• ...and so much more!
  • AGarbers

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Martinsville
    [video=youtube_share;IUHZX7C_73o]https://youtu.be/IUHZX7C_73o[/video]

This young man is Matt Black, four-time champion in SASS.

Last edited:

AGarbers

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Martinsville
    My best time is about five times as long, but I get five times the fun too! My best time is around 35 seconds, but I also have to shoot with one hand and my shotgun has external hammers so that adds time. If I had all the special gear Matt has, I'm sure I could shave my time down to 33 seconds!:rockwoot:

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Yikes, that is insane.

For comparison, it took me 21 seconds to knock down six plates with a single gun (Remington 1875 in .45). Jerry Miculek I am not. :laugh:

I need to see if I can work my 1873 Winchester faster like that. I've always cycled the lever, aimed, and then fired. I guess I should see if I can make the lever and trigger pull one continuous motion.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Yikes, that is insane.

For comparison, it took me 21 seconds to knock down six plates with a single gun (Remington 1875 in .45). Jerry Miculek I am not. :laugh:

I need to see if I can work my 1873 Winchester faster like that. I've always cycled the lever, aimed, and then fired. I guess I should see if I can make the lever and trigger pull one continuous motion.

I am putting even money on the fact that none of those guns are as built or even close.

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    I am putting even money on the fact that none of those guns are as built or even close.

Oh for sure and frankly, I don't have reflexes fast enough to make use of them even if they were. I did pick up my 1873 from a cowboy shooter who was getting out of the game, so it has been slicked up. The Remington on the other hand is straight up factory from Uberti. Plus, I personally prefer heavier loads and 7.5" barrels for more punch on knocking down plates. It looks like from the videos, they are looking for speed and just putting shots on torso sized plates at extremely close range. So I guess you can get away with some extremely light loads.

I've been shooting .45 LC from Choice Ammunition in two different varieties. I mostly have their 200gr RNFP "Hi-TEK Supercoat" rounds, which seem to hit 950 FPS. Those knock down plates with authority, out of the rifle and the pistol. But I also picked up some of their cowboy loads, which use the same 200gr bullet, but stumbling along at 450 FPS. While those may meet the power factor for SASS, I do know that unless I'm hitting the plates pretty much near the top, there is no guarantee that they will be knocked down. They often just bounce a bit and then stay upright. They certainly won't drop the plates if the lifting arm is still up.

Granted, I don't know even know what caliber the guy is shooting in the video. He may be doing .357/.38 for all I know, which might let him go even faster. Either way, that kid is amazingly talented.

worddoer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   1
    Jul 25, 2011
    Wells County
    That's fast.

Well, of course it was. He was using one of those full semi-automatic 30 caliber clipazine guns with a shoulder thing that goes up and shoots 30 .30cal bullets in half a second using those heat seeking armor piercing bullets. It all must be banned...for the children...ya, that's it! Well, except for me and my security team. They need all the scary stuff to protect me because I'm more important than everyone else.

***(For some reason those in progressive areas seem to have the purple broken on their computers. Hence the reason for this explanation that the above is written with sarcasm in mind. Apply purple as needed.)

zachcz

CZ is just better.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Jul 2, 2019
    Shelbyville
    Speed videos always surprise me. May be about time to start getting in some local competitions instead of just plinking at range

AGarbers

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Martinsville
    Warning: CAS is addicting.

No, no it's not! I DO NOT HAVE A PROBLEM AND I DON'T NEED ANY HELP!.

I admit I need help... paying for pistols that I now seem to need to buy in pairs. And then I need to get holsters that match the size and era of the pistols. While I'm at it another lever-action rifle would be nice. Oooh, hey, long range shooting looks like fun too so I need a Shiloh Sharps. Now that I have a Shiloh Sharps, I need to start stepping up my game on casting premium 535-grain bullets so I need some expensive molds, which of course don't come with handles. Yeah, and my 45-70 cases are mixed head stamps and they need to match for accuracy's sake so I need 250 Starline 45-70 cases... or should I make it 500, just so I'm not being affected by a sizing issue a few years from now... And lets not forget the two Dillon 550s (one for .45 Colt and one for .357) because using a 35-year old Lyman Orange Crusher just wasn't getting the job done shooting SASS and NCOWS every month. But I still needed the Lyman because an original 1880s Colt Lightning followed me home for pocket pistol matches and now I need .38 Colt rounds using APP for powder so I need more Starline brass. The Colt was lonely so I bought another 1870s Colt Newline in .38 Colt because, well, you know I already had everything I needed to reload for it so it just seems silly to not buy it. And as long as I was buying 19th Century pocket pistols, why not buy the Forehand & Wadsworth Bulldog from Beowuff??? The problem is now I need to buy molds and brass for .32 S&W. Thank the Almighty for Starline brass and their selection of obsolete cartridges!
    Nope, no problem at all...

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    Yep, no problem at all! Too bad ya moved or I'd set you up with those .32 bullets. And the .45-70, 45 Colt, .357s, oh, and the .38 Colts. Dang man.

Top Bottom