• ...and so much more!
  • Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    With winter coming on I thought an ongoing thread of writing about a shooting session with your various firearms might be fun. First let me say (shock to y'all) that I am not a GunWriter or do I play one on TV. This forum is great place to discuss anything guns and is great for entertainment and education. However, with so much of the activity focused on Defense and the Shooting Sports, let's try to keep this to reporting about one of your favorite guns and a day at the range plinking.

Just got home from the range where I had a great time with my Sears Model 25. Weather was overcast but 50° with a light wind out of the west. I usually shoot with the sun behind my back when I can. Tuff to do sometimes because many of our ranges are laid out shooting East and West instead of North or South but sometimes a cloudy day can be a blessing. After setting up one of my targets at 40 yards I wanted to try CCI Shorts, Winchester M22's, CCI SV, Eley Club and finally CCI Velocitors. This High Standard ? made gun is fun to shoot. Nicknamed a clickity clack gun because the bolt stays locked back until you reset the trigger. For tin can busting it is pretty neat to mix shorts, long's and long rifles and bust away as it eats anything all the time. I think it may be a 26 inch barrel but I am too lazy to measure it right now. (this is one reason I am not a GunWriter). My 1959 wood and all quality steel gun with this old scope is very accurate as you can see by the photo. I have the scope set at 75 yards so I did not adjust for the 40 yard groups as I was just testing accuracy. The trigger is mushy and resistant (do not know if anything can be done but do not want to interfere with reliability at this point) but with concentration and good trigger control it is a moot point. Removing the all brass follower with a metal plunger from the magazine tube makes filling this up to capacity (21 Shorts) very easy. In this day of Thousand Dollar guns with laser beams, hair triggers, compromised material and Cerakoty Paintjobs
    out the whazoo,
    , and hyper killer Barn Dog ammo, it is kind of nice to revisit this old friend and just spend some quality time at the range.

Here's a sip of Old 55 to you as settle down to the six o'clock news. Thank you and I hope to see some of your range reports on one of your favorites.

Attachments

• IMG_5587[556].jpg
      IMG_5587[556].jpg
      41.7 KB · Views: 39

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Nice idea for a thread. Next time I take one of the old favorites out to the range, I’ll have to take some photos and document the trip a bit more.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I still hunt with my old Remington Nylon 66, have had it since age 10. It's accounted for more game than any other firearm I own and still does a good job today.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I just took the rifle I refinished for the grandson for Christmas out for a function check yesterday and it's also a click-clack rifle (aka gill gun). It's a Stevens model 87D, and is also from 1959 (same as me!). It is really accurate and just a pleasure to shoot. I have a High Standard Sport King of my own and it's also one of my favorite .22 rifles to shoot.

ZZQyU5T.jpg

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    I just took the rifle I refinished for the grandson for Christmas out for a function check yesterday and it's also a click-clack rifle (aka gill gun). It's a Stevens model 87D, and is also from 1959 (same as me!). It is really accurate and just a pleasure to shoot. I have a High Standard Sport King of my own and it's also one of my favorite .22 rifles to shoot.

ZZQyU5T.jpg

very nice. Would be honored to plink with you sometime.

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    Just getting back from another day at the range. This time with my Hopkins and Allen Double Barrel 12GA Hammer Shotgun from 1903. This piece orginally sold to Wells Fargo Frieght in California. This thing shoots beautifully as I ran it through some steel today. The wood is original and Simmons of Kansas redid the blue and case colors about 30 years ago. First trigger is right barrel. Hammers are original and matched as well. Enjoy.

IMG_5608[607].jpg IMG_5610[608].jpg

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    Home now from a great day at the range. Took an old friend out from my days shooting IHMSA. Thompson Center Contender in 30-30. Outdoor range wasn’t crowded. I tried the new G2 but prefer this on from the 80’s. Very accurate on 200 yard Rams.

View attachment 82347

Attachments

• 862FD64A-887C-4A8F-82BF-EEC5317EB99E.jpeg
      862FD64A-887C-4A8F-82BF-EEC5317EB99E.jpeg
      75.2 KB · Views: 4
    Top Bottom