• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    came a cross a SIRT pistol which from what I understand is supposed to aid in dry fire training and projects a light on a target when trigger is pulled. Any have any experience with them?

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Only downside to the app I found is you need grey targets, not white. And it cant be too bright in the room. It has a little trouble differentiating between a white target and a hit.

But its simple enough to fix with adjustments, the right targets, etc.

Oh, and it works with any cheap usb webcam. (dont use the one on your laptop screen) You dont need their special camera.

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    came a cross a SIRT pistol which from what I understand is supposed to aid in dry fire training and projects a light on a target when trigger is pulled. Any have any experience with them?
    Why wouldn’t one just put on a carhart and go to the outdoor range all winter and shoot real ammo? It is not crowded.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Why wouldn’t one just put on a carhart and go to the outdoor range all winter and shoot real ammo? It is not crowded.

Well my range is at a low spot and last year we had so much rain it was obnoxious. Time is a factor as well, looking for an option that would also allow for indoor use at times when it is not light out.

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    how is working on fundamentals not yield a good return? All things considered it does not take much to go through $200 in ammo.

that’s the question to task yourself to. For the total commitment in dollars and time how long is your road to fast and accurate marksmanship? It’s a personal doctrine that is going to take more than 200 rounds no matter how many indoor toy guns you play with. Sorry. Cold hard facts. Dry firing, mag changes, presentations can all be done with the gun you may own, saving you time and money so you can hand load and/or buy more ammunition.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    that’s the question to task yourself to. For the total commitment in dollars and time how long is your road to fast and accurate marksmanship? It’s a personal doctrine that is going to take more than 200 rounds no matter how many indoor toy guns you play with. Sorry. Cold hard facts. Dry firing, mag changes, presentations can all be done with the gun you may own, saving you time and money so you can hand load and/or buy more ammunition.

[STRIKE]So you are saying there is absolutely zero benefit to dry fire, or dry fire with electronic feedback like this and the only one true path to excellence is sending lead downrange?[/STRIKE]

Misread. So you are saying that there is absolutely zero benefit to a dry fire tool that will give you actual feedback on exactly what you are doing wrong so that you can correct it faster than sending lead downrange? Because things like LASR and MantisX do just that. "oh, look. When I pull the trigger I'm also pulling right."

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    [STRIKE]So you are saying there is absolutely zero benefit to dry fire, or dry fire with electronic feedback like this and the only one true path to excellence is sending lead downrange?[/STRIKE]

Misread. So you are saying that there is absolutely zero benefit to a dry fire tool that will give you actual feedback on exactly what you are doing wrong so that you can correct it faster than sending lead downrange? Because things like LASR and MantisX do just that. "oh, look. When I pull the trigger I'm also pulling right."

I never said Zero Benefit. Those are your words. I am saying these have their place in ability driven training courses. However, IMHO for most shooters trying to overcome trigger jerk, there is no need to waste resources when there are many free exercises that are money and time saving that we mastered decades before lasers. After a thorough understanding of the four step process to accurate shot placement live ammo will be greatly conserved in actual trigger time on the range really shooting at report card targets and then following the fundamental road to practice. One can try to take all the shortcuts he wants but in the end a good trainer and the commitment of being a student of the gun is more effective and less money to get where one wants to be in a skill set.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    I have one that I use laser bullets.
    I needed to purchase a different bullet for each caliber.
    For a revolver you needed one for reach chamber.
    Unless you have a Sa/Da auto.
    Every shot you needed to rack the slide.
    Problem I started to just look at the laser hit and not the sights.
    I tended to look over the weapon.
    What surprised me is the laser used up batteries quickly.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana

You should know by now that if things are not on his approved list - they have no place.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I have the LaserLyte training cartridges and love them. You can improve dry fire practice all day long while on conference calls, watching a movie or whatever.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    I have the LaserLyte training cartridges and love them. You can improve dry fire practice all day long while on conference calls, watching a movie or whatever.

That is what i was thinking, I consistently put shots on target maybe a .25 inch low, to me this is a trigger control issue. And seems to me despite consistent accuracy there is usually room for improvement.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Good: You can practice everything but recoil control.

Bad: Trigger pull isn't the same as the real deal.

Pitfalls: Not watching the front sight and honestly calling your shots. If you can't call your shots and aren't honest with yourself you can easily practice bad habits. Going through the motions without concentration. Dry fire is boring and requires mental fortitude. Personally, I can only do it and get anything out of it for 10 minute increments. Anything longer and my mind wanders to the point I'm not really helping myself. It's what separates schmucks like me from the pros.

For me personally, the cost of a surplus .40 is so close to the cost of a new SIRT, I'd rather have a real pistol to use for dry fire. I went a bit more $ and bought a retiree's gun so I could have the exact same model for training and dry fire but keep the wear and tear off my carry gun. If you're concerned about dry fire with a real gun, swap the barrel out for a yellow training barrel. I like the idea of the SIRT but until the trigger feels the same I don't think I'll invest in one.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    For me personally, the cost of a surplus .40 is so close to the cost of a new SIRT, I'd rather have a real pistol to use for dry fire. I went a bit more $ and bought a retiree's gun so I could have the exact same model for training and dry fire but keep the wear and tear off my carry gun. If you're concerned about dry fire with a real gun, swap the barrel out for a yellow training barrel. I like the idea of the SIRT but until the trigger feels the same I don't think I'll invest in one.

I'd like something that allows repeated trigger pulls without having to manually cycle the slide each time. If someone made a device that did that to an actual Glock, I'd be down with it and it would give my 26 purpose beyond taking up space in the safe.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I'd like something that allows repeated trigger pulls without having to manually cycle the slide each time. If someone made a device that did that to an actual Glock, I'd be down with it and it would give my 26 purpose beyond taking up space in the safe.

Agree. There's options out there but everyone I'm aware of change the trigger feel. I'd be more than receptive to a product that doesn't change the feel while simultaneously removing the requirement to rack the slide each time.

Top Bottom