• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    Sometimes I see ARs with short buffer tubes, particularly on pistol builds. What’s the deal with these? How do the buffer systems operate?

A quick google search shows systems from $50-$200. What brands are good, and what have been your experiences?

AlienRayGun

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 28, 2019
    Indy
    Sometimes I see ARs with short buffer tubes, particularly on pistol builds. What’s the deal with these?

Looking for clarification of your question...

There are pistol length "receiver extensions" (official name of the buffer tube assembly), and then there are a couple companies that make "really short" buffer tubes.

But you are just referencing the 'shorter' pistol vs 'longer' rifle buffer tubes right?

How do the buffer systems operate?

How much detail do you want?

Essentially the buffer assembly allows the reciprocation of the bolt after firing a round. Absorbing the recoil and then forcing the bolt forward into a locked position again.

They can be tuned, by varying the springs and the weights in the buffer.

A quick google search shows systems from $50-$200. What brands are good, and what have been your experiences?

Pretty much like anything on this planet, price variances indicate quality and/or greed from the manufacturer.

Just because it's expensive, doesn't mean it's the best, and just because it's inexpensive doesn't mean it's cheap. Cheap is cheap and should be avoided, but as I said, that doesn't mean the inexpensive one. Not a lot can go wrong on a buffer tube, so the higher prices, typically reflect 'feature set'. Such as reducing sound, reducing length, reducing felt recoil, etc.

If you are depending on your rifle to save your life, I wouldn't go the least expensive route. However, if it's just a plinking gun, there's no point in getting in deep in money, on a buffer tube, there's lots of other areas that you can sink your money into on an AR, haha.

Since most of mine are for fun, they get the least expensive (not cheapest) that I can buy. Usually off Armslist, and I haven't paid more than $30 for one.

Did I answer any of your questions? Need any clarifications?

Last edited:
    Top Bottom