Scope recommendations for the IWI Galil Ace in 308?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • purdue98

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2015
    West Lafayette, Indiana
    The current platform for the 308 is utilizing a Nikon M308 scope. This scope works quite well on ranges +100 yards.
    The iron sights are adjusted to 50 yards. I would like some feed back on going to a scope for close range yet capable to reaching out further, as needed (100-200 yards). Any recommendations?

Ricnzak

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    Noblesville
    Some of it will depend on the eye relief on the scope as to the set up. Tim (Military Arms Channel,) has a video showing that 308 with one set up that was pretty cool as to how the scope sits on the rail in reference to the rear sight. I'm contemplating the same thing for my rifle like yours. My thoughts are a lightweight quick detach rings or mount like a LaRue. Then a Vortex in 1x6 or 1x8 setup. I'm not sure if there is a version with a 308 reticle.

Hopefully Alan with AA Optics will chime in with suggestions. He is a member here and goes out of his way with customer service and helping folks figure out what they need. https://aaoptics.com/

How do you like your Galil? I haven't shot mine yet.

Last edited:

purdue98

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2015
    West Lafayette, Indiana
    Thanks for the response. I too am looking at1x6 scope but not sure which way to go. I have a hard time justifying a $$$ scope for a rifle the doesn't get to the range much.
    As for the Galil. Wow. IWI hit a home run with this rifle in my opinion. Recoil is not bad. I typically run 168gn Boat Tail (PPU, Federal). honestly, the rifle shoots better than I can. First time break down was a bear but after that, easy to clean.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Thanks for the response. I too am looking at1x6 scope but not sure which way to go. I have a hard time justifying a $$$ scope for a rifle the doesn't get to the range much.
    As for the Galil. Wow. IWI hit a home run with this rifle in my opinion. Recoil is not bad. I typically run 168gn Boat Tail (PPU, Federal). honestly, the rifle shoots better than I can. First time break down was a bear but after that, easy to clean.

Looking for a good affordable 1-6?

This should do the trick for you. https://www.swfa.com/swfa-ss-hd-1-6x24-tactical-30mm-riflescope.html?___SID=U
    Just keep in mind, the extra travel to achieve 1-6 means it's not going to be as cheap as a 1-4.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    The Galil is an expensive rifle, would just seen wrong to not stick a nice piece of glass on it

1-8 Trijicon, 1-6 vortex razor (which really the gen 2 PSTs are pretty nice and would be the least I’d stick on it). Only downside to the Trijicon would be the 34mm tube but it’s a tank of an optic

Top Bottom