• Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    Ken Hackathorn and Bill Wilson...

[video=youtube;xDyulW4-xh8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDyulW4-xh8[/video]

I half to agree with most of this. The Dots are here to stay but need to be perfected for street carry. They are in the flip phone or pager stage right now. Striker fired guns have their compromises with the casual gun owner.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    Ken was all over the place. Democrats would have won if the NRA backed them. Red dots are the future but there's virtually no positive points to support it. Glock is the future. The new market wants cheap guns. Sig sucks but they were the cheaper bid. People will build a Glock before they build a 6920. 9mm is the future and will remain affordable. I think he could be right, about something.:dunno:

I'll poke the bear.:stickpoke:My smoothest, most accurate shooter is a 1911. Going to war, I'll take the Glock that's always on and sloppy just enough to be reliable. Going to the BBQ or the range, watch out paper.

Last edited:

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    Actually in between the lines of Hacks message is first an Italian Corporation and now a German Corporation became the supplier of our American Forces. Sad.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    I half to agree with most of this. The Dots are here to stay but need to be perfected for street carry. They are in the flip phone or pager stage right now. Striker fired guns have their compromises with the casual gun owner.

The RMR type 2 isn't good enough?

[video=youtube;2yzpJBrLU5U]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yzpJBrLU5U[/video]

I doubt most guns would survive the abuse the RMR can handle, lol. I daily carry one.
    Just change the battery on your birthday every year and you don't need to worry about it.

The rest of the market has a VERY long way to go, though. The RMR is the only sight up to being seriously used.

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    The RMR type 2 isn't good enough?

[video=youtube;2yzpJBrLU5U]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yzpJBrLU5U[/video]

I doubt most guns would survive the abuse the RMR can handle, lol. I daily carry one.
    Just change the battery on your birthday every year and you don't need to worry about it.

The rest of the market has a VERY long way to go, though. The RMR is the only sight up to being seriously used.

whatever the best dot is now will be outdated in 10 years. More than likely we will see a whole new platform which may include a 70% size reduction in mass material and a different light/power source. Just sayin.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    whatever the best dot is now will be outdated in 10 years. More than likely we will see a whole new platform which may include a 70% size reduction in mass material and a different light/power source. Just sayin.

The main fault of the RMR as it is, is the size of the window being too small.

You don't want to reduce the size, you want to increase it.

The geometry was already sorted out with the owl ears to create a sight of useable size, albeit on the small side, but as strong as materials will allow.
    Battery life may improve, but being that it's already good to go for a year+ between battery swaps, I don't see that mattering much.

This is the exact same debate that happened with the RDS on the rifle initially. The equipment was more than good enough, people in the know ran it, while others scoffed and couldn't understand the benefits. Meanwhile they were giving up a game changing force multiplier that eventually they submitted to defeat on and acknowledged it changed the game for good.

TBH the main problem with handgun RDS isn't the sights themselves, it's the lack of a formalized training program for their usage. They are not something you pick up immediately and improve your shooting with. They require dedicated practice and muscle memory, as well as forgetting a lot of things you know about shooting a handgun, before their benefits begin to show. The amount of people who prefer running BUIS with an RDS demonstrate the need for formalized training, as that creates training scars. If you are finding the dot by using the BUIS, you are throwing away every advantage the RDS gives you in speed, consistency, and accuracy.

To anyone who is getting a RDS for their handgun, leave the BUIS off of it until you are comfortable and confident in your training with the RDS. They will only slow you down. Once you have your muscle memory and shooting perfected with the RDS, then feel free to add them back. Considering the body geometry of the RMR, even if you have a 1 in a billion failure situation, the body of the sight is still more than suitable to use as a rudimentary sight, just practice with it and you will realize this.

Last edited:

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Good information. I would have thought the size on RDS on a handgun would not matter so much.

The bigger the window, the easier it is to track the dot through recoil. When you can watch exactly what the gun is doing in recoil, you can achieve speeds and accuracy that simply aren't possible with iron sights.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Doubt if there will be windows in the future gen of RDS.

Holographic projection isn't possible without either a medium to project it on, or lasers that literally ignite the air into a little ball of plasma.

Doubt that's going to become an optic any time in the foreseeable future.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Ken was all over the place. Democrats would have won if the NRA backed them. Red dots are the future but there's virtually no positive points to support it. Glock is the future. The new market wants cheap guns. Sig sucks but they were the cheaper bid. People will build a Glock before they build a 6920. 9mm is the future and will remain affordable. I think he could be right, about something.:dunno:

I'll poke the bear.:stickpoke:My smoothest, most accurate shooter is a 1911. Going to war, I'll take the Glock that's always on and sloppy just enough to be reliable. Going to the BBQ or the range, watch out paper.
    Take enough positions, one of them will be right.

And yes, 1911s are classic and fun, but utterly obsolete as combat sidearms.

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    Holographic projection isn't possible without either a medium to project it on, or lasers that literally ignite the air into a little ball of plasma.

Doubt that's going to become an optic any time in the foreseeable future.

Doubt if its Holographic but a contained unit within the slide and/ or rear sight. More than likely I will not be around to see it but I know the Military has been working on this along with GPS and radar guided bullets.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Doubt if its Holographic but a contained unit within the slide and/ or rear sight. More than likely I will not be around to see it but I know the Military has been working on this along with GPS and radar guided bullets.

Such a system already exists.

3Eu3mqM.jpg

mZC8QsQ.jpg

It's not going to be nearly as tough or as useful as a proper RMR, but it exists.

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    Such a system already exists.

3Eu3mqM.jpg

mZC8QsQ.jpg

It's not going to be nearly as tough or as useful as a proper RMR, but it exists.

IMHO The power source and object (light or otherwise) will be contained within the rear sight/slide and a protective channel will be milled thru the middle sight plane and always be on. It will project not much higher than a typical bomar now. At first the front sight will still be available for cowitness but eventually there slide will be made clean. What we are using today will compare to blackpowder guns now.

Top Bottom