• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SNAFU-M1A

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2009
    Morgan Co
    Guns get stolen from cars all the time, not just police cars. Besides, anti-cop stuff belongs in the carry issue & self defense section.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Good thing it didn't happen in Connecticut he would get hit with a reckless endangerment charge, his other guns confiscated and a permit if he had one revoked, doubly awkward being a police officer.

flatlander

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Noblesville
    Guns get stolen from cars all the time, not just police cars. Besides, anti-cop stuff belongs in the carry issue & self defense section.

It can be moved.
    If you knew me, you'd know I'm far from anti-cop.
    The point is that it's not everyday it's an M16 in Indiana..... I hope anyway!

Bob

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I wonder how the weapon was secured in the car? Unless you knew, you'd be completely lost on how to pull an rifle out of CPD car.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Guy was discussing this on FaceBook. A few things he pointed out. The car could have been broken into or access gained through other means. (Coat hanger though the window to hit the unlock bottom.)

It was a select fire weapon. A magazine and a single round were found nearby.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    You must be new around here. Welcome to INGO.

No, I think he's right. Any time someone points out anything that could have been done to reduce the chances of being a crime victim, that is "victim blaming". Victim blaming is forbidden.

Last edited:

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I wonder how the weapon was secured in the car? Unless you knew, you'd be completely lost on how to pull an rifle out of CPD car.

What would make getting a rifle out of a CPD car any more difficult than any other police car? Do they have some fancier gun mount with some special swipe card access panel or something?
    Back before the MCSD/IPD merger in 2007, we had inmate workers at the garage washing cars. Even they knew how to open the overhead shotgun racks. Both by bypassing the electric switch and using the key.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN

The Department's own report stated the weapon was "unsecured", whatever that means. I could understand them not wanting to give further details so as not to educate would-be thieves.

Any way you slice it, a fail nonetheless unless the thief broke into the car and/or defeated additional security measures and devices.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Wonder if there is a record of radio transmissions from Martinsville/Morgan Co on this?

I happened to catch a bit of a radio transmission on the scanner app. I could certainly be mistaken, but I think I heard a reference to a search for a weapon that was "lost from a Martinsville unit."

Maybe I heard it wrong. Maybe interpreted the phrase wrong?

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    No, I think he's right. Any time someone points out anything that could have been done to reduce the chances of being a crime victim, that is "victim blaming". Victim blaming is forbidden.
    I agree completely, but soon, there will be people calling for the officer to be fired, or beheaded.

Thieves are dirtbags. Stealing is wrong. The officer might have violated a department policy, or maybe not, doesn't really matter to me. Somebody knowingly and intentionally took something that didn't belong to them. That's a violation of the law, the Ten Commandments, and just plain old fashioned human decency. Let's see who gets in more trouble.

Top Bottom