• ...and so much more!
  • doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I love buying, shooting, then selling a gun and moving on to the next one: "The Hunt."
    I keep a gun anywhere from only a few days to over a year, but some it's getting harder to let go of the ones that have been around awhile.

With some anguish I've sold a dozen .22LRs revolvers down to just one.
    But, I bought a couple more for temporary fun but can't seem to part with them (totally different from each other & I love the differences). :wallbash:
    I have sold down to only two semi-automatic .22LRs, a SW 41 & a Ruger Mark 3 w/Volquartsen barrel w/trigger work, and can't go any further, which I wanted to have only 1 gun in a genre.
    But, I have not done as well in the other calibers (after eliminating a few calibers early on).

The other calibers are what is giving me the most grief.
    I've been trying to sell 1 gun per week since retired.
    Just tonight I was looking for my next gun to sell (after selling 5 in 3 weeks).
    A Bersa TPR9c (Glock 26 & CZ Rami type) and a S/W model 10-6 .38 sp. bought as a house gun revolver, even though I have other 2 other revolvers that would suffice.
    But, I just couldn't list them, either of them.

Then there is multiple 9mms.
    How many 9mms does a person need? :dunno:
    But, how do you sell a CZ Shadow 2 that is the best gun you've ever owned and the only one the Wizard did some work on?
    But, I haven't shot it in months b/c I'm always playing with my .22LRs (like I thought I would when retired).
    I have a SW gen 3 gun that I don't need at all and should sell it, but I just love it for reasons I can't describe, but it is not a range tool or a CC.

Some things I will not part with b/c they are "tools," like my two CC revolvers (Ruger LCR .38 & Kimber .357). I like having a light & a heavier CC revolver.
    The easy decisions have been made and the tough ones.
    Now, the tougher decisions are pending.

Last edited:

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    262   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    Gun Owner (A)
    Has a moderate to large collection of guns simply because they want them and the guns don't necessarily need to fill any kind of certain role for them. Sure they have some basic guns for basic needs, but the rest are just stuff they like, so they simply own them and they don't need to justify to themselves why they have them.

Gun Owner (B)
    Can't afford to have a huge collection, so they only have a few to fill very basic needs, such as a sidearm/carry gun and a rifle or shotgun.

Gun Owner (C)
    Is stuck in between A & B. They can't afford the collection that person A has, but really like way too many guns to settle for what person B has. So they are constantly struggling to try and be both persons A & B at the same time.

Gun Owner (D)
    Managed to accomplish what person C desires and is in complete harmony with themselves, but won't reveal their secret to person C, which puts person C into further distress.

doddg, you are person C. I sympathize. :)

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Buy some old guns, those are the ones you keep.

I do love the 3 older revolvers I have; the other two could be sold, and bought again later (which I've done repeats on a few guns).
    It speaks to the antique world that I grew up in, which I appreciated, whether it was furniture, old houses or cars.

Just sell it all. We know that's what you'll do anyways.

That's the problem. I can't sell some of the ones I've got b/c I like them better than the dozens of other guns I have sold.
    Like, I regret not hanging onto the Ruger 351 PD .22 Magnum just "because."
    By the way, I think you were the one posting that SW 5906 that sent me down the wonderful gen 2 route I enjoyed to much.
    I've got the S/W 4006 .40 caliber now since it had rear adjustable sights that I wanted.

GMv4G0d.jpg

But, you are right: if I sold everything, I would just buy another "group" and start all over.
    Until it quit being fun. This is a hobby for me.

Gun Owner (A)
    Has a moderate to large collection of guns simply because they want them and the guns don't necessarily need to fill any kind of certain role for them. Sure they have some basic guns for basic needs, but the rest are just stuff they like, so they simply own them and they don't need to justify to themselves why they have them.

Gun Owner (B)
    Can't afford to have a huge collection, so they only have a few to fill very basic needs, such as a sidearm/carry gun and a rifle or shotgun.

Gun Owner (C)
    Is stuck in between A & B. They can't afford the collection that person A has, but really like way too many guns to settle for what person B has. So they are constantly struggling to try and be both persons A & B at the same time.

Gun Owner (D)
    Managed to accomplish what person C desires and is in complete harmony with themselves, but won't reveal their secret to person C, which puts person C into further distress.

doddg, you are person C. I sympathize. :)

:rofl: Perfect analogy. That's me, stuck between 2 worlds and not fitting in to either. :dunno:

Last edited:

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Then there is multiple 9mms.
    How many 9mms does a person need? :dunno:

Many years ago I thought I had no use for any 9mm PERIOD and now have a few Sigs , Glock 48 and Smith Shield. The gun I thought was the ultimate 9mm - the P226 - is the one I will most likely part with as soon as I can find the rear sight! Plus it sounds like I will be buying a Glock 17 or 34 soon , both 9mms. But as one gun guy told me many years ago - I does not cost anything to keep a gun.

