• ...and so much more!
  • longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    This happened to me yesterday.

What do you do if the battery for the key fob goes bad and you try to start the car. Now what do you do if none of the stores sell that battery in walking distance?

You call your son to bring the other fob.

So my take away is to have a spare battery for your key fob safely stored in your car before you get stuck in a life and death situation.

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I have seen that some of these indicate to put the fob right next to the push start button as it may be weak battery but still enough to get it started. I have not put that to the test as yet on the wife's car as we have not yet had the situation.

rkwhyte2

aka: Vinny
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    Sheridan
    This happened to me yesterday.

What do you do if the battery for the key fob goes bad and you try to start the car. Now what do you do if none of the stores sell that battery in walking distance?

You call your son to bring the other fob.

So my take away is to have a spare battery for your key fob safely stored in your car before you get stuck in a life and death situation.

This is good advice. It is too bad that companies don't have a small backup battery built in to the fob. Even better if the backup battery was charged via solar power. If they can do it with a watch why not a key fob?

PaulJF

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 3, 2010
    Linden
    Some cars have a space under the cup holder mat to place a dead key fob and it allows you to start the car

long coat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 6, 2010
    Avon
    Read your owners manual. Some of them you drop the dead fob in a cup holder or is one of the dash cubbies and the car will start.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Stupid technical key fob bull**** crap.
    All these toys that are suppose to make our lives more convenient. Bah!

No more computers or fly by wire...... and bring back window cranks....... and standard transmissions........ and thick metal bodies you could step on......... with real bumpers....... and gas above 100 octane....... dump the cats and give me straight pipes if I so choose because it's my ****ing car and I should be able to do with it what the **** I want to!
    :xmad::xmad::xmad::xmad:

Weren't cars suppose to fly by now? :dunno:

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    As said earlier, read the manual. I know my car manual states that if the battery doesn't work as normally from the pocket, touching it to the start button will activate the starter.

I seem to be one of the few that enjoy reading the manual of a car I just purchased, and with all the operating stuff hidden in a tablet that is impossible to find while driving, reading the manual is almost a necessity with these newer impossible to operate cars.

I was glad I read my manual about the "dead" fob, but was glad to find the car spoke to me to tell me to touch the fob to the starter button when the battery went out.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Like others have said, check your owners manual. I believe that all cars that use push button start systems have a place where you can set the key fob with the dead battery and still start the car. I've got a Toyota, I just hold the fob with the dead battery up to the start button and press to start.

I'll never go back to a car/truck that uses a key. So easy and quick to start the car with a push of a button and to lock/unlock the car by just pressing a button or sensor on the door handle.

I had to rent a minivan a few weeks ago and it had one of those stupid Chrysler key fobs that is actually also a key that you stick in the ignition like some kind of caveman. I thought to myself, "What kind of third world bull**** is this?" :):

CCC

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 17, 2014
    Northeast
    Another question for push to start vehicles.

If the battery under the hood is dead how can the transmission be shifted to neutral?

Also, if the parking brake is an electrical switch, not a mechanical linkage, how can the brake be released when car battery dies?

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy

If the battery under the hood is dead how can the transmission be shifted to neutral?

Also, if the parking brake is an electrical switch, not a mechanical linkage, how can the brake be released when car battery dies?

I've never even thought about either of these scenarios. Why do I want the transmission to be in neutral if the battery is dead? Just get a jump start. And I don't remember the last time I used a parking brake, mechanical or otherwise. But again...jump start.

PaulF

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 4, 2009
    Indianapolis

On VW cars there is a mechanism at the base of the shifter that manually relases the interlock. I imagine the same is true for other manufaturers.

Electric parking brake...ugh. On the VW cars I service, there is an allen key socket on the back of the caliper that allows the piston to be pulled back manually. I'm not sure how you're supposed to access it in the field.

As a tech, I'm not a fan of keyless entry and push-to-start. I prefer a manual ignition switch that connects terminal 15 to terminal 30 mechanically. I don't like having to 'ask' the car to make (or break) this connection. If there is a funtion set that allows the car to turn itself on and off there is likely to be a failure state that allows the same...and that scares the hell out of me - my hands are in there!

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    I don't know what all the fuss is. All you need is a TRASHCAN. :):

[video=youtube;fhCFpg7M89M]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhCFpg7M89M&t=11s[/video]

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Like others have said, check your owners manual. I believe that all cars that use push button start systems have a place where you can set the key fob with the dead battery and still start the car. I've got a Toyota, I just hold the fob with the dead battery up to the start button and press to start.

I'll never go back to a car/truck that uses a key. So easy and quick to start the car with a push of a button and to lock/unlock the car by just pressing a button or sensor on the door handle.

I had to rent a minivan a few weeks ago and it had one of those stupid Chrysler key fobs that is actually also a key that you stick in the ignition like some kind of caveman. I thought to myself, "What kind of third world bull**** is this?" :):

I think this would be a good post for the First World Problems thread. :):

Heck, just the other day, the battery in DoggyMama's Honda Oddysey (2006 - not exactly new) had a dead battery because she left the dome light on. The jumper cables are in a compartment back by the rear hatchback. There is no way to open the rear hatchback with a dead battery. She had to unlock the front door (the only door with an actual manual lock that you can open with a key), then climb over 2 rows of seats to get to the jumper cable. Why wouldn't they have a keyed lock on every door? Really dumb design if you ask me.

I don't think I would ever willingly own a vehicle with the push button start. Just another electrical part vulnerable to failure IMHO.

And btw, when I read the title to this thread, the first thought that came to mind was pushing a car with a manual transmission in order to pop the clutch to start it. Pretty sure I'm dating myself with that statement. :fogey: :):

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area

On my Kia, there is a tiny trap door (1/4 square) by the shifter. Pry the cover off and you can insert the screwdriver down into the hole to release it. I presume other manufacturers probably do the same.

Like this.

maxresdefault.jpg

Top Bottom