• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Nojoy621

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 10, 2016
    Crown point
    I went to sight in my rifle today, Ruger Gunsite Scout in .308. I sighted it in at 50 yards (it’s all I had) and was hitting dead center after a few shots.

I threw on my suppressor and the first shot hit the dirt at roughly 30 yards! I checked the scope mount, muzzle brake and inspected the suppressor thinking maybe there was a baffle strike. Everything looked good. Then I put 2 more shots in the dirt again. I took the suppressor off and was back to hitting dead center.

I have no idea what’s going on. I know suppressor can change poi but that much?! I was shooting 150gr federal whitetail loads.

Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Where you shooting prone? Sometimes when shooting prone at 50 yds the bullets POI going down 6 inch's will make it hit dirt closer to you due to he lay of the land. I would think baffle strike's would be obvious on inspection.

Nojoy621

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 10, 2016
    Crown point
    I was sitting using a bench. I inspected the can and the end cap is in perfect shape and I used a flashlight to check the baffles and everything looked good. I’m so confused.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    My YHM Phantom moves POI about a foot at 100 yrds. You defintally have to have 2 zero's, but 2 foot (?????) at 50 yards sounds like a lot.

I have heard of quite a few times a suppressor moves the POI outside of a scopes internal travel.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    I would think baffle strike's would be obvious on inspection.

We had one rifle at work a year or so ago that was having baffle strikes. It was barely noticeable when looking at the can. The rounds seemed to be slightly rubbing on the exit hole on the end cap causing groups to be about 18" at 50 yards.

The other two cans we've experienced baffles strikes with were far more obvious.

Nojoy621

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 10, 2016
    Crown point
    Well it looks like I had at the very least an end cap strike. The baffles look fine, the muzzle brake looks fine, and even the outside of the end cap looks great, but the inside of the end cap looks like it was just grazed with the bullet. The mark is where the top of the barrel/can would be which would explain the bullet taking a nose dive.
    d9da75eda91b12d0f8c452292b493956.jpg
    454733426c6cb9ce99edd821d0b8bd0e.jpg

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Well it looks like I had at the very least an end cap strike. The baffles look fine, the muzzle brake looks fine, and even the outside of the end cap looks great, but the inside of the end cap looks like it was just grazed with the bullet. The mark is where the top of the barrel/can would be which would explain the bullet taking a nose dive.

By any chance did you have the suppressor mount installed with a crush washer? Because that'd certainly cause that.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    By any chance did you have the suppressor mount installed with a crush washer? Because that'd certainly cause that.

definitely. Would like to see a pic of how my muzzle device is attached

also that looks like an old original Saker and not the new ASR ones. Have you ever had to pop off the MAAD mount itself?

Mines locked up on a couple SBRs, having to use the spanner wrench to take it off and mount stays on the gun sometimes. Always after reinstalling the mount to the can the zero changes (MCX was way off at 30 yards even). The MAADs were finicky and expensive, it’s why Silencerco ditched them

Since my backup Saker finally arrived been meaning to send my old one back to SiCo for them to look at the mount

Nojoy621

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 10, 2016
    Crown point
    I stand corrected. I thought a baffle strike would be much more noticeable. I should stick to scopes.

I with you. I’m fairly new to suppressors, I’ve only had mine for about 6 months. But I always thought baffle or end cap strikes were much more catastrophic

ol' poke

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 14, 2010

Please explain. I've mounted mine with a spring-steel-type of washer. Would a crush washer throw off the alignment? Will my spring-steel washer throw it off???

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    I with you. I’m fairly new to suppressors, I’ve only had mine for about 6 months. But I always thought baffle or end cap strikes were much more catastrophic

You need to mount that can in DT. I bet the problem goes away. That would tell me the mount is suspect. You never answered whether or not you used a crush washer or peel washer to install the mount

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    I went to sight in my rifle today, Ruger Gunsite Scout in .308. I sighted it in at 50 yards (it’s all I had) and was hitting dead center after a few shots.

I threw on my suppressor and the first shot hit the dirt at roughly 30 yards! I checked the scope mount, muzzle brake and inspected the suppressor thinking maybe there was a baffle strike. Everything looked good. Then I put 2 more shots in the dirt again. I took the suppressor off and was back to hitting dead center.

I have no idea what’s going on. I know suppressor can change poi but that much?! I was shooting 150gr federal whitetail loads.

Thoughts?

Wow! What range were you at?

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Please explain. I've mounted mine with a spring-steel-type of washer. Would a crush washer throw off the alignment? Will my spring-steel washer throw it off???

steel washer still provides a square shoulder cause it’s bottomed against the shoulder of the barrel. Crush washers can provide an uneven surface and no longer be square so running a silencer it may tilt and you run into a baffle strike

not a for sure happening thing but completely possible

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    OP, are you actually going to answer any questions that may be conducive to helping you or just answer questions about where you were shooting and letting us know you're new to suppressors?

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dhlawson
    Top Bottom