• GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Have you ever kind of gotten the urge to buy another gun but nothing's really drawing you in? I know this is truly a first world problem if there ever was one. There's lots of things I'd like to have...some of which are merely wishful thinking type things. But nothing is really calling me yet. I've been known to impulse buy before but I'm really trying to avoid that because I'm usually sorry in a couple of days.

I surely can't be the only one...

schmart

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 10, 2014
    Lafayette
    It must be the time of year, or the weather because I'm right there with you... perhaps even worse as I'm trying to save up for the new DW Chaos double stack "1911" that won't be available until spring, and if I blow my gun fund now, I'll have to wait longer for that!
    --Rick

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Something always jumps out if you are patient.
    I just start a new project and run the course with it. Then I shoot it a few times and get bored again. It is a malady with no cure.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Have you ever kind of gotten the urge to buy another gun but nothing's really drawing you in? I know this is truly a first world problem if there ever was one. There's lots of things I'd like to have...some of which are merely wishful thinking type things. But nothing is really calling me yet. I've been known to impulse buy before but I'm really trying to avoid that because I'm usually sorry in a couple of days.

I surely can't be the only one...

Lets run the "South of US 50" checklist (does not include safe-queens):

.30-06 (may substitute a .300 Win Mag or other BIG caliber, but .30-06 is on the impulse buy counter)

Optional .30-30 lever gun

.243 (.22-250, .270, may sub, but .243 is very popular)

12 gauge pump (doubles as home defense)

12 gauge semi

20 gauge (pump or auto)

Optional .410

.22 semi auto, preferably Ruger 10/22

.22 bolt action, single shot is fine if Grandpa bought it back in the 50s

.357 magnum, 6"

.22 revolver, 9 shot

.22 revolver, 6 shot (use this one for bird shot)

Added since I left down there:

Semi-auto 9/40/45 (carry gun)

Semi-auto 9/40/45 (other caliber from the one above)

Optional items include:

Really old rifle, unsure of caliber

Really nice old .38 special (S&W or Colt), round count <10, never loaded, found in dresser drawer when great aunt/uncle passed on)

Really old revolver, unsure of caliber

Any long gun sold under a name used by Sears and Roebuck (Eastern Arms, Ted Williams, etc.)

Double-barrel 12 gauge left off the list. OK, a nice O/U if you shoot trap, SXS (found behind late great aunt/uncle's bedroom door if your cousin got the .38 mentioned above)

ACC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Mar 7, 2012
    N. Side of Indy
    This affliction is real and daily for me. Sometimes my will is strong, like yesterday when I decided I did not need an XDM 10mm. Sometime the will is not strong, which is how I ended up with a Stribog SP9A1 this week.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I'm always up for something new, Gunbroker is indispensable in this way. Having been to gun shows locally and in surrounding states since the 70s, I can say it just doesn't compare.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Yeah, I've got the urge for a new wheel gun and a nice new trap gun. I shoot a good bit of trap and have always used field guns. It would be nice to have a true trap gun. Maybe after the holidays

snowman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    Bremen, IN
    Yes*** but I go in phases,, like, its C&Rs for a while then it morphs into a new type of AK or AR, then something rare or unusual like a Safari Arms 1911, then back around to something I can take to the range that, most likely, no one else has so I can be a gun snob, like scar or acr or something like that. It's a circular phenomenon with me. :):

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I'm pretty calculated with my purchases, a whole lot of thought usually goes into them before making one. I'm not an impulse buyer really in the slightest. However, I do kind of know the feeling. I'm kind of with TF here though, jumping into the NFA world and picking up a suppressor is never a bad idea. Especially if you actually shoot your guns.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Glad to see I'm not the only one. :D

The first time I went to Indiucky's shop he asked what I was interested in. I'd never really thought of that question before. I thought about it for a second or two and told him something to the effect of "I don't know...but I'll know it when I see it". :)

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Lets run the "South of US 50" checklist (does not include safe-queens):

.30-06 (may substitute a .300 Win Mag or other BIG caliber, but .30-06 is on the impulse buy counter)

Optional .30-30 lever gun

.243 (.22-250, .270, may sub, but .243 is very popular)

12 gauge pump (doubles as home defense)

12 gauge semi

20 gauge (pump or auto)

Optional .410

.22 semi auto, preferably Ruger 10/22

.22 bolt action, single shot is fine if Grandpa bought it back in the 50s

.357 magnum, 6"

.22 revolver, 9 shot

.22 revolver, 6 shot (use this one for bird shot)

Added since I left down there:

Semi-auto 9/40/45 (carry gun)

Semi-auto 9/40/45 (other caliber from the one above)

Optional items include:

Really old rifle, unsure of caliber

Really nice old .38 special (S&W or Colt), round count <10, never loaded, found in dresser drawer when great aunt/uncle passed on)

Really old revolver, unsure of caliber

Any long gun sold under a name used by Sears and Roebuck (Eastern Arms, Ted Williams, etc.)

Double-barrel 12 gauge left off the list. OK, a nice O/U if you shoot trap, SXS (found behind late great aunt/uncle's bedroom door if your cousin got the .38 mentioned above)

I gotta think this is a sign that at least one generation before you had interest in guns and got a number of hand-me-downs. That wasn't true in my case. My dad had a couple...and I'm not sure what ever happened to them. Not that my arsenal is very big (it's not) but my kids or grandkids will at least have a bigger head start than I did.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    Never felt that way at all. I will always bring something to bring home if given a chance.

A lot of what I get are sympathy buys, misused or neglected. I bring them home and put the breath of life back into them. Some I keep, some I find a good home for.

My LGS owner even buys some pitiful examples just because he knows I will buy them and resurrect them.

Dark Star

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 4, 2019
    South bend
    I can't afford one, and couldn't afford the ammo even if I could buy the gun, but the Spencer carbine by Chiappa, or a Winchester by Uberti, or a Sharps by Pedersoli.

I'd just love to have one beautiful, old-timey gun. As it is though, I am strictly a quality utilitarian.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I'm good where I'm at. I have thinned down considerably. I'm thinking I might want a snub nose, but I'll probably talk myself out of it.

Thunderchicken, if you decide to get a Trap gun, I have one I might sell. I bought it last winter thinking I would get into Trap again, but it doesn't seem to happen. I haven't made it yet. I did put a box of shells through it this summer.

I might be better to not have a Trap gun and just use a field gun if I ever get around to actually shooting some type of clays game.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I gotta think this is a sign that at least one generation before you had interest in guns and got a number of hand-me-downs. That wasn't true in my case. My dad had a couple...and I'm not sure what ever happened to them. Not that my arsenal is very big (it's not) but my kids or grandkids will at least have a bigger head start than I did.

More than one generation in my case and a few on that list got away. Grandma (old widow-woman from the country) had a stainless steel Chiefs Special (Model 60 when that was a .38), my cousin got that one. I have the Ithica Model 49 that was my great-uncle's. Grandma's SXS Eastern Arms 12 gauge (made by Stevens) and the Hi-Standard .22 revolver? I don't know where those went. Marlin .22 Magnum lever action rifle (tube-fed) did find it's way to Dad.

Dad has an 1898 Springfield (.30-40 Krag) he got from his FIL. He also has the "really old rifle, unsure of caliber" that I think belonged to my great-great grandfather.

Top Bottom