• ...and so much more!
  • Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    One of the platforms I shoot a lot is Bolt Action 700’s. My buddy who is LH recently sold his LH .270 As he finds working a RH Bolt easier. Just curious what other LH Ingoers are finding?

wagyu52

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    South of cob corner
    Learned to live with it. I”ve owned several left handed firearms and have several with ambi controls but really find them awkward. I do mag releases and bolt stops with my left index finger, most safeties with the inside of my index finger above or below the knuckle.
    Even 1911’s with ambi controls are always the extended version and much easier to get with the index finger, I rarely use my thumb.
    Right bolt guns are much easier to run prone or a bench left handed even free handed it’s not hard.

Being left handed has it’s benefits, much easier to learn how to shoot right handed than left.

Last edited:

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    Bought a savage mk2 a few months back. Was a little weird not having to do the crossover like on my Marlin 80 and 81.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I think I have 3 LH bolt actions that I should sell. I am left eyed and right handed. I have always shot long guns left handed, but manipulating a bolt action is awkward for me.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    Like Expat, I'm right handed, but very left eye dominant. I shoot bolt guns left handed, and have no desire to try a left handed gun at this point. From a bench with a bipod, right hand works the bolt just fine, and no need to change anything position wise.

COOPADUP

Accipiter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 8, 2017
    Hamilton County
    Have always been a lefty and have never owned a LH rifle. A little harder to find and generally more expensive.
    I would like to try one sometime just to see how it feels.

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    A dedicated lefty here. I have a Ruger M&& MkII LH in .270 and the only gun my wife ever bought me -a LH 1187 Premier. The first lefty grandchild gets them on the spot. Always wanted a LH flintlock. The spark and flame with a RH is a little distracting.

Tanfodude

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2012
    4 Seasons
    I have a left hand AR. I wish there's a left hand pistol slide so I can get my thumb of support hand higher on the gun. But I'm ambi. I can shoot right if I wanted to.

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    I have a left hand AR. I wish there's a left hand pistol slide so I can get my thumb of support hand higher on the gun. But I'm ambi. I can shoot right if I wanted to.

so cool to be ambi! Whenever I try anything left handed it turns out looking like one of those rapper moves.:ingo:

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I really, really, want to get a LH bolt action - the "over the top" is awkward and slow.

Plus, there's a safety issue - with the correctly oriented action, the ejection port is away from your body, so should something explode, the blast isn't directed into your face.

And with direct impingement autos, I eat way too much gunpowder residue to be healthy.

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    Im a lefty, i shoot both left and right bolts the same way. I cycle the bolts with my right hand.
    I also shoot a bunch of B 82's and 1885 Brownings, they make it easy to be left handed.
    One thing i have done with AR's is to over gas them a bit so ejection happens around one to two oclock.

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    As a left handed shooter, I finally got tired of using right handed guns, so I've been selling off almost all of my milsurp bolt guns. I'm only keeping my Mosin Nagant and my No 4 Mk 1 Enfield (you always need a Mosin and the Enfield was my very first non-.22 rifle that I've had for over 25 years).

I'm sticking to lever guns and autos, with a few single shots to fill my old, obsolete milsurp predilections.

I'd really like to have one .300 BLK bolt gun to run with a suppressor. But since none of the major manufacturers want to make a .300 BLK in a left handed configuration, I can't justify spending $1k+ to build a custom gun that matches a $350 right handed rifle.

Top Bottom