• Status
    Not open for further replies.

AlienRayGun

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 28, 2019
    Indy
    Hi, I am new to this forum. Excuse the greenness.

I am looking for someone with some private land to shoot on, near South Indy. Near being less than an hour, drive.

To answer the first question, "Why not a range?"

Putting holes in paper is not suitable for what I need.

Your next question, "Why is it not suitable?"

I write for a conservative news site, and I am adding firearms reviews to my articles. I have agreements with a dozen firearms manufacturers, and have my first few testers, ready to go.

And so, I need to be able shoot at Ballistics gel, Dueling trees, Gongs, Water jugs, Wood Planks, Drywall, Chronograph, and do things like Feathering hammers, Rapid Fire, Quick Draw, etc. I can't even put a camera downrange at the ranges here.

I am from Arizona, there is BLM land EVERYWHERE, and a 30 min drive in just about any direction, you can drive off the main road, set up shop, and start plinking away. Obviously much different here.

I'm not looking for unsupervised, in fact, I wouldn't mind having company, make a friend or two, and you can shoot the weapons I'm testing, so I can get your opinion on them as well.

First set will be boring, since I am testing CCW pistols, because of the Walmart, Kroger, etc lunacy. Boring to shoot, but it'll make for some good reviews.

However, later on, I will be getting some nice combat and USPSA-type pistols to try out, like, Zev, Faxon, Wilson Combat, Taran. And some nice rifles to try out. Plus I have some personal firearms that are pretty fun to shoot, that I can bring.

I expect you would want to meet and chat somewhere neutral of course, and you verify my identity, and see whom I write for, etc.

I read through quite a few posts on here, so I know, several of you do have land that you shoot on, hopefully one of you is interested in making a new friend. I didn't want to post-hijack or resurrect old posts, so I decided to start a new thread.

I saw one person is just 25 minutes away from me. Can't PM though, until I make 50 posts... so here's Post #1.

*I won't leave your property a mess, I'll pick up after myself. Pack out what I pack in.

PM would probably be best. (looks like I can receive PMs, during probation period)

Or email if you like Talos [đøť] arms [ąť] gmāîl [đøť] cøm

Thanks! Looking forward to making a new friend.

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Until you get 50 quality posts you can only PM staff/Mods. And this 1st post is quality. Keep it up.

You can opt for a site supporter banner and have all the perks right away. If you have questions/issues please PM me and we will help if possible. Welcome.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I think you can visitor message people. But everyone can read them, they're public.

Welcome to the site.
    Good luck finding a suitable place.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Find some threads.
    Make some contributions.
    You'll be there in no time.

Just don't post a couple words. In fact, more than a sentence or two is better.
    Mods are looking for "quality" posts.

If you go to the politics section, you'll have them in no time.
    Especially the global warming thread, general politics thread, impeachment thread, etc.

SarahG

Snow Shovel
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 17, 2017
    Morgan County
    I just wanted to drop in and say that when I first joined here I was a little hesitant to post too much. Then I bought a CZ so I posted in the CZ thread and have ended up making awesome friends through here. Basically, find a topic that interests you and chat it up a little - there's a little bit of everything here!

Good luck with finding land to shoot on; I'm sure you will. :yesway:

AlienRayGun

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 28, 2019
    Indy
    Thanks everyone!

Are 'comments', on other posts, considered posts as far as the 50 are concerned? OR is it top level stuff only?

SarahG

Snow Shovel
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 17, 2017
    Morgan County
    Thanks everyone!

Are 'comments', on other posts, considered posts as far as the 50 are concerned? OR is it top level stuff only?
    All comments count - no need to start a ton of new threads. Just go join in the conversation! :) As others have mentioned, there's always interesting discussion in the politics section going on especially with all the recent gun control proposals we've seen.

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    82   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    The world needs more old timey ranges like what the OP is looking for.

Can't draw and fire from the holster...
    Can't shoot anything but paper...
    Can't move around and shoot...
    Can't rapid fire...

Everything everywhere is "No you can't."

INgunowner

ARC Solutions
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 3, 2012
    Henry County
    Correction, The world needs more "old timey" people. The kind of people who can responsibly engage in firearm related behavior, notice I didn't say safely.
    No one is born with the capacity to effectively and responsibly operate a firearm only the right to do such as we are justifiably able.
    Thankfully we all possess the capacity to learn.

Sadly most spurn this responsibility and thus we are plagued, along with the OP, by ignorance induced legislation and holier than thou Fudd ROs.

Best of luck in your quest.

schmart

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 10, 2014
    Lafayette
    It sounds like you may need to find different ranges, but they likely won't be within your hour range.
    It has been 10 years since I've been there, but with the exception of debris from targets, Linden conservation club ( Linden Conservation Club - Romney, IN )would have been fine with everything you are suggesting. You can check out their current rules at the listed web site.
    The club I currently am a member at, Wildcat Valley rifle and pistol club ( Wildcat Valley Rifle & Pistol Club ) also wouldn't have an issue w/ the activities, again just with the debris. If you put large tarps under the targets to capture the splinters and drywall pieces, I think you would be fine. The board is very amiable and you could discuss your desires prior to joining (although that is somewhat a process, not an instant event). Considering it is near Brookston, IN, it could be pushing 90 minutes from south Indy.
    Neither of these ranges are "staffed" or have range officers so it is pretty relaxed, but not unsafe, in how you handle yourself.

