How Often Do You Oil Your Home Protection Guns & Do You Keep Them Fully Loaded?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TommyGlock

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2019
    Down South
    So I currently have 1 gun that is strictly for home protection use so I don't take it to the range, etc... The last time I oiled it was like 2 years ago and it has been sitting in the factory box ever since. I haven't even fired it since I purchased it. It's a Smith & Weston SD40 VE I purchased brand new in 2013 (I think).

How often do you oil guns that you DON"T use frequently (In my case at all)?

Also, is it a bad idea to leave bullets in the clip for such an extended period? Since it's for home protection use I keep it fully loaded but I've read mixed suggestions from different users about keeping the spring in the clip compressed for so long that it might cause feeding issues so I don't know if this is a wives tale or if it has any real merit?

I think I have a round of Zombie Max that's been in the clip since 2013. Any suggestions is much appreciated.

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    How often you oil is preference. I usually drag all my guns out of the safe and oil them every 4 to 6 months. Sometimes sooner. They probably don’t need it, but I enjoy cleaning them and would rather them be well maintained and have peace of mind than to wonder and worry about it.

As for the mags, I leave all my mags loaded and ready to go. The spring gets wore out by compressing and decompressing, not staying in a fixed state whether that be empty or loaded. Keep them loaded or keep them unloaded, cycling them is what wears them out. Honestly tho don’t worry about it, mag springs are fairly cheap, as are new mags. Just replace a couple mags a year or 2, take the ones you replace and put them in a “range box” to take shooting with you. Run a few rotations through the new mags to make sure there’s no issues and use the old mags for range time.

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    Also, everyone has their own way of doing things. You can get 10 different answers and none are wrong per-say. Personal preference. Now if you wanna have some fun in personal preference land, just ask if the s&w is better than a glock or 1911. Sit back and watch the show.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Depends on the lube you use. Some brands dry up with time. Some are better.
    It is always a good idea to get them out and wipe them down with an oily rag.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Over the years I've found that old guns require more attention regardless of finish.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    I think you need to take the gun out and actually fire it and use it. You said you haven't fired it in 5 years. All my firearms that are used for self defense or home defense see a regular usage at the range and then are cleaned and ready for the next trip or should the need arise, self defense

BJones

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Noblesville/Westfld
    I clean my house gun at least every 6 months, right after I take it to the range to practice with it. I want to make sure it still functions properly and that I still shoot it well.:twocents:

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    So I currently have 1 gun that is strictly for home protection use so I don't take it to the range, etc...I haven't even fired it since I purchased it.
    ...Any suggestions is much appreciated.

Having a gun for self protection that you haven't fired enough to know that it performs well with your ammo is a bad idea. Having a gun for self protection that you haven't fired enough to know that you are proficient with it is a bad idea.

Take it out and shoot it...A LOT and frequently, clean and oil after and you won't have to be concerned about when it needs oiled.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I think you need to take the gun out and actually fire it and use it. You said you haven't fired it in 5 years. All my firearms that are used for self defense or home defense see a regular usage at the range and then are cleaned and ready for the next trip or should the need arise, self defense

This.

You have a gun for home defense that you've never even fired? :n00b: How do you even know it's reliable? Do you know how to load, manipulate the gun and controls with your eyes closed? How about clearing malfunctions?

Also, you keep it in the factory box? How is that going to help when you need to access it quickly?

Get some training, get to the range, practice dry firing, etc. If you use the gun regularly, you will develop a cleaning and maintenance schedule so you'll know how it runs best, when to oil it, etc.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Also, is it a bad idea to leave bullets in the [STRIKE]clip[/STRIKE] magazine for such an extended period? Since it's for home protection use I keep it fully loaded but I've read mixed suggestions from different users about keeping the spring in the [STRIKE]clip[/STRIKE] magazine compressed for so long that it might cause feeding issues so I don't know if this is a wives tale or if it has any real merit?

I wouldn't worry about the magazine springs weakening from leaving them loaded. Using the mags is what makes the springs lose their strength. But it's a LOT of use. I'm talking thousands of rounds put through a magazine.

I'll also echo what others have said about using/training with the gun. You're not going to wear it out. Most modern pistols can go tens of thousands of rounds with only lube a recoil spring change once in a while. So a few hundred rounds a few times a year and that pistol will last a long time. If you do wear it out, that means you really know how to use it. Then you spend a little more money and get another one. The price of a gun is extremely low compared to what you're using it to protect, your life and the lives of those you love.