I think I have enough 22s but there is always one that catches my interest. I am complete on 357s or so I think. I am perfectly content on having just one 44 mag handgun. Have one pinned/recessed Smith 66-1 ,can't see the sights well at all these days but still have a hard time parting with it.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Many years ago I thought I had no use for any 9mm PERIOD and now have a few Sigs , Glock 48 and Smith Shield. The gun I thought was the ultimate 9mm - the P226 - is the one I will most likely part with as soon as I can find the rear sight! Plus it sounds like I will be buying a Glock 17 or 34 soon , both 9mms. But as one gun guy told me many years ago - I does not cost anything to keep a gun.

I think I have enough 22s but there is always one that catches my interest. I am complete on 357s or so I think. I am perfectly content on having just one 44 mag handgun. Have one pinned/recessed Smith 66-1 ,can't see the sights well at all these days but still have a hard time parting with it.

The Sig Sauer 226 is a highly recommended gun that has eluded me, there is never one "on sale."
    I hear you on the "enough" of .22LRs, but there is always one that catches your interest.
    I can't believe I bought the Hi-Standard nickel, 9 shot revolver with the swing-out barrel, and I'm not sorry I did it, but after I've had my fun with it, I'll sell it.
    I just never know whether that will be a week or months, but, as you said: it doesn't cost anything to hold onto a gun.
    I generally have to sell something, though, to have the money to buy a replacement.
    I feel your pain about not seeing the sights!
    My fluorescent white, red and green paints for the front sights have saved me many a time!

AlienRayGun

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 28, 2019
    Indy
    Just tonight I was looking for my next gun to sell (after selling 5 in 3 weeks).
    A Bersa TPR9c (Glock 26 & CZ Rami type) and a S/W model 10-6 .38 sp.
    But, I just couldn't list them, either of them.

If you want to sell that Bersa, I'll give her a good home for you. And you won't have to list it then

I've been looking for another Bersa Thunder Plus to replace the one I sold at the beginning of this year. And I know that if I spend my money on a different Bersa model, instantly a half dozen Thunder+ will show up on Armslist.

Yeah, This Is Big Brain Time

Last edited:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Doddg- Friday was my Bday, just in case you desire to gift me a gun lol

WOW! You are a blast from the past!
    Good to hear from you! :thumbsup:
    How's that working out for you getting members to gift you guns?
    I'm lucky to get some range passes from family in the past; I'm going for ammo this time. :laugh:

Seancass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Near Whiteland, IN
    If you like two guns "in the same genre" because they're different, then they're not in the same genre! Thus, you can keep them both and redefine your categories.

I also hate the thought of selling something I like because of a rule that I made up*. But I do like reading along occasionally! I hope you're enjoying the hobby and not bringing unnecessary stress into your own life.

*That said, i have sold guns I like. They weren't getting used, or enjoyed, and they were replaceable if I changed my mind in the future.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    In the last 2 years I sold a pistol and a shotgun. They went to good homes and are petted daily. I do not understand this orphaning of guns. Perhaps if you had a fundraiser with Sally Struthers, you could keep the family together. Just 17 cents a day could feed them a nourishing round meal.

dbg326

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2018
    Wells, ME
    I'm not in a position where I really want to sell anything... probably should... but if I had to let one go, it'd be my .303 SMLE sporter. With that being said, I've also toyed with the idea of selling it to fund a No.4 MKI. What can I say, I like old, relatively inexpensive milsurps?.. So I'm not sure I'm a good influence.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I will let things go to replace them with other things in the safe but being a tinker at heart I always put way to much time/effort/funds into any and all of the safes occupants. So when it comes time I prepare myself to take a serious hit in the shorts.That is all par of the game.

I have 3 wheel guns that are basic and as built. The rest are full of new stuff. Folks are not always prepared to pay for the new stuff.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    WOW! You are a blast from the past!
    Good to hear from you! :thumbsup:
    How's that working out for you getting members to gift you guns?
    I'm lucky to get some range passes from family in the past; I'm going for ammo this time. :laugh:

Not so well to be honest lol. I have sold a few guns over the years that I really enjoyed shooting but just didn't get as much range time with as I would've liked..I almost always regret it. But, only because I absolutely hate taking the hit on it. I'd rather hang on to something that isn't currently costing me a penny than to sell it and lose on the deal.

Top Bottom