Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: SAf: Treat all evidence as if it were loaded, keep pointed in safe direction...

User Info Menu

SAf: Treat all evidence as if it were loaded, keep pointed in safe direction...

Senior state advocate Addelaid Ferreira-Watt died after the freak shooting at the Ixopo Regional Court [in South Africa] when the shotgun dropped and blasted her in the left hip, News24 reported.

“It is alleged that the weapon was brought to court to be entered as evidence in a house robbery case when it accidentally discharged in court,” a police spokesman told the website.

Court staff desperately tried to stop the bleeding, but the 51-year-old mother-of-one later died in hospital. South African police are investigating a possible case of culpable homicide and are working to find out why the shotgun was still loaded.
    https://www.news.com.au/finance/work/at-work/lawyer-dies-after-being-shot-by-gun-presented-as-evidence-in-court/news-story/c11ad06eb53076a118b1a6b7a7b8a4ef

I still care....Really

User Info Menu

So in this insane world of gun violence no one in the evidence chain ever checked the weapon.

Or someone set it up to go bang in the courtroom.
    If the brain were so simple we could understand it, we would be so simple we couldn’t

Forum Rules

Classified Rules

FAQ

http://ingunowners.com/forums/handgu...e-posting.html

Shooter

User Info Menu

Dumbass.

User Info Menu

In law school, a fellow student brought a S & W J frame to use as a prop for a trial practice exercise- closing arguments. He started waiving it around and the professor, myself and a couple of others expressed our displeasure in no uncertain terms and at various level of physical intervention. At least it wasn't loaded. the guy who did this said: "it's no problem it doesn't work." Not good enough.

People do stupid things....and I had always heard that the guy was a felon, so....
    ​Bullies suck. They also make you stronger.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by churchmouse View Post
    So in this insane world of gun violence no one in the evidence chain ever checked the weapon.

Or someone set it up to go bang in the courtroom.
    I'm going with "incompetence".

On a Texas forum one member recounted being a juror in a robbery trial listening to the ADA's spiel, when I guess to emphasize the fear that the victim felt, the ADA pointed the evidentiary handgun in the juror's face.

Juror finished the trial, but I don't believe I would have let that pass unremarked.

User Info Menu

Everyone knows the solution is to yell "eet ain't loaded" with your upper front teeth over your bottom lip when some boring safety nanny tells you that ALL GUNS ARE ALWAYS LOADED.
    I told you to buy ammo, mags and lowers. Get on it.

User Info Menu

Sadly it was pointed in a safe direction until some butter finger dropped it. Like all have said and agree, that shotgun should have been checked 5 times by everyone who touched it and it still should have been secured and handled as if loaded.

User Info Menu

I would bet you a tenderloin sandwich that very nearly every lawyer, barrister, judge, magistrate, bailiff, defense lawyer, defendant, prosecutor, juror, and gender-indeterminate person pushing a mop in that building -- every one of them with advanced education and degrees except perhaps for the defendant, the juror, and the mop pusher -- thought "eet ain't loaded". It doesn't take a hillbilly background to be ignorant, and skill in one field does not automatically transfer to another.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Alamo View Post
    I would bet you a tenderloin sandwich that very nearly every lawyer, barrister, judge, magistrate, bailiff, defense lawyer, defendant, prosecutor, juror, and gender-indeterminate person pushing a mop in that building -- every one of them with advanced education and degrees except perhaps for the defendant, the juror, and the mop pusher -- thought "eet ain't loaded". It doesn't take a hillbilly background to be ignorant, and skill in one field does not automatically transfer to another.
    I have to believe that people who work in any aspect of criminal justice in South Africa has a more than passing familiarity with firearms.
    ​Bullies suck. They also make you stronger.

User Info Menu

The incident at hand would tend not to support your belief.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast