• ...and so much more!
  • Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Picked up the first deer of my season this morning.
    It was easy. Lying on the roadside, I had to drag it all of about 15 feet to the truck.
    Early this morning (5:30am) I got a call from our local police department about a road-kill.
    It is a very small button buck, but hardly any damage so there's a good bit of meat to be retrieved from this one.

I've been on the county road-kill list (for deer) for more than 30 years and couldn't begin to tell you how much venison I've put in a freezer from road-kill alone.
    In one years time I picked up 9 deer from my county's road-kill list.
    That season I filled my freezer, my brothers freezer, my nieces freezer, and gave some to the neighbors across the street.
    It has been sparse in the last year or two, but I generally get one or two calls per season.

Years back I got a call about a deer that had been poached.
    They caught the guy in the act of field dressing this deer so they made him finish, and then made him drop the deer at a local check station.
    That time I picked up a doe that might have run 160lbs dressed, and I didn't even have to clean it!
    Never know how much meat, if any, can be salvaged from a road-kill, until you dress them out.

Thinking about some Bambi-Q this afternoon.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Thank you for serving the community. Somebody has to do it and it sounds like you have got down pat.

No problem.
    I have myself to feed, a brother with 5 people to feed, a niece with 5 people to feed, and I also have 3 dogs that clean up the scraps, and anything that's been hit too hard by a vehicle.
    Dogs couldn't care less about jellied meat, and that just means I don't have to buy that much dog food.

It's a labor of love.

jy951

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Feb 18, 2009
    With the price of beef these days, you must save a ton of money and get healthier protein. Good for you.

w_ADAM_d88

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Greenfield
    Quick question... if you don't want it/need it or aren't available at the time (work, out of town, etc.) do you just tell them over the phone and they go to the next person on the list?

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Thank you for serving the community. Somebody has to do it and it sounds like you have got down pat.

You make it sound like it's hard to find people. I used to have a rotation of people that I called whenever someone hit a deer. They were like "Give me 10 minutes." I've had more brats, jerky, and stews than I knew what the deal with.

Top Bottom