• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 380Mike

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Scenario: one of your coworkers says they went to "X" gunshop and bought a Black Friday deal pistol, then adds they don't know the make/model/caliber. Haven't shot it yet. Hearing this, are you happy for them, jealous they got a new gun or concerned.
    After some detective work, I believe they picked up the Shield EZ 380.

BrettonJudy7

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 2, 2017
    GREENFIELD
    Scenario: one of your coworkers says they went to "X" gunshop and bought a Black Friday deal pistol, then adds they don't know the make/model/caliber. Haven't shot it yet. Hearing this, are you happy for them, jealous they got a new gun or concerned.
    After some detective work, I believe they picked up the Shield EZ 380.

I think I would be more happy for them for purchasing their first firearm. I know you didn't say it was their "first" firearm, but I just would kind of assume that it was based on their not knowing some basics.
    Overall, I'm usually happy when coworkers tell me they bought a gun.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I think I would be more happy for them for purchasing their first firearm. I know you didn't say it was their "first" firearm, but I just would kind of assume that it was based on their not knowing some basics.
    Overall, I'm usually happy when coworkers tell me they bought a gun.

This. And now there is common ground for discussion and advancement.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I'm known as "the gun guy" in our office so I can relate. I get people coming to me asking advice from time to time, but I don't think I've ever had one tell be that they bought something and didn't know what it was. :):

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    In today's political, doxing, "red flag" climate, it might pay to be intentionally slow on the draw to out ourselves as gun owners?

Coworker friends today might be "triggered" tomorrow. Just sayin'...

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Depends on the individuals assessment of risk. Everyone will be different based on their personal comfort level and their employer/co-worker.

Personally, it never crossed my mind and that cat has been long out of the bag.

Old Dog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2016
    Central Indiana
    I would be concerned about anyone claiming they bought a gun and didn't know the make, model, or caliber of it. I would assume they are... how do I say this without being mean... oh- not well enough informed, or else they are baiting you.

380Mike

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    This bumps into the idea of how wise it is to get involved in firearms discussions in the workplace?

We know each other are pro-gun. Happy for her, I just thought it was funny buying her 1st gun (with hubby's help) without remembering the details.

380Mike

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    I would be concerned about anyone claiming they bought a gun and didn't know the make, model, or caliber of it. I would assume they are... how do I say this without being mean... oh- not well enough informed, or else they are baiting you.

Her hubby is a hunter and helped her pick it out, I'm sure. It just struck me as funny. I guess that's the difference between men & women.
    If I told my wife a friend of ours had a baby boy, should would want details. What time, how much did he weigh, what did they name him? I don't know, they just had a baby boy.
    If I asked my wife to pick the Bersa out of all of my 5 handguns, I'm not sure she could, or would care. I'm alright with that, guns are her thing.

SpydieSig

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 26, 2019
    Lafayette
    If this is a gun person... happy.

However if this is not a gun person, a blend of happy/concerned with a side of hey buddy lets go shooting together your first time. Hopefully you can help them ease into ownership/safety (these should be 1 in the same imo) and the joy of ownership and their rights.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Good for her. Another happy gun owner. :yesway:

So 380Mike....
    When are you going to tell her about how much .380s suck? :):

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    This bumps into the idea of how wise it is to get involved in firearms discussions in the workplace?

I keep it on the down low now. I got a "talking to" from one of my former bosses because some liberal chick was apparently "triggered" by my self-made screen saver that was just a slide show of some of my guns. After the first "talking to", I changed it to pictures of My Little Pony, rainbows, kittens and unicorns. Then I got another "talking to" because she complained that people were stopping by my desk and talking about guns. I never initiated the conversations at my desk. Finally explained to my boss that I was a C&R licensed collector. It wasn't long after that that I had the opportunity to switch to a different team. Haven't had anymore issues since then, and I don't sit near the liberal chick. I still don't bring up guns except with people that I know are also gun people.

The funny thing is, we work for the DoD (civilians)... you know, the people with the most, and coolest weapons in the world! Seems like if liberal chick was so opposed to guns, she might have sought employment elsewhere. :rolleyes:

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    If this is a gun person... happy.

However if this is not a gun person, a blend of happy/concerned with a side of hey buddy lets go shooting together your first time. Hopefully you can help them ease into ownership/safety (these should be 1 in the same imo) and the joy of ownership and their rights.

My standard response when a female coworker wants to do something outside of work, 'I can't, because my wife wouldn't like it'. But I just let it slide when they tell me what color panties they're wearing.:pimp:

Top Bottom