• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Yup!

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    I was home, minding my own business when my video doorbell alerted me to a visitor. It took me a second, but I recognized him. It was my neighbor - he asked if I could help him out. A relative of his is no longer capable of owning firearms. His mental state is deteoriating and his actions from Vietnam are not helping.

He had a shotgun in his car, but didn't know how to unload it. I went over, figured out how to empty the shells from the tube and presented him with an unloaded shotgun. Then I went into my closet and retrieved a cable lock that came with one of my firearms. It's installed and should his curious kids stumble upon it, it's going to be ok.

I'm glad he asked!

Last edited:

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    This is the way we need to do it. Fxck a bunch of red flag laws. When Gpa or uncle Ed becomes erratic, someone in the family, someone he trusts, TALKS to him about it, and takes custody of his firearms.

Raskolnikov

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I was home, minding my own business when my video doorbell altered me to a visitor. It took me a second, but I recognized him. It was my neighbor - he asked if I could help him out. A relative of his is no longer capable of owning firearms. His mental state is deteoriating and his actions from Vietnam are not helping.

He had a shotgun in his car, but didn't know how to unload it. I went over, figured out how to empty the shells from the tube and presented him with an unloaded shotgun. Then I went into my closet and retrieved a cable lock that came with one of my firearms. It's installed and should his curious kids stumble upon it, it's going to be ok.

I'm glad he asked!

Way to go! Responsible, knowledgeable gun owners save lives everyday. Chances are, if you had not been around, either the firearm would have been left loaded, putting his and others' lives in danger; or, the police would have arrived. Who knows where it would have gone from there.

I once had a friend who was going through a period of depression. He wasn't suicial, but he felt it best to get his firearm out of the home. I held it for for him until I was confident his issues were resolved. Six months later, life improved and I was happy to give him the gun back.

How do you know what all he told you was truth? You might end up with the police at your door for helping take a firearm illegally.

Uh, no. What he didn't wasn't a crime. Even if it technically were, he had no criminal intent, and he wasn't negligent.

Yup!

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    How do you know what all he told you was truth? You might end up with the police at your door for helping take a firearm illegally.

Ha! I'm good.. I know.... left that out for the sake of their privacy...

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    At my best friend's funeral, his dad asked me to the parking lot. He had guns from my friend's safe, and wasn't sure how to unload them.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    How would you have handled it?

With the little information provided I would not have touched it. No Doctor said this guy was mentally ill, and my first thought would be some young liberal is disarming his elder without permission. We live in a time where anti gun people will do anything to disarm someone. + You don't touch a veterans firearms without permission.

He did post again said he had first hand knowledge of the situation, and that would make a difference.

However, if someone came, and told me a story like that without first hand knowledge I would not touch the possibly stolen firearm. Who are we to judge someone defective? A real judge may ask the same question.

Last edited:

mike4sigs

Master
    Rating - 94.4%
    34   2   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Southern Adams County
    With the little information provided I would not have touched it. No Doctor said this guy was mentally ill, and my first thought would be some young liberal is disarming his elder without permission. We live in a time where anti gun people will do anything to disarm someone. + You don't touch a veterans firearms without permission.

He did post again said he had first hand knowledge of the situation, and that would make a difference.

However, if someone came, and told me a story like that without first hand knowledge I would not touch the possibly stolen firearm. Who are we to judge someone defective? A real judge may ask the same question.

I thought you just Forgot to make you first post in PURPLE .But I Guess not.
    However after reading this post and MAYBE if you are thinking letter of the law you bring up a good point . And This is a discussion Forum and we all are entitled to our Opinion.
    And mine would have pretty much Followed along the Same path as the OP.
    I think if ANYBODY asked me how to unload a gun and make it safe that they had no Knowledge of how to do I would do it. And if the Letter of the Law makes that wrong then I guess charge me and my lawyer will be getting some of my saving account .

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    I was home, minding my own business when my video doorbell altered me to a visitor. It took me a second, but I recognized him. It was my neighbor - he asked if I could help him out. A relative of his is no longer capable of owning firearms. His mental state is deteoriating and his actions from Vietnam are not helping.

I'm glad he asked!

Seems like you you took care of a situation right then and there. Good job using your initiative. People helping people good. Head in the sand worried about Perry Mason bad.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow

The decision to "disarm" was made by the relative. Who could have called the police under the Laird Law and made it a court case literally. That is far more likely what an anti-gun person would do. At which point the nice officers would clear the weapon and thoughtfully store it for said owner for up to five years, free of charge.

Neither of us know the relative like the OP does, so I wouldn't presume it was an informal gun grab. But given what the relative could have done but didn't, keeping it out of the courts seems the reasonable thing to do. Rather than resort to the State, doctors and judges to resolve it. Just me, I guess.

Also I don't know why a veteran's guns are entitled to more respect/protection than a citizen's who didn't serve? :dunno:

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    The decision to "disarm" was made by the relative. Who could have called the police under the Laird Law and made it a court case literally. That is far more likely what an anti-gun person would do. At which point the nice officers would clear the weapon and thoughtfully store it for said owner for up to five years, free of charge.

Neither of us know the relative like the OP does, so I wouldn't presume it was an informal gun grab. But given what the relative could have done but didn't, keeping it out of the courts seems the reasonable thing to do. Rather than resort to the State, doctors and judges to resolve it. Just me, I guess.

Also I don't know why a veteran's guns are entitled to more respect/protection than a citizen's who didn't serve? :dunno:

I disagree with that. If he is that dangerous he can always buy another firearm and do whatever this relative was fearful of. If reported he gets added to NICS and possibly gets the mental help he needed.

Reason you don't take a veterans guns is because you my get shot trying.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I disagree with that. If he is that dangerous he can always buy another firearm and do whatever this relative was fearful of. If reported he gets added to NICS and possibly gets the mental help he needed.

Reason you don't take a veterans guns is because you my get shot trying.

Not saying you are wrong but we all want to do what we feel is best for family.
    What was done after he was disarmed is the key here. I do not trust the authority's any farther than I can throw them. They are not to be trusted. Not the boots on the ground LEO but those who pull the strings.

Top Bottom