Also, Welcome to INGO. Don't feel like we're beating up on you. We're just trying to help. Some of us in this very thread asked questions just like you when we first joined. But stick around and ask as many questions as you want. You'll probably get a few sarcastic remarks but don't worry about those. There is a vast quantity of good knowledge on this forum. But we like to have some fun also.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I used to clean the house guns every few months. I changed oils and lubes a couple of years ago and now I'm down to once a year on the "accessible" home defense guns. I will wipe my home defense guns down with a RigRag after I handle them. I no longer have any deterioration of finishes on my guns.
    I never had any problems with magazine springs until I started replacing them. Now I'm back to "it ain't broke so don't fix it mentality". No more problems. Reading someone else's internet squabble or idiosyncrasies usually just costs me money and leaves me with headaches.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I wouldn't worry about the magazine springs weakening from leaving them loaded. Using the mags is what makes the springs lose their strength. But it's a LOT of use. I'm talking thousands of rounds put through a magazine.

I'll also echo what others have said about using/training with the gun. You're not going to wear it out. Most modern pistols can go tens of thousands of rounds with only lube a recoil spring change once in a while. So a few hundred rounds a few times a year and that pistol will last a long time. If you do wear it out, that means you really know how to use it. Then you spend a little more money and get another one. The price of a gun is extremely low compared to what you're using it to protect, your life and the lives of those you love.

Also, Welcome to INGO. Don't feel like we're beating up on you. We're just trying to help. Some of us in this very thread asked questions just like you when we first joined. But stick around and ask as many questions as you want. You'll probably get a few sarcastic remarks but don't worry about those. There is a vast quantity of good knowledge on this forum. But we like to have some fun also.

But don't worry. Sarcastic remarks will always be in purple so they're easily recognized. I think it's in the rules or something. ;)

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    All good advice here. I remember how many old guns I've seen with handling marks. Also, touching bare metal before you paint it comes to mind. The salt on your hands will bring out surface rust you won't see until a couple days later, probably after the paint is applied. A light coat of oil is always a good idea. I have some pieces I only handle with white inspection gloves for this very reason.

I echo the advice about practicing with your HD.

seldon14

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    Oil? Rarely.
    Loaded: Always (if meant for protection)
    In factory box? Never.

If you are not shooting a duplicate of that gun to stay proficient, you should be hitting the range with it at least a few times a year. You should also probably fire a good 500 or so rounds before you trust it to save your life, or at least 50 to make sure it even works.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I clean and lubricate my EDC every month sometimes a few weeks. I saw timber and it gets fine saw dust in it often. My EDC is also my nightstand weapon.

Last edited:

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    I find it odd when people worry about wearing a gun out. If you shoot it regularly you’re going to spend way way more on ammo than the gun costs. The gun is the cheapest part of shooting if you shoot often.

Shoot it. It’s like buying a car and putting it in the garage. What fun is that?!?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    So I currently have 1 gun that is strictly for home protection use so I don't take it to the range, etc... The last time I oiled it was like 2 years ago and it has been sitting in the factory box ever since. I haven't even fired it since I purchased it. It's a Smith & Weston SD40 VE I purchased brand new in 2013 (I think).

How often do you oil guns that you DON"T use frequently (In my case at all)?

Also, is it a bad idea to leave bullets in the clip for such an extended period? Since it's for home protection use I keep it fully loaded but I've read mixed suggestions from different users about keeping the spring in the clip compressed for so long that it might cause feeding issues so I don't know if this is a wives tale or if it has any real merit?

I think I have a round of Zombie Max that's been in the clip since 2013. Any suggestions is much appreciated.

OK now I re-read and you have not fired it. Shame on you. It is not a talisman. It needs to be fired.....by you. Practice with it man. Buy some ammo. Go to the range and use the thing. Or just sell it to someone that will.

I may sound like I am busting chops here and I may be. If you choose to own a gun it has to be something you are familiar with and comfortable in its use. If and when (God forbid) you may actually have to use it. You stated home defense. That's the reason for this rant.

USE IT>

HKUSP

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Danville, IN
    One product I like for storage is Remington Dri-Lube. It's a Teflon based spray that clings to the metal and will be there when you need it. I like to get stored guns out every few months and spray them with Birchwood-Casey Barricade and wipe them down. The gun safe also contains every dessicant pack I get from packages. I've had no issues with rust since beginning that regimen.

Carry guns get wiped down and reoiled after they exhibit the collecting of lint. I use Lucas gun oil on them.

Home protection guns usually overlap into the carry gun category with me. They get the addition of a flashlight or weapon light as a companion when their purpose changes.

Don't worry about the springs in magazines being left under compression. As others have stated above it's cycles not compression.

Chris

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    All of my defensive firearms get cleaned and oiled after they are shot at the range. Everything gets shot often enough that it doesn't go more than a couple months without cleaning.

OP, you need to actually shoot your home defense firearm. Buying a brand new gun and leaving it in the box or nightstand or whatever is no bueno, especially when you're talking about an...affordable product line. Not that the gun is bad, but you do need to be shooting it regularly to confirm functionality and you do need to be shooting some of your defensive ammo through it to make sure it cycles. The gun could have some kind of defect from the factory or other parts failure and you'd never know until you picked it up to defend yourself.

Top Bottom