• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Munky

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 8, 2008
    Cicero
    Hey folks - I am fortunate enough that I live outside Cicero city limits, so I can shoot in my own backyard. I haven't done so yet, because I want to build a proper backstop to make sure everything is on the up and up. I own 2 1/2 acres and there's a 40 acre cornfield behind me. The land slopes downward, so without the backstop I would be shooting into the cornfield.

What does everyone recommend for materials to build a proper backstop? Any recommendations on places near Central Indiana to find them? Anyone done this in the past and have pictures to help kickstart my imagination? Just curious what others have done in this situation. Thanks in advance

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Railroad ties and dirt work well together. Once in a while, Menards has RxR ties in their yard.
    Search "home range backstops" to get some ideas. The size will depend on how far away you plan on shooting from. The closer you are, the smaller it can be.

Most people say build as big as you can afford.

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    Hey folks - I am fortunate enough that I live outside Cicero city limits, so I can shoot in my own backyard. I haven't done so yet, because I want to build a proper backstop to make sure everything is on the up and up. I own 2 1/2 acres and there's a 40 acre cornfield behind me. The land slopes downward, so without the backstop I would be shooting into the cornfield.

What does everyone recommend for materials to build a proper backstop? Any recommendations on places near Central Indiana to find them? Anyone done this in the past and have pictures to help kickstart my imagination? Just curious what others have done in this situation. Thanks in advance

To do it right and since you are so close I would come over and advise as to the best way to do this. PM me if you would like and since you are local I will not charge anything.

semperfi211

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Near Lowell
    47940_1405235695830_7212684_n.jpg

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    Railroad ties and dirt work well together. Once in a while, Menards has RxR ties in their yard.
    Search "home range backstops" to get some ideas. The size will depend on how far away you plan on shooting from. The closer you are, the smaller it can be.

Most people say build as big as you can afford.

Menards at 96th street and Lebanon have STACKS or old R.R. ties.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    This is my backstop. Railroad ties and dirt. 40 foot wide by 10 foot tall.

414336787.jpg

That's impressive!
    I'm sure it took some work to accomplish, unless you have access to heavy equipment, in which case this was probably an afternoon project.

Several years ago I built a cheap AR15 frankengun with parts from PSA, Anderson... and gave it to my younger brother as a gift.
    Two weeks later he called me and told me to bring my AR15 out to his house.
    Not knowing why, I obliged.
    When I arrived I found little brother had been busy.
    He put together a backstop about half that size. His is about 20' wide and 5-6" high.

We've had many a good time on that tiny little range over the past couple of years.
    We've shot everything up to and including, .308 .30-06 7mm Winmag .45-70Gvt .303British 7.7x58Jap...

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    I have had enough dirt hauled in from county road projects to make mine, but I realize that if you had something to support the dirt you would use about half the amount, or what you have could go twice as far. My dirt pile has settled to about 10' high and might be 50' long so it's a pretty nice size.
    Every telephone pole in our township has been replaced recently, and if you could use some poles and had a way to haul them I have some. I have made some reinforcing walls to hold dirt up with some of them. If RR ties are free or nearly so they would be nicer to work with for sure, have no idea how expensive they may be. I'm just on the other side of Sheridan, you can pm me if you are interested in some poles.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    First rule of thumb: You'll need more soil than you think.

Also maybe having a way to keep the soil contained within the backstop will help with...soil retention. Like a few good downpours and suddenly 1/4 of your soil has washed out isn't all that good of a thing to have happen.

Build wing-walls if you can.

Have a way to replace RR ties if you can. Also remember: Bullets will zip right through a RR tie quick, fast, and in a hurry. Have enough soil. Don't let any but competent shooters shoot there. You don't need their liability on your head.

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    One thing to keep in mind is the limitations that many of these backyard designs have. Unless you are planning to open it up to the public there is no reason to overbuild and still not have a safe backstop for hanging steel. And based on your property it would be smart to shoot to the north if you can. The fairway is important as well as the position of your bench and or shooting pods. Also when you overbuild with railroad ties it shows the world that you have guns around and unless you are always home to watch it, it may be advertising.

Munky

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 8, 2008
    Cicero
    Thanks for all the great replies, folks. I wanted to get my hands on some railroad ties, but my friend who had access to them for free moved to Wyoming. I'm going to start checking out the locations you all recommended.

ccha8778

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 23, 2019
    The Region
    A friend of mine took old telephone poles and dug them into the ground (he had a small backhoe) upright, he put them side by side and made two rows. He then piled dirt in front of that. This may be tough to do and find materials.

Other options would be to use old railroad ties or other thick wood and build a wide, and tall wall and throw some dirt in front of that.

Good luck on building your range.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    A friend of mine took old telephone poles and dug them into the ground (he had a small backhoe) upright, he put them side by side and made two rows. He then piled dirt in front of that. This may be tough to do and find materials.

Other options would be to use old railroad ties or other thick wood and build a wide, and tall wall and throw some dirt in front of that.

Good luck on building your range.
    I put two in with a post hole digger and then just stacked them up, laying a couple down then adding dirt to support them and then two poles then more dirt and so on.

Top Bottom