so Practice" is routine.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Seems like a no brainer for the reasons YOU stated, Shield. Same ammo better trigger, better sights, more capacity. You answered your own question:)

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member / [/FONT]Basic Pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] / RSO[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]"Under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training. That's why we train so hard" [/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Unnamed Navy Seal[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]“Ego is the reason many men do not shoot competition. They don't want to suck in public” [/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Aron Bright [/FONT]

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Shield is not a pocket gun. It really is not even a deep concealment gun. I am a big fan of the single stack 9s but they are best used with a good belt.

My vote would be a S&W642. Send it to BossHoss and have him work it over. It is tough to beat an air weight snub as a social gun.

I gave my Dad my 642. Now I use a Glock 42 in that role. The little Glock is the closest semi auto replacement I have found for a snubby.

If you are on a budget the a Gen1 Ruger LCP is another choice. But those are so small they are almost useless. But for $200 you can have a pocket gun that goes bang.

You don’t have to abandon the one gun does it all mentality. Just call whatever you buy a BUG and carry on. Everyone needs a BUG.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Other than deep concealment, what's the primary purpose and likely threat you want to be able to defend against? If you're just looking for a "get off me" gun to fight off a mugger a contact distances, a snubbie is fine in that role.

Primary purpose is to have something for those occasions when I just can't hang the Compact on my belt. Just so I don't feel totally defenseless.

Shield is not a pocket gun. It really is not even a deep concealment gun. I am a big fan of the single stack 9s but they are best used with a good belt.

My vote would be a S&W642. Send it to BossHoss and have him work it over. It is tough to beat an air weight snub as a social gun.

I gave my Dad my 642. Now I use a Glock 42 in that role. The little Glock is the closest semi auto replacement I have found for a snubby.

You don’t have to abandon the one gun does it all mentality. Just call whatever you buy a BUG and carry on. Everyone needs a BUG.

Thanks Vert. When I had my Shield, it carried well in my pancake holster but it really isn't a whole lot smaller than my Compact. Though it is small enough to make a difference.

I will try to carry the Compact as much as I can but I like the thinking of treating whatever smaller gun as a BUG. My brother carries a LCR and has for a few years now and he swears by the J-Frame size revolver.

The one upside for me is that generally once I buy a Smith revolver, they stay so if I buy one and decide it's not quite right for my purposes, I can always use it in a different way and try the Shield again.

And yes, I was planning on taking it to BossHoss.:)

And just for clarification, I carry in an OWB pancake style holster that rides high and fits close. On a good gun belt. Shirt over it.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Porque no los dos?

Not that long ago, I had the fantastic idea of a centerline holster for my Shield. But instead of a mag holster on the left side, it'd be a J-frame holster. New York reload, baby!

I certainly have the real estate for it... Ahem.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    My G19 is my 99.9% off-duty gun. My back-up is my 642 which has the Apex trigger springs installed, shoots wonderfully. Off-duty, I only carry that if I want something I can carry but hide so there is NO possibility of it being seen. I used to carry it when I traveled to NYC but anymore, I just carry the G19. I've gotten quite good at hiding the G19. Poor 642 just sits in my gun cabinet since I took my Admin job and don't put the uniform on much anymore.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    My G19 is my 99.9% off-duty gun. My back-up is my 642 which has the Apex trigger springs installed, shoots wonderfully. Off-duty, I only carry that if I want something I can carry but hide so there is NO possibility of it being seen.

This is my thinking. I will carry my Compact (same size as the G19) mostly. It is those times when I want little to NO possibility of being seen that I will carry the snub. Like when I attend some work function outside of our building.

I really think with a BossHoss action job and some dedicated practice, I will be able to effectively shoot such a firearm.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    another option if common caliber is a real concern is the 9mm snub nose from Ruger. I've not yet shot one but have been considering one for quite some time. the desire for a common caliber hasn't been important enough for me to "pull the trigger" yet.

-rvb

Top Bottom