KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    So does this mean expungements no longer have to be worded in a particular way?

The law was changed a while back so Indiana felony expungements return gun rights under USC 18 Sec 922. I can't remember the specifics.

Hopefully the old preacher who got busted in 65 with two joints got his felony expunged.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Voting is automatically restored after end of all court encumbrances in IN. Other states disenfranchise felons permanently, and I think still there you have to ask they be restored(not sure n this one, but the first two I am).

I was speaking generally, concerning all states. There are plenty more than a few that permanently disqualify people from voting, due to certain offenses. Not to mention, for those eligible, casting a ballot, IMO, is FAR more difficult than it should be.

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    I was speaking generally, concerning all states. There are plenty more than a few that permanently disqualify people from voting, due to certain offenses. Not to mention, for those eligible, casting a ballot, IMO, is FAR more difficult than it should be.
    Isn’t difficult at all. Guy I was working with at my last company had a felony. He didn’t think he could vote. I assured him he could. He came in one day and said he called and registered to vote, that was it. Done. Went on Election Day and pulled the lever for Hillary. I would say I regretted informing him he could vote, but even those i disagree with deserve to be heard, unless they don’t work. It’s TAXATION without representation. If you don’t work you aren’t being taxed per say. You are, but you’re paying with other people’s money. It’s a little different

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    Voting is automatically restored after end of all court encumbrances in IN. Other states disenfranchise felons permanently, and I think still there you have to ask they be restored(not sure n this one, but the first two I am).

I thought it was 5 years, or is only SOME Felonies ?????

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    We are a Constitutional Republic, not a democracy...thank Odin.

If you have committed offenses against society and are incarcerated as a result...you should not be released back into society until you can be trusted with ALL constitutional rights. Can't be trusted to carry a gun? Can't be trusted on the streets. Stay in Jail, do not pass go.

I'm a firm believer in the three strikes and it's a one way trip through the felon zapper. You can't be released into polite society and be expected to behave and we don't want to feed you.

Last edited:

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Isn’t difficult at all. Guy I was working with at my last company had a felony. He didn’t think he could vote. I assured him he could. He came in one day and said he called and registered to vote, that was it. Done. Went on Election Day and pulled the lever for Hillary. I would say I regretted informing him he could vote, but even those i disagree with deserve to be heard, unless they don’t work. It’s TAXATION without representation. If you don’t work you aren’t being taxed per say. You are, but you’re paying with other people’s money. It’s a little different
    Kut is speaking in general, Indiana doesn’t advertise that former felons can vote, other states forbid former felons to vote. A fair number of former felons do not know that they are able to vote, and I applaud you for helping a fellow citizen do their duty, no matter the outcome.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    I thought it was 5 years, or is only SOME Felonies ?????
    In Indiana, after incarceration, and I BELIEVE, probation, and parole are finished, you automatically regain the right to vote. It may be after incarceration is complete, your right to vote is automatically restored. BUT, this thread is about guns and the ability to own, buy and possess. So we should keep it to that. Yes felons have other rights abridged, to answer the original question, but THIS one is what we are talking about.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    The law was changed a while back so Indiana felony expungements return gun rights under USC 18 Sec 922. I can't remember the specifics.

Hopefully the old preacher who got busted in 65 with two joints got his felony expunged.
    Yes, but they still said that ISP, and ATF, would deny LTCH and 4473’s if the expungements didn’t specifically state restoration of 2nd Amendment rights?

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    I think the big thing here is state vs federal just remember even if Indiana says you can, it doesn’t me the gubment says you can!

ie Colorado says weed is legal, us gubment says “no it ain’t”

back when I worked at a gun shop, I had people with Indiana carry licenses, get denied by nics to buy guns! (On more than 1 occasion!)

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Does a convicted felon licensed to practice plumbing, medicine or law, for example, in Indiana, have his/ her license restored?

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Does a convicted felon licensed to practice plumbing, medicine or law, for example, in Indiana, have his/ her license restored?

Would think it would depend on the nature of the felony and whether the licensing body also sanctioned the license holder? Not sure it is a good comparison to compare a Professional license and being licensed by the govt to exercise a right or privilege (depending on which it is).

Top Bottom