Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Plinker

User Info Menu

4473 bypass......with Ohio carry permit?

So I picked up a new gun last night and I was talking to my local dealer I always use. Told him how I had just got approved for my Ohio carry permit. I live in Indiana but work in Cincinnati so I keep both an Indiana and Ohio permit.

He got a funny look on his face when i was filling out the 4473 and I asked what was up and he said I might not even have to input this.

I immediately knew what he was talking about since in Ohio being a permit holder means they don't have to get NICS approval before you leave with the gun. Indiana as we know is not the case with their permit.

He went back and forth and finally decided to play it safe and run a NICS check ( I told him do whatever he wants because usually the approval comes back before I'm even done taking the transfer fee out of my wallet).

But for my own curiosity would a valid Ohio concealed carry permit allow an Indiana resident, picking up in Indiana, skip the NICS check?

User Info Menu

An Indiana resident purchasing firearms in Indiana does not have anything to do with Ohio law.
    Medium speed. Moderate drag.

User Info Menu

When Illinois residents buy long guns here, the local FFL's require that the Illinois buyer wait 24 hours. Illinois requires a 24 hour background check for each purchase. As far as I know, this check is not performed for Illinois buyers in Indiana. For reasons unbeknownst to me, our local dealers still comply with the 24 hour holding period.

It seems that other states' law are being enforced in our state in this situation. I hypothesize that Indiana's purchasing laws apply to us even when we are in other states as well. I am not a lawyer, this is my best guess

Plinker

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    An Indiana resident purchasing firearms in Indiana does not have anything to do with Ohio law.
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodandgutsmurphy View Post
    When Illinois residents buy long guns here, the local FFL's require that the Illinois buyer wait 24 hours. Illinois requires a 24 hour background check for each purchase. As far as I know, this check is not performed for Illinois buyers in Indiana. For reasons unbeknownst to me, our local dealers still comply with the 24 hour holding period.

It seems that other states' law are being enforced in our state in this situation. I hypothesize that Indiana's purchasing laws apply to us even when we are in other states as well. I am not a lawyer, this is my best guess
    This is not state law. This is BATFE certifying that an Ohio Concealed Handgun License is a valid NICS-compliant background check for firearm purchases. When you get an Ohio CHL they run the same background check as a NICS.

I don't think the states actually have any say in how the Feds approve or disapprove a 4473 do they?

Marksman

User Info Menu

It's the background check gets waivered, sort of.. You still have to do a 4473. Indiana was sort of the same prior to the 1994 crime bill and the instant check if you remember back then there was a waiting period of 7 days for a handgun purchase unless you had a LTCH then you went home with it that day.

Ohio's permit covers the dealer on any state requirement that ATF accepts as a background however a 4473 is a Federal requirement for the dealer

User Info Menu

Indiana will be going to back to doing this also in June or July of next year as long as the purchasing party has one of the new 5 year LTCH. However the lifetime LTCH will not work to do this with. Makes no sense to me but according to the new law the lifetime LTCH will not be eligible to do the NICS waiver. It can only be done with the new 5 yr LTCH. FFL dealers should reciever more information on this soon before the new LTCH law goes into effect or shortly after. The FFL still has to have a filled out 4473 and a copy of the 5 yr LTCH along with the copy of the Drivers License
    and the info has to be recorded on the 4473 in its respective place. Also as many of you know the new 5 yr LTCH will be free to Indiana residents.

Plinker

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ECS686 View Post
    It's the background check gets waivered, sort of.. You still have to do a 4473. Indiana was sort of the same prior to the 1994 crime bill and the instant check if you remember back then there was a waiting period of 7 days for a handgun purchase unless you had a LTCH then you went home with it that day.

Ohio's permit covers the dealer on any state requirement that ATF accepts as a background however a 4473 is a Federal requirement for the dealer
    I'm only 31 so no I was not aware of that.

And we knew I still had to fill out the 4473, just not the having to submit it for approval

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nick112288 View Post
    I'm only 31 so no I was not aware of that.

And we knew I still had to fill out the 4473, just not the having to submit it for approval
    When the new LTCH law goes into effect here next year you'll still have to fill the 4473 out here too. The FFL dealer just wont be required to call it in if you have one of the new 5 yr LTCH licenses. So itll be the same deal.

Marksman

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Disgruntled0321 View Post
    Indiana will be going to back to doing this also in June or July of next year as long as the purchasing party has one of the new 5 year LTCH. However the lifetime LTCH will not work to do this with. Makes no sense to me but according to the new law the lifetime LTCH will not be eligible to do the NICS waiver. It can only be done with the new 5 yr LTCH. FFL dealers should reciever more information on this soon before the new LTCH law goes into effect or shortly after. The FFL still has to have a filled out 4473 and a copy of the 5 yr LTCH along with the copy of the Drivers License
    and the info has to be recorded on the 4473 in its respective place. Also as many of you know the new 5 yr LTCH will be free to Indiana residents.
    I presume the 5 year deal being accepted over the lifetime is to keep it honest so nobody slips through the cracks. Sort of related theor and, even some LE agencies require periodic re investigations To catch anything that shouldn't be there. People are well people and sometimes an issue happens that they dont disclose.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ECS686 View Post
    I presume the 5 year deal being accepted over the lifetime is to keep it honest so nobody slips through the cracks. Sort of related theor and, even some LE agencies require periodic re investigations To catch anything that shouldn't be there. People are well people and sometimes an issue happens that they dont disclose.
    I could see how that would be an issue.

“Retreat, Hell! We just got here.” - CPT. Lloyd W. Williams, USMC

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast