• ...and so much more!
  • mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    Anyone have any idea how much it cost at the wholesale level? Just wondering what the profit margins might be on it in general.

Thanks

I’m sure the answer varies given the size of the reseller.

I had a buddy that owned a gun store. Just a small place in a small town. Can’t give you a percentage but generally when it came to ammo and some accessories, he could often order it cheaper than his wholesale costs.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    I’m sure the answer varies given the size of the reseller.

I had a buddy that owned a gun store. Just a small place in a small town. Can’t give you a percentage but generally when it came to ammo and some accessories, he could often order it cheaper than his wholesale costs.

Thanks I was kind of wondering how much money I helped Walmart to lose?

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    My LGS has a 30% mark up. They stay pretty competitive. Many times it's not worth driving or ordering online since taxes are being taken out. I buy my reloading bullets from them at the same price or cheaper than Graf and Sons or Midway but I dont have to pay shipping charge.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Back when my local gun store and I were on speaking terms, I mentioned the price on some ammo I saw on sale and he told me that the price was lower than he could order it for.

COOPADUP

Accipiter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 8, 2017
    Hamilton County
    Anyone have any idea how much it cost at the wholesale level? Just wondering what the profit margins might be on it in general.

Thanks

A friend of mine had a small gun shop for a couple of years and advised me that ammo and accessories would mark up 30-40%
    Gun margins were usually 10% or less. Depending on what price something was sold or traded.
    Tough business to be in.

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    Back when my local gun store and I were on speaking terms, I mentioned the price on some ammo I saw on sale and he told me that the price was lower than he could order it for.

Can’t imagine why the gun store owner and you aren’t on speaking terms any longer. Walk into my store and start telling how much cheaper everything is somewhere else. Pretty short one sided conversation would follow.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Can’t imagine why the gun store owner and you aren’t on speaking terms any longer. Walk into my store and start telling how much cheaper everything is somewhere else. Pretty short one sided conversation would follow.
    Even after I had bought about $10k+ in guns from you?
    This had nothing to do with us getting on the outs. I asked how much a certain pistol would be, they gave me a price. I said as soon as you get it in, let me know. They called, I went in to pick it up, bought a bunch of other stuff, mags, ammo, etc. After I left I discovered they charged me $100 more on the pistol than I was told. I called and asked, they basically said tough ****. So I haven't been back.

HCALREF

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2017
    Hendricks County
    I have worked in 2 gun shops. One in early 1980s and one around 2009 /2010. The larger the shop and the larger the purchases the better the price break from the distributer.

Top Bottom