• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BrettonJudy7

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 2, 2017
    GREENFIELD
    On my way into work this morning, saw a big coyote in a field off of 500 N about a half mile before Fortville Pike. About 7:30 AM.

I've never hunted coyotes, or shot coyotes that were on my land... yet... But was wondering what advice anyone would have on best rifles/pistols or calibers to use to dispose of coyotes?

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Plenty of people hunt coyotes with a 12ga + buck shot. Plenty of people use .223. Plenty use 5.56. Plenty use .243. Plenty use plenty of other things.

Honestly, just about anything you have will work. The limiting factor will be YOU and how comfortable you are with longer shots. Also how much $ you want to invest in calls / decoys / night vision (if you want to extend your hunting times), NV compatible scope, etc etc.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I am not a seasoned coyote hunter either. I did take one a couple years back though. He was hanging out a hundred yards from my neighbors chicken coup.

90 yard brain shot with a .17 HMR, DRT.

rhslover

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 6, 2012
    I shot one with a M1 Garand while it had one of my chickens in its mouth. Not saying the M1 is the best thing for yotes, but there's no question if you hit them or not.

therewolf

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2013
    United States
    Coyotes ain't big on exposing themselves, unless there's the prospect of a meal. Look at it like this : Most football teams would trade body parts for a 17-1 season, right?

... a 17-1 season for a coyote = a dead coyote.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    383   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Got them here in McCordsville too..

They are here in town too.
    A friend of mine, just down the street had his adult Pit-Bull attacked by a pack..Heavy damage to the dog's rear quarters..Have been seen at the McCordsville Park @ Mount Comfort road and 750 North also..They are getting hungry.. Bill.

PS: Not here in town, but elsewhere my 22.250 Rem. does a FINE job on Coyotes..Ask me how I know??.....

Last edited:

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    Hmmm

So you guys don’t have coyotes in your yard?

1. .22 head shot only

2. .17 HRM FMJ seems work the best

3. shotgun for night work

4. AR works great on em

BrettonJudy7

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 2, 2017
    GREENFIELD
    They are here in town too.
    A friend of mine, just down the street had his adult Pit-Bull attacked by a pack..Heavy damage to the dog's rear quarters..Have been seen at the McCordsville Park @ Mount Comfort road and 750 North also..They are getting hungry.. Bill.

PS: Not here in town, but elsewhere my 22.250 Rem. does a FINE job on Coyotes..Ask me how I know??.....

I was more surprised to see him in the daylight. Granted it was still cold morning, but sun was coming up and pretty clear. Do they roam around during the daylight around you?

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    IME
    It’s not unusual to see one in the early morning or late afternoon romping around looking for trouble!

Note : If one is sitting on your porch at high noon something is not right!

Top Bottom