Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Marksman

User Info Menu

Trouble Shooting with suppressor

I went to sight in my rifle today, Ruger Gunsite Scout in .308. I sighted it in at 50 yards (itís all I had) and was hitting dead center after a few shots.

I threw on my suppressor and the first shot hit the dirt at roughly 30 yards! I checked the scope mount, muzzle brake and inspected the suppressor thinking maybe there was a baffle strike. Everything looked good. Then I put 2 more shots in the dirt again. I took the suppressor off and was back to hitting dead center.

I have no idea whatís going on. I know suppressor can change poi but that much?! I was shooting 150gr federal whitetail loads.

Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Semi-Moderator

User Info Menu

Sounds like a baffle strike. What kind of can?

Need help posting Pictures? GO HERE for imgur
    >>>>>>>>>>
    https://www.ingunowners.com/forums/f...ing-video.html

How to embed a YouTube video....
    https://www.ingunowners.com/forums/f...st7836731NGOer

# 22951

Marksman

User Info Menu

Silencerco Saker 762

User Info Menu

Where you shooting prone? Sometimes when shooting prone at 50 yds the bullets POI going down 6 inch's will make it hit dirt closer to you due to he lay of the land. I would think baffle strike's would be obvious on inspection.
    "You don't have to spend a fortune to play the game, but you do have to spend your money wisely"

owner/ operator of www.aaoptics.com

full line vortex dealer

contact me at alan@aaoptics.com

Marksman

User Info Menu

I was sitting using a bench. I inspected the can and the end cap is in perfect shape and I used a flashlight to check the baffles and everything looked good. Iím so confused.

User Info Menu

My YHM Phantom moves POI about a foot at 100 yrds. You defintally have to have 2 zero's, but 2 foot (?????) at 50 yards sounds like a lot.

I have heard of quite a few times a suppressor moves the POI outside of a scopes internal travel.
    "You don't have to spend a fortune to play the game, but you do have to spend your money wisely"

owner/ operator of www.aaoptics.com

full line vortex dealer

contact me at alan@aaoptics.com

User Info Menu

Do you happen to have the direct thread module? If so, take off the qd device and run it in DT and see what happens

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 42769vette View Post
    I would think baffle strike's would be obvious on inspection.
    We had one rifle at work a year or so ago that was having baffle strikes. It was barely noticeable when looking at the can. The rounds seemed to be slightly rubbing on the exit hole on the end cap causing groups to be about 18" at 50 yards.

The other two cans we've experienced baffles strikes with were far more obvious.
    Medium speed. Moderate drag.

Marksman

User Info Menu

Well it looks like I had at the very least an end cap strike. The baffles look fine, the muzzle brake looks fine, and even the outside of the end cap looks great, but the inside of the end cap looks like it was just grazed with the bullet. The mark is where the top of the barrel/can would be which would explain the bullet taking a nose dive.

User Info Menu

Baffling!

Quote Originally Posted by Nehemiah View Post
    "Don't be afraid of the enemy! Remember the Lord, who is great and awesome, and fight for your brothers, your sons, your daughters, your wives, and your homes!" - Jerusalem 445 BC
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesus View Post
    "If you don't have a gun, sell your coat and buy one." - Jerusalem April 14th, 30 AD - Thursday, 11:38pm IST
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenway View Post
    INGO SUCKS.....

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast