Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Marksman

User Info Menu

I have had enough dirt hauled in from county road projects to make mine, but I realize that if you had something to support the dirt you would use about half the amount, or what you have could go twice as far. My dirt pile has settled to about 10' high and might be 50' long so it's a pretty nice size.
    Every telephone pole in our township has been replaced recently, and if you could use some poles and had a way to haul them I have some. I have made some reinforcing walls to hold dirt up with some of them. If RR ties are free or nearly so they would be nicer to work with for sure, have no idea how expensive they may be. I'm just on the other side of Sheridan, you can pm me if you are interested in some poles.

User Info Menu

First rule of thumb: You'll need more soil than you think.

Also maybe having a way to keep the soil contained within the backstop will help with...soil retention. Like a few good downpours and suddenly 1/4 of your soil has washed out isn't all that good of a thing to have happen.

Build wing-walls if you can.

Have a way to replace RR ties if you can. Also remember: Bullets will zip right through a RR tie quick, fast, and in a hurry. Have enough soil. Don't let any but competent shooters shoot there. You don't need their liability on your head.
    Amazing Grace, how sweet was her sound.

User Info Menu

One thing to keep in mind is the limitations that many of these backyard designs have. Unless you are planning to open it up to the public there is no reason to overbuild and still not have a safe backstop for hanging steel. And based on your property it would be smart to shoot to the north if you can. The fairway is important as well as the position of your bench and or shooting pods. Also when you overbuild with railroad ties it shows the world that you have guns around and unless you are always home to watch it, it may be advertising.
    "Test what you Think You Know"

Shooter

User Info Menu

Thanks for all the great replies, folks. I wanted to get my hands on some railroad ties, but my friend who had access to them for free moved to Wyoming. I'm going to start checking out the locations you all recommended.

Plinker

User Info Menu

A friend of mine took old telephone poles and dug them into the ground (he had a small backhoe) upright, he put them side by side and made two rows. He then piled dirt in front of that. This may be tough to do and find materials.

Other options would be to use old railroad ties or other thick wood and build a wide, and tall wall and throw some dirt in front of that.

Good luck on building your range.
    The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State.

Plinker

User Info Menu

I Have about 10 triaxles of clay/soil out of my pond when I dug it. Been there 19 years

Marksman

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ccha8778 View Post
    A friend of mine took old telephone poles and dug them into the ground (he had a small backhoe) upright, he put them side by side and made two rows. He then piled dirt in front of that. This may be tough to do and find materials.

Other options would be to use old railroad ties or other thick wood and build a wide, and tall wall and throw some dirt in front of that.

Good luck on building your range.
    I put two in with a post hole digger and then just stacked them up, laying a couple down then adding dirt to support them and then two poles then more dirt and so on.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2