• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Hamilton County
    So I have been working with my 6 year old son for a couple of years on gun safety and handling. I bought him a replica airsoft gun to help learn how handle a firearm safely first. Then I got him out to the range every week and he watched me shoot and I would quiz him on safety. Today I felt like he was ready, so I put my 22lr pistol in his hands and he did very well. Obviously his shooting in terms of accuracy was not there yet but it was actually better then I would have thought. I was just very happy and proud he handled it very safely and in a calm and mature manner. He even cleared his first malfunction! It was a great day for him and an even better one for me. I'll never forget this day!

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Well done! You've taken the time to start him on safety and it sounds like it has imprinted well and should for the rest of his life. Be sure to take pictures and save a target sheet if you haven't already.

ljk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    May 21, 2013
    I remember last year on my son's 7th birthday, I took him out of school early, had pizza for lunch and surprised him with a trip to the shooting range.

It was cold and wet, but we had the range all to ourselves.

I had built an SBR 10/22 with suppressor just for him. Everything went well, until the last gun I handed to him. It was a Ruger Mk4. I forgot about the reciprocating bolt.

The first shot he fired, the changing handle nailed him on the nose. He was crying while bleeding from a small cut.

When we got home, he was scared, my wife was pissed. Well I guess his first impression on shooting wasn't that good.

Fast forward, this year, I asked him what he wanted to do for his birthday, he surprised my with two words: "shooting range".

This time it went well and we have been going every other week.

Can't wait for my little one's first trip next year.

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    :rockwoot:

My son is 3 and were working on handling and the safety rules. After I got back from a 2 day pistol class, he asked if he can go shooting with me next time. We, of course, had to go the the safe so he could see and handle his pistol. The waiting game...

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Don't be afraid to call it quits the first time (several times) he breaks one of the 4 rules. It really drives the rules home.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    Good job. Seems like it wasn't long ago I was shooting with my son, now it is my grandson. Where do the years go?

I don't regret any time spent shooting, but shooting with kids is special. I recommend doing it frequently and often...

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Congrads! You are a good daddy! :yesway:

I have access to an outdoor range. When my daughters were first learning to shoot, I set them up (separately) with their 10/22 on the 50yd with a bunch of those little colored water balloons (with air) al over the target boards. They had so much fun because there was an instant satisfaction they could see happening. Like any reactive target I guess.

Before we packed up, I shot the balloons that were left down range. I wish we had stayed longer cause I had fun too. :crying:

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I started my boys and daughter out with a Davy Cricket 22lr. They are all grown now and that same rifle has been used teaching my grandchildren. Best investment I ever made cost a whole $109 out the door.

Top Bottom