• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN
    My apologies if this has been posted already: https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/...ots-her-three-children-dead-in-murder-suicide

After her divorce was finalized, and she had long fights with physical ailments, depression, and anxiety, Ashley Auzenne murdered her three children aged 11, 9, and 7 before turning the gun on herself.

While it would be tempting to talk about how anti-gun activists have committed more mass shootings than the NRA, can we as a country instead of continuing to try to strip rights from the law abiding, now start to look at the role mental health plays in the decision in these shootings?

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Certainly a sad tragedy, particularly for the children. When anti gun groups compile statistics for support of gun control laws they include instances like this. lt makes me wonder when you break down the statistics what the numbers really are.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    One of the things we can thank our legislators for, mostly Republican, whether we want to admit it or not, is closing our state mental hospitals, and dismantling our welfare system.
    In the late twenty oughts we were at a point where it we had produced the political will, we could have both reformed the social welfare system and the mental health system. To me what that would have looked like included the time limits on certain kinds of aid that were implemented, but it would also have included a more stringent entry portal and back to work requirements. I think one area where we really mess up is completely cutting off a person's eligibility to receive certain benefits if they obtain even part time work, instead of a gradual scaling back as their earned income increases. If you're tempted to call me a nanny statist at this point, go ahead. But I know of more than one person who simply elected NOT to work because the numbers worked against them if they did. That's dumb on our part if we really want to thin the roles and get them back into the workforce.
    Mental health care is a whole different ball of wax. We needed to make the entry portals EASIER to navigate, and figure out a way for working poor to be able to get counselling without having to make dire budgetary sacrifice. We also need to admit to ourselves that some of us will never be able to live out in society, and we need safe, affordable places to house them.
    While I'm the last one that wants to incentivize nonproductivity, we all know there are people among us who just plain need help.
    Until and unless we make welfare reform and mental health care priorities, we all will continue to pay way more than we need to to house the most mentally ill in prisons, we'll continue to see mass murders occur, whether firearms are involved or not, and we'll continue not fulfilling our promise as the best political and economic system.
    Bottom line, what we're doing, and not doing costs way more than just doing it right, and we look like dicks.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    My apologies if this has been posted already: https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/...ots-her-three-children-dead-in-murder-suicide

After her divorce was finalized, and she had long fights with physical ailments, depression, and anxiety, Ashley Auzenne murdered her three children aged 11, 9, and 7 before turning the gun on herself.

While it would be tempting to talk about how anti-gun activists have committed more mass shootings than the NRA, can we as a country instead of continuing to try to strip rights from the law abiding, now start to look at the role mental health plays in the decision in these shootings?

No.

That's too hard and doesn't fit the agenda.

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    Certainly a sad tragedy, particularly for the children. When anti gun groups compile statistics for support of gun control laws they include instances like this. lt makes me wonder when you break down the statistics what the numbers really are.

Last I heard, suicides accounted for more than half of "gun deaths".

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    My heart sinks to new lows when these things happen.
    That this woman was not realized as being in serious need and let go is to me just wrong. I did not read the article but can only wonder what her "X" is about and WTAF he was.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Our suicide rate is 15 per 100k. Russia has 2x more at 30 per 100k. Why are they so much higher than ours? Two times the suicides we have now can you imagine what the media would be doing here?

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Yeah, I saw this headline yesterday or so. Sad. Part of me is tempted to come up with some pithy one-liner about this or blame it on something (or someone) but it's too sad. Sometimes people do evil things. It's just the state of our fallen world.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Mental illness is so common among gun owners but mostly it is harmless--autism and psds displayed here on INGO.

The trick is to separate it from enjoying civil rights and treat it as the public health crisis that it is again.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Think of the possibilities if our Federal Government diverted the money spent on, oh let's say housing, food, and medical services for illegal emigrants to programs focused on US citizens with mental health issues.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Think of the possibilities if our Federal Government diverted the money spent on, oh let's say housing, food, and medical services for illegal emigrants to programs focused on US citizens with mental health issues.

What a concept but that expenditure does not build a block of voters.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees

What a concept but that expenditure does not build a block of voters.

If I'm not mistaken, that is precisely why governments got out of the mental hospital game. After abuses on all levels were revealed, the cost to fix it was salty. So they bailed.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    We are still not in the top 10 in the world for suicide. Japan is and there are hardly guns there.

And a lot of those are to due to their work. The Japanese are lauded for their strong work ethic. But too much is too much and it will take a toll. Our Japanese expats I work with don't want to go back to Japan after they spend a few years working here.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Mental health is getting worse.

Kids are being damaged in thw womb by drug use, and many are being damaged by crappy environment once they pop out.

Add the current shallow social media junk, the pseudo living.......trophies for 10th place....

And you have a culture that doesnt demand people get their act together. And when they realize theyve fallen for the BS, its often too much to handle.

Dont blame rhe Repubs for not fixing the system.
    Even if we had a good system itd be overrun by the massive wave of progressive failures and legit damaged before birth types.

Drugs are a biggie....before or after birth.

Dunno if mentals drawn to it or the substances change hardbwiring

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    My heart sinks to new lows when these things happen.
    That this woman was not realized as being in serious need and let go is to me just wrong. I did not read the article but can only wonder what her "X" is about and WTAF he was.

So far all the stories I've read have her friends and family, and the husband and his family saying "I had no idea she would every hurt her kids", so I don't see that the guy on the other end of the divorce papers would, who was probably advised by his lawyer to be careful with his contacts, would be the guy to dump on.

She filed for divorce two years ago (twice actually), and got an unpleasant surprise when the judge told her that if she could not move the children out of town, and if she stayed in the family home she would have to pay rent to her ex-husband. Frankly I am surprised by that, husbands/fathers usually seem to get thoroughly reamed in these things, so I wonder if it indicates some issues on her part. But not enough issues to place the kids with him, apparently.

It doesn't appear that her anti-gun activism was sufficiently worthy to be mentioned in the MSM reports I've read, just the Washington Examiner and some blog/aggregator type sites.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Almost 40 years ago I worked with a young lady who had recently married.
    Her and her husband were "good people", and fun to hang out with.
    Several of us that worked together would go to the bar together after work on Fridays and unwind.

Seemingly normal people.
    I quit that job and moved on.
    Years later I ran into her and found out she had 3 kids, all boys, and said "life was good".

About 2 years after I ran into her last, I read a tragic story in the local newspaper.
    This seemingly normal woman drugged her 3 young boys, then threw them off the top of a parking garage here in town, then jumped herself.
    None survived, and I still wonder to this day, what the hell was wrong with her...

Top Bottom