• ...and so much more!
  • bcannon

QC Dept aka Picky F'er
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Boiler Country
    I picked up a rifle earlier this spring that had a little mold on it. It had been in a foil bag since new and when i removed it i was suprised to say it politely. I tried to scrub it off with minimal results. Its a slightly rough stock from factory and other than having it sanded down and refinished i have no idea how to remove it. Anyone have any suggestions? Any help would be appreciated.

IUKalash429

Bullet Hose
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Apr 6, 2019
    Rum Ham
    I used white vinegar and a toothbrush on some moldy Chinese Mosin stocks several years ago. Wiped them down with rags afterward and applied a light coating of Ballistol. Let them sit for a few days in a dry, sunny room and rubbed a few more light coats of Ballistol on them during that time. No more mold.

Granted, these were Chu wood stocks and worth next to nothing at the time, so I wasn't too worried about damaging the stocks but didn't want to sand them down if I didn't need to. BUT, white vinegar is a wonderfully effective cleaner. Good luck and let us know what you end up doing.

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    Give Howard Restore A Finish rubbed on lightly with super fine (0000) steel wool a try. It does wonders. It is one of those products that is as good as they talk it up to be.

Should be available locally at Menards, Lowes, etc, as well as Amazon.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Ive had good luck in general with Concrobium. It kills it but doesnt bleach it out. So you will still have to clean off the black stains, but you dont have to worry as much about it coming back.

dan45

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Aug 25, 2019
    brownsburg
    Dont know what it will do for sure, but I just had great results removing stickiness on one of my scopes with Magic Eraser. I think it might remove anything.

bcannon

QC Dept aka Picky F'er
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Boiler Country
    I called a older furniture restorer and was told to seal it in plastic and put 3-4 duhumidying pads, same as the silica bags for safes, and let it set a few days. Then bring it to him to see how to remove the residue without ruining the finish. So I went to Lowes and got a couple boxes of 4, stopped by a lgs that had Hoppes rifle Airvaults and put 6 in it with the stock, sealed it up and will do a daily visual check for the next couple days. Will take it to him and see what he suggests to clean it back to hopefully like new condition. Will update as I go. Thanks for the suggestions.

bcannon

QC Dept aka Picky F'er
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Boiler Country
    Well i was able to get my stock taken care of. The silica sacks and the rifle ziplock dried it out nicely. My furniture restorer buddy just brushed off the dust left from the dead mold. I was suprised it came off so easily. He then spray it with lysol to kill any residue that might have been left, pretty good coat anyway. He hung it to dry and we had a cocktail to give it time. Came back to it about 20mins later and he brushed it off again and gave it a good coat of oil and it looks great, couldnt tell if it was brand new or not.

Top Bottom