• ...and so much more!
  • TylerStone

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2019
    Castleton
    Hey there!

I'm really new to to this forum and to firearms in general so please forgive me for not using much jargon here. I'll be happy to get more specific in comments and edit the OP appropriately as I learn and discover what you need to know so we don't end up with lots of comments repeating information.

Basically, I am looking to become a first-time homeowner in the next 12 months which is really exciting in itself. I am having a very difficult time, however, figuring out where I should be looking for property where I can shoot in my backyard. I would ideally like to create a small range for myself, even possibly invest in one of those machines that zips the target down range for you (don't know what it's called). I like shooting my 9mm handgun anywhere from 5-25yd and my .22 long rifle at 100yd.

While I would be willing to invest money in installing berms, backstop, etc, this will be my starter home likely to be upgraded within 5-10 years so nothing too overboard. Just enough to be safe and confident in where the bullets will be stopping.

The meat of my question is: what county, what area, WHERE can I legally, safely, and appropriately do all of this? I really like the Northeast side, I work in McCordsville and would love to stay out this way but for the purpose of the question it wouldn't have to necessarily be so confined.

Whatever it's worth I have done a bit of googling and keep coming back to this site, but from threads from early 2010 and wanted to seek out fresh information.

Huge gratitude in advance for your help.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    :welcome: to :ingo:! You've probably already figured out that you're going to need to be outside of Marion County for what you're looking for. Not sure what the land availability (or local regulations are) out in Hancock county but I would think there could be something out that way that would suit your purpose. Probably going to need to be in a rural area for sure, and I would think you'd want a minimum of 5-10 acres so you could be far enough away from any neighbors to negate that concern. Sorry I'm not big on details. I'd like to do the same someday (probably after I retire). I'm currently living in the house where I grew up, and when I was a kid we did shoot shotguns and .22's in the back yard, but that was back in the early 1970's. Those days are long gone, unfortunately.

ashby koss

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 24, 2013
    Connersville
    If your ok with travel you can attempt to find a small 1-2 acre plot and buy it separate of your house. Then The house can change but your range only costs like 20$ a year in tax

TylerStone

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2019
    Castleton
    If your ok with travel you can attempt to find a small 1-2 acre plot and buy it separate of your house. Then The house can change but your range only costs like 20$ a year in tax

This is an extremely clever alternative. Obviously my ideal is to walk off the back porch and onto the firing line (dramatic, but that's the idea), but this would work very well if that can't happen for any reason.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    The short answer is someplace outside an incorporated area and mostly likely some type of Ag zoning.

Your best bet is when you find an area is to ask the local planning/zoning entity where firearm use IS RESTRICTED or PROHIBITED and also a good idea to follow up with the same question of the Chief Law enforcement officer for the jurisdiction. Noise ordinances may be applicable, as well.

Lots of jurisdictions so it not easy to give you a “one size fits all” answer.

Not only are proper barriers, terrain and setbacks critical but think about how sound travels at a particular location and who the neighbors are. You can be perfectly legal and still have trouble with the neighbors.

n9tkf

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2018
    Just before the earth ends.
    This is an extremely clever alternative. Obviously my ideal is to walk off the back porch and onto the firing line (dramatic, but that's the idea), but this would work very well if that can't happen for any reason.
    This is my setup, right out of the house on the deck/ firing line. I usually shoot 22 rifles and handguns at the house.

If you are willing to travel 1-2 hours south of Indy, there are properties with few if any restrictions. I always try to talk to the folks living around the area to get local information and then follow up at the courthouse.

A lot of counties have the parcel info available on line and you can get information there as well.

Top Bottom