• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    so there are times when the need arises to have a BUG. One of the requirements is totally out of sight, no holster clips etc no printing basically 100% Grey Man. I am looking for options for a micro compact 9mm. After some debating I am leaning towards possibly ankle carry inside of boots. Looks like there are options out there for ankle holsters that are similar to belly bands and some that have clips designed to clip on the side of the boot itself.

Understanding that Ankle carry has many drawbacks, have you done it was it workable? Thoughts?
    Thanks

Last edited:

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    I have a DeSantis neoprene ankle holster that I use daily. I wear it over the outside of a medium height duty boot. Works very well at carrying and concealing a 642

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Hamilton County
    Not sure if you are set on wearing it with a boot or not. But, if you are not set on the boot I use a BugBite ankle holster and it works pretty good. (For an ankle holster) Any ankle holster is defintely not ideal imo, but Im with you on the need sometimes. When I do use it, I carry my G43 and it works just fine.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Not sure if you are set on wearing it with a boot or not. But, if you are not set on the boot I use a BugBite ankle holster and it works pretty good. (For an ankle holster) Any ankle holster is defintely not ideal imo, but Im with you on the need sometimes. When I do use it, I carry my G43 and it works just fine.

Boots are my go to footwear.my thinking was the boot would prevent printing?

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    I have and have used the Galco Ankle Glove. They make an extension that you can add to it. I carried my 642 in when I was doing armed security work.
    Since Crossbreed has come along, I don't have much use for it now.

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    How secure are these holsters if you are very active, meaning if you walk fast or even jog for some distance? climbing ladders, etc?

Tactical Flannel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 28, 2012
    West Central Indiana
    I've used a Desantis for last 15yrs and now have a Galco Ankle Glove I'm trying. I ankle carry my Glock 27 in my off hours. It works for me without printing. I generally wear a hiking boot style or occasional dress shoe. It's not ideal for a primary weapon but works for me for a backup.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I have two Galco Ankle Gloves. I wear one of them every Sunday. One carries my S&W 442, the other a Sig P938. I wear them with regular shoes. I don’t think there is anything that draws attention to it.

scottka

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    SW IN
    My experience with ankle carry is limited, but I did a fair amount of research before I purchased. Can’t speak to the use for boots necessarily because it depends on what type and how tall, but I’ve been very pleased with my alien gear ankle holster. It has an ankle “sling” then the holster goes over that in a wrap type style, but with a piece of kydex/plastic that goes into the ankle sling to keep it from rotating or working down your ankle. I’ve walked probably 6-7 miles in it comfortably, but I’ve never done any jogging or anything with it.

I carry a Sig P365, and it’s an amazing combo. Highly recommended.

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    Even with boots I've never found ankle carry to be that comfortable or secure. Anything more than a brisk walk and I would feel the gun slipping. I'm not carrying light guns mind you. A 38 snub and Glock 27.

Raskolnikov

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I never liked ankle carry. I have an ankle holster around here somewhere just in case....think it's a Desantis. I never liked it. The firearm printed something terrible, and it never felt secure. My training taught me to pull from various points on the waist. I don't like the motion of having to reach down to draw, even if it is a BUG.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    I did not read any of the responses above but I will tell you what most of them said and/or will say.

Galco Ankle Glove.... Psychic right?

Galco makes a few other ankle holsters but the Galco Ankle Glove with the sheepskin padding and tooled leather fit is the best of them. I can wear it all day and forget it's there. You can also get the available calf strap if needed.

There's other cheaper ones out there. Some are even very comfortable and might work out fine but instead of buying and rebuying until you finally settle ..... just get the best now. They are very pricey but they are so worth it.

I always ankle carry while driving for a long distance. The ankle is an easy reach in the car. I will still carry it around town depending on the situation and pants. The ankle will always be my back-up-gun's back-up. Yes, that would be three. (4 if you count my car gun).

FYI- My ankle holster is for the Glock 26 but will also fit the Sig P224. Which is perfect because Galco (and most others) don't make one for the P224 because those Sigs were discontinued early on.

I'm sure you've all heard that shopping for holsters is just like shopping for hookers.
    You think paying 20 buck is a deal? Hell no. You'll get a rash, need a shot and then there's the bite marks. Who needs that?
    Dig deep and get the healthy one with all the experience. :spend:

Last edited:

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    De Santis Apache forever with a G-27, but............I just ordered a Gould and Goodrich lace into boot system to try, but ankle carry is good also for long drives too, and also a good way to get shot in the top of your head.

wildcatfan.62

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 9, 2011
    South Bend
    I've used the Galco Ankle Glove for a few years when I need to deep conceal carry. I wear boots to work. The Galco doesn't slip for me. I have to climb in and out of a truck all day and climb on machinery. It hides the gun under blue jeans with no problem. I've carried a Glock 26 and Ruger LCP when I do.

If you decide to try it, practice, practice and then practice. Other than sitting/driving it's not an easy draw but can be done. Better to have than to want....
    Good luck.

510picker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2017
    Martinsville
    I am in a wheelchair, so ankle carry or a chest holster are really my only options for concealed carry. I chose to ankle carry my LC9s and use a Bugbite holster. It works very well for me and holds the firearm very securely. It doesn't print when wearing loose fitting jeans or dress pants, which is very important since my legs are right out front when seated in my chair.

https://bugbiteholsters.com/the-bugbite-holster/

Top Bottom