• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Picked up my Cowboy boots today from the boot repair shop. I had vertical supports put in an a strip of leather sewn into the top edge. I guess the guy at the shop could not resist asking why when we picked them up today, my wife told him it’s so he can put a bug in his boot. I don’t think he got it.

Tried them out tonight no sag, and my P365 stays secured and in place in my Desantis holster. For me it’s a lot better than an ankle holster.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Picked up my Cowboy boots today from the boot repair shop. I had vertical supports put in an a strip of leather sewn into the top edge. I guess the guy at the shop could not resist asking why when we picked them up today, my wife told him it’s so he can put a bug in his boot. I don’t think he got it.

Tried them out tonight no sag, and my P365 stays secured and in place in my Desantis holster. For me it’s a lot better than an ankle holster.

I am not finding an ankle holster that woks for me.

mike4sigs

Master
    Rating - 94.4%
    34   2   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Southern Adams County

I like your idea ,
    Care to share more on it ?
    did you put the supports on the inside ? and what was the dimensions ?

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn

I like your idea , Care to share more on it ?

I'm with Mike...what an intriguing idea...able to or care to show pics?

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree

Now? I'm guessing you qualified b4.

SpydieSig

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 26, 2019
    Lafayette
    Interesting idea. Never would have thought of that. Might work great as a sneaky work boot setup too. Would love to see pics.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    I like your idea ,
    Care to share more on it ?

Yes the supports go in between the leather or in between the leather and fabric liner depending on how the boot was made. you will need cut slots for the supports to go into, length will be dependent on the height of the boot. You can probably use different materials for the vertical supports. Cheapest most available would probably be metal ruler. You may need to cut it dependent style of boot and you can stack them depending how rigid you want it to be, and potential size and weight of your bug or primary as the situation dictates.

one of the things that I requested was to have the top slots left open so that in the event that I went with too many inserts I could adjust as needed.

I was a bit nervous at first modifying a nice set of Olathe Boots but it was well worth the risk, and I think it turned out great. Main thing is boot construction and height and width of the shaft.

If anyone is interested I can give an update an a bit I want to kick the tires and see if there is anything I want to change or add.

Thanks

sharpetop

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    An old military buddy of mine used to carry a mouse gun in a cheap clip on IWB holster in his left cowboy boot. He also wore a belt with a buckle that could be pulled with a nasty looking dagger coming out.

His motto was "knife cancels out fist, gun cancels out knife"!

markiemark

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jun 21, 2011
    Liberty, IN
    Not a bad idea at all, especially if it works well for you. Maybe you could have something sewn into the other boot for a magazine? Inhad better luck carrying a magazine on my ankle than my gun.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Not a bad idea at all, especially if it works well for you. Maybe you could have something sewn into the other boot for a [STRIKE]magazine[/STRIKE] BUG? Inhad better luck carrying a magazine on my ankle than my gun.

FIFY... if going for an ankle a New York reload makes more sense than getting a spare magazine.

Last edited:
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    When I use to ankle carry.
    I always thought about how I would handle the situation.
    After I hand over everything.
    I would kneel down like I was saying a prayer of thanks.
    Then I would lift the pant leg and repay the thief.
    Then I ran into a problem.
    What do I do in the summer and wearing shorts.
    Then at the Indy N R A show.
    I found the most beautiful, IWB.
    Now I can carry 100%.
    Even people who know I am carrying do not see it.
    The other day at a match shoot.
    I asked for special run from my IWB.
    Just as quick as my out carry.
    OH at first I did not like the exposed trigger.
    Could be a problem when needed a quick draw.
    I took a piece of heat forming plastic and made a trigger cover clip.
    I then attached a piece of 6+/- string from clip to holster.
    Now when I draw.
    The string pulls off the clip after I have a firm grip.

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    De Santis Apache with a Glock-27 for me, but any ankle set up gives the bad guy a chance to shoot you in the head as you bend, kneel, or whatever to get to it.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    De Santis Apache with a Glock-27 for me, but any ankle set up gives the bad guy a chance to shoot you in the head as you bend, kneel, or whatever to get to it.

For me its for bug us mainly. It is not replacing my sidearm. Although the Sig in my opinion has adequate capacity for a stand alone it is usually an additional option. Not suggesting that Ankle carry is always the best option, sometimes it is. Another area where I found it useful was at Church, Moderate threat environment, where you are seated for periods of time. Although I am usually reading the screen, I do stay aware of movement etc.

Think about it you are already seated, and if something goes south its unlikely that appearing to get down out of the way is going to be perceived as opposition.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    When I use to ankle carry.
    I always thought about how I would handle the situation.
    After I hand over everything.
    I would kneel down like I was saying a prayer of thanks.
    Then I would lift the pant leg and repay the thief.
    Then I ran into a problem.
    What do I do in the summer and wearing shorts.
    Then at the Indy N R A show.
    I found the most beautiful, IWB.
    Now I can carry 100%.
    Even people who know I am carrying do not see it.
    The other day at a match shoot.
    I asked for special run from my IWB.
    Just as quick as my out carry.
    OH at first I did not like the exposed trigger.
    Could be a problem when needed a quick draw.
    I took a piece of heat forming plastic and made a trigger cover clip.
    I then attached a piece of 6+/- string from clip to holster.
    Now when I draw.
    The string pulls off the clip after I have a firm grip.

I think your post illustrates a good point. When an in case of emergency break glass moment comes up! Seems like having the ability to draw with out seeming obvious is a skill that could prove useful

Top Bottom