Hugo_Schmeisser_Portrait.jpg

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    I really do wonder what he would have thought of Americans and American AK culture today. Would have been quite a trip for him to live to see a Red Oktober match.

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    I’m sure I’ll get hate mail but idolizing a Communist inventor of a stamped Gun to kill us and our allies just sticks in this old mans crawl. It is however a freedom I support for anyone that wants said piece in our America to enjoy. But idolizing this communist, not my cup of tea.

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    He did know of our fixation before cheap AR's with his AK's, he was invited to the US to speak several times and was treated like a Celebrity at each event he went to.
    He made $20 a pop for his signature on a mailed photo, and could get plenty of Vodka and Suchka on that I bet.

CallSign Snafu

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Apr 3, 2015
    Indy
    I’m sure I’ll get hate mail but idolizing a Communist inventor of a stamped Gun to kill us and our allies just sticks in this old mans crawl. It is however a freedom I support for anyone that wants said piece in our America to enjoy. But idolizing this communist, not my cup of tea.

To be fair he designed the gun because he hated Nazi's and the design phase of the weapon predated the cold war.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    I tried to change the thread title, alas it is carved in stone apparently. But yes he’s still dead.

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    To be fair he designed the gun because he hated Nazi's and the design phase of the weapon predated the cold war.

Thank you for the knowledge. That's why INGO is so cool. If it wikkipedes out to be true, I will take back my poor attitude towards the AK. See, an old dog can learn new tricks. Thanks again.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    That old commie ******* is still dead!!! :rockwoot::rockwoot:

Was he a communist, or just stuck inside a communist country? :dunno:

True, but communism was well established in the Soviet Union.

FWIW, gun designers just need to design guns... If we can't blame the gun when someone uses it for evil, then how can we blame the designer?

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    Was he a communist, or just stuck inside a communist country? :dunno:

He was an unrepentant commie.

He designed...with varying degrees of help from others...an excellent combat rifle. I think you can recognize the excellence without embracing his political ideology. Autobahns ("interstate highways" in American-speak) and Volkswagens are good inventions too, even if they came from Adolf. We can leave the Nazis and the Communists in the dustbin of history without throwing out firearms and super highways.

The Soviet Union on occasion came up with some good technical and scientific stuff, but their system had trouble exploiting anything that was very advanced. Ben Rich, a lead engineer for Lockheed and Kelly Johnson, wrote how they developed the Stealth Fighter based on theoretical work in RF that came out of the USSR -- work so advanced that the Soviet censors didn't recognize what was in front of them and let it be published. The Soviets had few people who could recognize the significance and no design and manufacturing capability to exploit it if they did. But the US of A did. I wouldn't throw away stealth technology just because the commies had at least one bright idea.

And yes Kalashnikov is still dead.

Top Bottom