Getting away from the "high density" population of Indy into more rural areas seems to be the ticket.

--Rick

AlienRayGun

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 28, 2019
    Indy
    The world needs more old timey ranges like what the OP is looking for.

Can't draw and fire from the holster...
    Can't shoot anything but paper...
    Can't move around and shoot...
    Can't rapid fire...

Everything everywhere is "No you can't."

Correction, The world needs more "old timey" people. The kind of people who can responsibly engage in firearm related behavior, notice I didn't say safely.
    No one is born with the capacity to effectively and responsibly operate a firearm only the right to do such as we are justifiably able.

Sadly most spurn this responsibility and thus we are plagued, along with the OP, by ignorance induced legislation and holier than thou Fudd ROs.

Little of Column A, little of Column B. We get more wingnuts out on the ranges, and the ranges tighten up their policies.

And I get it... I understand why all the rules, but as INgunowner said, if the people going to ranges now, had grown up like I did, this request wouldn't seem "odd", nor would I have to make it.

I'm not sure when I first held a rifle, but it was probably 7 or 8. Right after I got my first Barlow knife, haha. Still have that same rifle, sitting on the same gun rack.

Never had to make a request like this in my life. First couple dozen years of my life, I could step out my back door and do everything I'm wanting to do now. Only reason I had to drive somewhere when I was in AZ, was ex-wifey wanted to 'live in a nice subdivision'. Bleh. Still, the drive wasn't that bad.

As daddyusmaximus said, the "No, you can't" thing is a bit excessive now. Ranges now are space for coddled "adults". And only good for practicing what happens when your weapon is hot, and you get attacked by an aggressive newspaper. You get to learn your sights, trigger pull, and get rid of flinch, but that's about it. Who has their weapon hot when they get attacked though? Who is at low ready all the time?

I am not looking to be reckless. Quite the opposite, I am trying to get closer to reality than paper punching gets.

While I am testing these firearms, I will be testing ammo, and holsters, and accessories. With the ammo, I need to do at least one mag dump per firearm, (minimum), to test, FTF, FTL, FTE, nosedive, generally make sure the ammo will feed, as if you are shooting against an assailant. Fire til empty. And of course, when I'm testing things like G2, Lehigh, Gorilla, etc, I need to collect the expended rounds, take pictures, etc. I'm not going to get all Paul Harrell on the range, with a rack of ribs, but a few water jugs seem reasonable.

And, sure I can draw and dry fire at home to test the holsters, but is that ever really equivalent to real world, draw and fire at an attacker? MantisX is a great company, they sent me everything, and a bunch of baseplates to test their product, so I'll be trying their software for draw and fire at home... but honestly, I'd really just rather draw from concealment, and try to put as many rounds on a 6" gong as possible, as quickly as possible.

Ranges are just babysitting + sport shooting.

AlienRayGun

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 28, 2019
    Indy
    It sounds like you may need to find different ranges, but they likely won't be within your hour range.
    It has been 10 years since I've been there, but with the exception of debris from targets, Linden conservation club ( Linden Conservation Club - Romney, IN )would have been fine with everything you are suggesting. You can check out their current rules at the listed web site.
    The club I currently am a member at, Wildcat Valley rifle and pistol club ( Wildcat Valley Rifle & Pistol Club ) also wouldn't have an issue w/ the activities, again just with the debris. If you put large tarps under the targets to capture the splinters and drywall pieces, I think you would be fine. The board is very amiable and you could discuss your desires prior to joining (although that is somewhat a process, not an instant event). Considering it is near Brookston, IN, it could be pushing 90 minutes from south Indy.
    Neither of these ranges are "staffed" or have range officers so it is pretty relaxed, but not unsafe, in how you handle yourself.

Getting away from the "high density" population of Indy into more rural areas seems to be the ticket.

--Rick

A large tarp... that's definitely a good idea wherever I go.

I guess I can call around and see how horrified they sound on the phone to my requests. 90 min drive won't kill me, I'll just have to wait longer in between trials.

I can't lay out lots of cash for a membership somewhere, I don't make money writing, I do it because it needs to be done. My "day job" is a charity, so I rarely/never have anything resembling extra money. Maybe I can find a range that a) will let me test things, and b) will give me a non-profit discount.

Still prefer to meet someone with land though. I'm handy with a hammer and saw, we could make a nice covered bench, set up a rack for gongs, build a nice target table for gel, and jugs. Deck the whole place out.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

^This^^^^^^^^

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    82   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    Yeah, we REALLY need old timey people. These lazy, self centered, self righteous, politically correct idiots are taking over with their complaining, and refusal to accept responsibility for their own actions, let alone the reality of life.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom