• ...and so much more!
  • DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I had one for awhile (in .308, not 7.5x54) and didn't have any issues. The only issue I think I've heard of was that the firing pin could "stick" and cause the gun to slam fire/go full auto, similar to an SKS with the floating firing pin.

SWAT153

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2010
    Ok, good to know. I did read about the slam fire, has me a little nervous once I do take it out to shoot, lol. I looked on GB and found some firing pins. Think I'll buy a few and set back.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Ok, good to know. I did read about the slam fire, has me a little nervous once I do take it out to shoot, lol. I looked on GB and found some firing pins. Think I'll buy a few and set back.

I think they make a replacement firing pin "kit" that has a spring to go with it so that it's no longer a free-floating pin. Might check into that. While it's not the same problem, the solution might be the same, if that makes any sense at all. :):

AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around
    Never had a firing pin break, but years ago I did have a slam fire during the first magazine full of FNM commercial ammo - not fun and could have easily destroyed the rifle if it had been out of battery.

You can avoid this problem by using original surplus ammo which has very hard primers. The stuff in the French military 15 round boxes works fine, but is corrosive. Syrian surplus can be hit or miss depending upon the lot and is corrosive. The stuff made by Gevelot in the orange 20 round boxes has some duds and hangfires - I avoid it even though it is supposedly non-corrosive.

The other alternatives were identified by jinks in his post. Either of those solutions will allow you to safely fire soft primer commercial ammo.

Top Bottom