Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13
  1. #1
    Master

    User Info Menu

    Growth in the number of gun owners/carriers

    There are no hard numbers on how many gun owners and carriers there are although gun sales remain high despite the retirement of the salesman of many years: Barack Obama. So, is this just existing gun owners loading more safes or does it include a significant amount of new people?

    The Crime Prevention Research Center is reporting that the number of licensed gun owners is up about 8% from this time last year and up 3x (304%) since 2007. The 8% growth is good, but actually down from the average growth (9.7%) over the last 12 years.

    Bottom line: invite someone to the range.

    Alabama has the highest rate of licensed gun owners: 26.3%. Indiana is second with 17.9%. We can do better!
    California: Generates power by wind, but then shuts off the power when the wind blows.

  2. #2
    Shooter

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Phase2 View Post
    There are no hard numbers on how many gun owners and carriers there are although gun sales remain high despite the retirement of the salesman of many years: Barack Obama. So, is this just existing gun owners loading more safes or does it include a significant amount of new people?

    The Crime Prevention Research Center is reporting that the number of licensed gun owners is up about 8% from this time last year and up 3x (304%) since 2007. The 8% growth is good, but actually down from the average growth (9.7%) over the last 12 years.

    Bottom line: invite someone to the range.

    Alabama has the highest rate of licensed gun owners: 26.3%. Indiana is second with 17.9%. We can do better!
    Your right we should fight for no licensing... There shouldnt be a license to exercise a right. I would expect many states that have constitutional carry exceed those numbers.

  3. #3
    Grandmaster Sigblitz's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    Yesterday someone at work was talking to me about getting a license. Today he's $75 poorer.
    Last edited by Sigblitz; 10-09-2019 at 08:23.
    I'm gonna, riiiide 'till I can't no more.

  4. #4
    Plinker

    User Info Menu

    Yes people are buying more guns but they are buying 1 a carry gun etc. After that they have no interest and are not real gun buyers collectors etc. As stated above most have no money to pursue or finance the hobby. We are entering a time where a generation will not have financial abilities to afford guns or will they care to. I've seen it getting worse demonization of guns no money makes it worse. I think we will se a time where laws will pass to ban guns and few will care because they have no interest in them. The fact that we have a constitution and a right is irrelevant because they've been taught that is not to matter.

  5. #5
    Grandmaster

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by nhgluff View Post
    Yes people are buying more guns but they are buying 1 a carry gun etc. After that they have no interest and are not real gun buyers collectors etc. As stated above most have no money to pursue or finance the hobby. We are entering a time where a generation will not have financial abilities to afford guns or will they care to. I've seen it getting worse demonization of guns no money makes it worse. I think we will se a time where laws will pass to ban guns and few will care because they have no interest in them. The fact that we have a constitution and a right is irrelevant because they've been taught that is not to matter.

    This is not the case in my circle of friends and family.
    Yes, finances are tight for most working class people, but the younger crowd in my family has picked up where my generation left off, and without much prompting.

    My sister has two kids that were both raised as conservatives, but had never had a gun around the house, and there was no discussions about firearms.
    Both kids, one male one female, have married in the last 5 years and both now own firearms of their own and regularly visit a range.

    I have helped to teach untold numbers of new shooters through the NSSF's "First-Shots" program over the past 10 years and I'm confident that many will continue the sport.
    I know I'm responsible for at least a dozen different people acquiring their own license to carry.

    Yes, I hear a constant drumbeat of chatter telling how interest in firearms is dropping.
    It just doesn't ring true in my neck of the woods.
    Dormant U.S.Marine/ NRA Benefactor-Life

  6. #6
    Grandmaster KellyinAvon's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Sigblitz View Post
    Yesterday someone at work was talking to me about getting a license. Today he's $75 poorer.
    (Mr. Burns' voice) Excellent!
    INGOer #25,448

  7. #7
    Plinker

    User Info Menu

    As to the comment about the younger generation (my generation) not being able to afford the hobby or pursue collecting, i see at as more of a choice. My friend claimed for the past two years that he couldn't afford a gun. Instead he was buying every new game that came out, eating out almost daily and generally waiting money in every way possible except drugs and hookers. He finally purchased a handgun recently. This lack of financial responsibility is a big problem in my generation, too many people seem to make it a goal to spend everything they make that month instead of saving. I know for a fact that you dont have to be anywhere near wealthy to own multiple firearms and shoot regularly. With how cheap you can buy a decent handgun or build an AR now days, then upgrade it over time, the only thing standing in people's way of being armed is their own lack of financial discipline and poor choice of priorities.

  8. #8
    Expert russc2542's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    I feel like even though there are more people getting licenses and more gun sales going on, I worry it's not as good as we'd like:

    How many are truly interested and arming up and adopting the right mindset vs
    -Just getting a LTCH to try it out or just in case (like IN where we have a (relatively) cheap, low-requirements lifetime permit).
    -Getting on board with the idea but not really 2A people or gun people.
    -Buying a gun out of fear/impulse but will lose interest or decide it's scary after all.
    -Buying a gun to put in a shoebox in the closet "just in case".

  9. #9
    Master

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by russc2542 View Post
    I feel like even though there are more people getting licenses and more gun sales going on, I worry it's not as good as we'd like:

    How many are truly interested and arming up and adopting the right mindset vs
    -Just getting a LTCH to try it out or just in case (like IN where we have a (relatively) cheap, low-requirements lifetime permit).
    -Getting on board with the idea but not really 2A people or gun people.
    -Buying a gun out of fear/impulse but will lose interest or decide it's scary after all.
    -Buying a gun to put in a shoebox in the closet "just in case".
    Probably about the same number as those that preceded them.
    California: Generates power by wind, but then shuts off the power when the wind blows.

  10. #10
    Master Sniper 79's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    I've seen an uptick once IL lifted the ban a few years ago. New shops popped up and people were gun crazy for awhile.

    I won’t be wronged, I won’t be insulted, and I won’t be laid a hand on.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Button Dodge