• ...and so much more!
  • bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Wonder what INGOers do to prevent this problem?

[video=youtube;qzf_wT7hY44]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzf_wT7hY44[/video]

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    I understand wanting to stay healthy but geez...paranoid much? Our full-time range staff are present for maybe a million rounds fired a year (+ or -) and are tested for lead yearly. It's very rare for excessive lead levels in the blood to be an issue. Wash your hands and clothes...problem solved.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    ...and even where there are excessive lead levels found in the body, if you are an adult, health problems are rarely caused.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I traded with an INGOer a few years back that quit going to indoor ranges after working them for a while. He had gotten blood work, showing excessive lead levels. :dunno:

jek

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 7, 2019
    I know a guy who's perpetually concerned with the vaporized lead on the back of some types of handgun rounds where there is exposed lead to the burning powder. I don't think this would be much of an issue, but he certainly thinks so. Figure the off gasses from the powder would be harmful first.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Lead is over hyped as a toxic problem along with a lot of other chemicals. The wheel weight concern brought gales of laughter in my industry when the government wanted to change to zinc or iron because of lead concerns on the highway. The same government that mandates the use of lead chromate in traffic paint on every highway, every where.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    We had a Automotive battery manufacturing factory in my city. All the employees were tested regularly, those who drank a lot of beer were rarely found to have excess lead in their system. Beer is also used as a treatment for radiation poisoning as it seems to cleanse the body of heavy metals! So any of us that reload or shoot indoors should drink more beer, right?

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Also note - it ain't the bullets that are the issues.

It's the vaporized priming compounds that can be the issue.

Don't eat / drink / smoke while doing high volume shooting. That'll solve a bunch of it.

If you're actively trying to start a family - you need to be extra cautious of your lead exposure. Not only can it make it more difficult to conceive, it may also have adverse affects on the baby in-utero.

It can also greatly affect health and healthy growing of infants / babies / toddlers etc and on up into adulthood.

I do not know the veracity of the claim, but there's a body of thought that correlates the drop in crime rate in NYC with the switch to unleaded gasoline - meaning that lead in our systems can also create behavior problems in adults.

Top Bottom