4473 bypass......with Ohio carry permit?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nick112288

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2015
    Lawrenceburg
    So I picked up a new gun last night and I was talking to my local dealer I always use. Told him how I had just got approved for my Ohio carry permit. I live in Indiana but work in Cincinnati so I keep both an Indiana and Ohio permit.

He got a funny look on his face when i was filling out the 4473 and I asked what was up and he said I might not even have to input this.

I immediately knew what he was talking about since in Ohio being a permit holder means they don't have to get NICS approval before you leave with the gun. Indiana as we know is not the case with their permit.

He went back and forth and finally decided to play it safe and run a NICS check ( I told him do whatever he wants because usually the approval comes back before I'm even done taking the transfer fee out of my wallet).

But for my own curiosity would a valid Ohio concealed carry permit allow an Indiana resident, picking up in Indiana, skip the NICS check?

Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Porter county
    When Illinois residents buy long guns here, the local FFL's require that the Illinois buyer wait 24 hours. Illinois requires a 24 hour background check for each purchase. As far as I know, this check is not performed for Illinois buyers in Indiana. For reasons unbeknownst to me, our local dealers still comply with the 24 hour holding period.

It seems that other states' law are being enforced in our state in this situation. I hypothesize that Indiana's purchasing laws apply to us even when we are in other states as well. I am not a lawyer, this is my best guess

nick112288

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2015
    Lawrenceburg
    An Indiana resident purchasing firearms in Indiana does not have anything to do with Ohio law.

When Illinois residents buy long guns here, the local FFL's require that the Illinois buyer wait 24 hours. Illinois requires a 24 hour background check for each purchase. As far as I know, this check is not performed for Illinois buyers in Indiana. For reasons unbeknownst to me, our local dealers still comply with the 24 hour holding period.

It seems that other states' law are being enforced in our state in this situation. I hypothesize that Indiana's purchasing laws apply to us even when we are in other states as well. I am not a lawyer, this is my best guess

This is not state law. This is BATFE certifying that an Ohio Concealed Handgun License is a valid NICS-compliant background check for firearm purchases. When you get an Ohio CHL they run the same background check as a NICS.

I don't think the states actually have any say in how the Feds approve or disapprove a 4473 do they?

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    It's the background check gets waivered, sort of.. You still have to do a 4473. Indiana was sort of the same prior to the 1994 crime bill and the instant check if you remember back then there was a waiting period of 7 days for a handgun purchase unless you had a LTCH then you went home with it that day.

Ohio's permit covers the dealer on any state requirement that ATF accepts as a background however a 4473 is a Federal requirement for the dealer

Disgruntled0321

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2019
    In a compound
    Indiana will be going to back to doing this also in June or July of next year as long as the purchasing party has one of the new 5 year LTCH. However the lifetime LTCH will not work to do this with. Makes no sense to me but according to the new law the lifetime LTCH will not be eligible to do the NICS waiver. It can only be done with the new 5 yr LTCH. FFL dealers should reciever more information on this soon before the new LTCH law goes into effect or shortly after. The FFL still has to have a filled out 4473 and a copy of the 5 yr LTCH along with the copy of the Drivers License
    and the info has to be recorded on the 4473 in its respective place. Also as many of you know the new 5 yr LTCH will be free to Indiana residents.

nick112288

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2015
    Lawrenceburg
    It's the background check gets waivered, sort of.. You still have to do a 4473. Indiana was sort of the same prior to the 1994 crime bill and the instant check if you remember back then there was a waiting period of 7 days for a handgun purchase unless you had a LTCH then you went home with it that day.

Ohio's permit covers the dealer on any state requirement that ATF accepts as a background however a 4473 is a Federal requirement for the dealer

I'm only 31 so no I was not aware of that.

And we knew I still had to fill out the 4473, just not the having to submit it for approval

Disgruntled0321

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2019
    In a compound
    I'm only 31 so no I was not aware of that.

And we knew I still had to fill out the 4473, just not the having to submit it for approval

When the new LTCH law goes into effect here next year you'll still have to fill the 4473 out here too. The FFL dealer just wont be required to call it in if you have one of the new 5 yr LTCH licenses. So itll be the same deal.

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    Indiana will be going to back to doing this also in June or July of next year as long as the purchasing party has one of the new 5 year LTCH. However the lifetime LTCH will not work to do this with. Makes no sense to me but according to the new law the lifetime LTCH will not be eligible to do the NICS waiver. It can only be done with the new 5 yr LTCH. FFL dealers should reciever more information on this soon before the new LTCH law goes into effect or shortly after. The FFL still has to have a filled out 4473 and a copy of the 5 yr LTCH along with the copy of the Drivers License
    and the info has to be recorded on the 4473 in its respective place. Also as many of you know the new 5 yr LTCH will be free to Indiana residents.

I presume the 5 year deal being accepted over the lifetime is to keep it honest so nobody slips through the cracks. Sort of related theor and, even some LE agencies require periodic re investigations To catch anything that shouldn't be there. People are well people and sometimes an issue happens that they dont disclose.

Disgruntled0321

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2019
    In a compound
    I presume the 5 year deal being accepted over the lifetime is to keep it honest so nobody slips through the cracks. Sort of related theor and, even some LE agencies require periodic re investigations To catch anything that shouldn't be there. People are well people and sometimes an issue happens that they dont disclose.

I could see how that would be an issue.

nick112288

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2015
    Lawrenceburg
    When the new LTCH law goes into effect here next year you'll still have to fill the 4473 out here too. The FFL dealer just wont be required to call it in if you have one of the new 5 yr LTCH licenses. So itll be the same deal.

I know no matter what I have to fill out a 4473, he just was excited at me being a non-resident Ohio holder and I guess wanted to experiment with skipping the call/computer input.

I don't care either way, submit or bypass the submittal. I was just asking incase he decided to bypass it next time.

ETA: I have an Indiana life time so the indiana 5 year doesn't matter to me

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    Just wondering, if the 5 year permit means you won't have to wait for BATF approval if Indiana will let you hold both a lifetime and a 5 year permit at the same time? I have bought many firearms and never had a delay or rejection so not a big issue but could save some time.

DataGeek19

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 9, 2017
    Southern Indiana

The 5 yr license has been available as of July 1 of this year. It will be at zero cost (Other then fingerprint vendor fees) starting July 1 of 2020.

The 5 yr license is capable of qualifying as an alternative to the background check requirements of the Brady Law, however Indiana is not there yet. The request has to be made by the state to the ATF to recognize and approve our 5 yr license as a “Brady Alternative”. This has not been done. [FONT=&quot]

[/FONT]

DataGeek19

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 9, 2017
    Southern Indiana
    Just wondering, if the 5 year permit means you won't have to wait for BATF approval if Indiana will let you hold both a lifetime and a 5 year permit at the same time? I have bought many firearms and never had a delay or rejection so not a big issue but could save some time.

You may have a Lifetime Indiana License to Carry a Handgun as well as the 5 year license now. The 5 year will not allow for the the FFL to skip the NICS check for a sale until the ATF recognizes the Indiana 5 year license as a “Brady Alternative”. There is no date set and is not expected in the immediate future.

Restroyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    SE Indiana
    Since Ohio recognizes the Indiana ltch , curious why you would have Ohio too.. does it grant you any additional states.

I live in the same area as the OP and I also work in Cincinnati but I only have an Indiana LTCH since it works in Ohio also for the state reciprocity. Curious as to what was the benefit of getting an Ohio License? Ohio makes you take a class and Indiana does not.

Top Bottom