• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Ok so, what is the process and any recommendations in handling a firearm sale over the net? I found a gun that I maybe interested in buying from an individual in another state. Obviously it needs to be shipped to an FFL. What info do I need from my FFL? What is the best way to exchange funds etc?

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    1. You pay him $.

2. Seller sends you gun to FFL in Indiana. Have him write your name and telephone number is very large print on the box. Tell your FFL what is coming.

3. You go to FFL and fill out 4473 and pay your FFL his vig. My FFL is $20.

badmotorscooter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Mooresville
    PayPal is my go to for payment regardless of goods. There are buyer protections in place. The seller should use an FFL on their end to make this a seamless transaction. Your end would be like any other FFL transfer, or similar to buying off gunbroker, internet; etc. If you have an FFL in mind just call them for advice. I suspect they have been through this many times.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    PayPal is my go to for payment regardless of goods. There are buyer protections in place. The seller should use an FFL on their end to make this a seamless transaction. Your end would be like any other FFL transfer, or similar to buying off gunbroker, internet; etc. If you have an FFL in mind just call them for advice. I suspect they have been through this many times.

There is no buyer protection for firearms through PayPal.

badmotorscooter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Mooresville
    There is no buyer protection for firearms through PayPal.
    Oh, good to know. My bad, I should have read up on my PayPal terms recently.

In that case a certified money order from post office leaves a nice paper trail. Usually more of a benefit for the seller.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk

dbrier

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 17, 2008
    Indianapolis IN
    Often the seller will want confirmation that where they are sending the gun is a valid FFL. Every gun I've bought online the seller wants a copy of that FFL before they will ship the firearm.

Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Porter county
    Oh, good to know. My bad, I should have read up on my PayPal terms recently.

In that case a certified money order from post office leaves a nice paper trail. Usually more of a benefit for the seller.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk

I was under that impression to. I purchased a revolver earlier this year from someone on armslist. It turned out to be a scam. The seller was paid with a USPS money order. I filed a report with the Post Office Inspection Division. This occurred in June IIRC and I am still waiting to hear from them.

yetti462

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 18, 2016
    Unglaciated heaven
    Process is easy and hard on pocket book. I have my ffl scanned. Email copy to seller, usually pay with USPS money order. Ffl calls and says your firearm is here. I pick up on way home from work. This is with gunbroker purchases.

citizenkane

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Pretty much this. They don’t care, they don’t pursue any action and as such it continues on.

I was under that impression to. I purchased a revolver earlier this year from someone on armslist. It turned out to be a scam. The seller was paid with a USPS money order. I filed a report with the Post Office Inspection Division. This occurred in June IIRC and I am still waiting to hear from them.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Thanks for the info everyone. Now I am starting to feel a bit apprehensive about whether I should pursue to purchase or let it pass. Its not through any auction sites, from a trap shooting forum kinda similar to INGO. Hate the idea of sending money and gambling that the person is honest

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    What if you joined that forum to check out the member's post history and the like?

I'm with you on being nervous about trusting just anyone, but if research turns up something...? The seller might well have a stellar reputation in their community and location?

I have trusted many of INGOers who I only "know" through their posts and itrader ratings. Probably sent more funds than some folks would be comfy with. :n00b:

Last edited:

Flash-hider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2012
    I have bought a few guns on line. The FFL I use contacts the seller before any money is sent, as a check to see if the seller is legit. So far all the transactions have gone through without a hitch. But he has had a few instances with other buyers of it being a scam and saved them from spending their money.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dhlawson
    Top Bottom