• ...and so much more!
  • Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    Just got back from shooting and I thought I would share what happened. In another bay at our private range a young man brought out his Christmas Present to deflower it. It was a 270 Remington CDL brand new in the box. Not having any sights or scope on it, he just wanted to shoot it as to function test.? He had trouble putting the Bolt in as they come shipped out of the receiver. He asked for help (not everyone does but should). So, the first thing I did after permission was to hold rifle up to the light. That’s when I saw the styrofoam crammed inside the barrel from storage and shipping. It took a cleaning rod to clear out the shifted pieces. Then when clear, I checked the Bolt for matching serial number and installed. He then loaded and shot his new gun. He’s been to a few training modules but never heard of checking the bore before firing. I have also seen many take a new boxed pistol and not check it before shooting it. Please check your bores.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    TBH I would not pull a rifle out of the box and expect a bunch of styrofoam to be packed down the bore.

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    TBH I would not pull a rifle out of the box and expect a bunch of styrofoam to be packed down the bore.

I wouldn't expect this either. You put such protective pieces in places where you think there is possible damage during storage/shipment- things that might be scratched/rubbed/etc. What would they expect to get inside the barrel while it is in the box?

That said, I always do an initial cleaning/lube/inspection before firing, but that would have really surprised me. I've never seen a new gun with anything in the barrel. I wonder how many people Remington has caused to fire with a barrel obstruction that way?

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    I wouldn't expect this either. You put such protective pieces in places where you think there is possible damage during storage/shipment- things that might be scratched/rubbed/etc. What would they expect to get inside the barrel while it is in the box?

That said, I always do an initial cleaning/lube/inspection before firing, but that would have really surprised me. I've never seen a new gun with anything in the barrel. I wonder how many people Remington has caused to fire with a barrel obstruction that way?

we could tell that the muzzle kept vibrating agin and away from the end piece covering the business end. I believe a supporter piece of cardboard was not in place causing the rifle to shift back and forth eating material in shipping and handling, however I have witnessed sabatoging from disgruntled employees. Also I have seen misbuilt barrels And wrong caliber barrels in what was thought to be a new gun. Remember, the odds of getting a pristine gun as packaged from the factory is risky. These things go through many handlers some times and I trust it to myself only to check.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I can't say that the urge to shoot a new gun was ever so strong that I didn't at least skim through the manual and give it a good clean & lube before taking it to a range

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Most quality firearms are shipped with some sort of anti-corrosion lubricate on them, and it's generally not the best idea to shoot it until you punch a patch down the bore. You can do it, it won't explode, but that may not be great for the long term accuracy of the rifle.

I ALWAYS punch the bore of any firearm before I take it to the range. Hell, I've seen some guns come from the factory with metal shavings in the bore.
    While it's common for some youtube folks to shoot guns straight out of the box, they're reviewers and testing the guns. You should never do this and you should always put a patch down the bore before shooting it, especially if you value the accuracy of the barrel.

There's also usually this little piece of paper called a manual that you should always be humble enough to sit down and read through, to know what the manufacturer personally recommends. I'm going to tell you right now, most will recommend cleaning the bore before shooting it.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    First practice for any new to you firearm is to make sure there is a hole all the way through the barrel. No light, no shoot.

Anything could be in there, including the test round. Or any other "testing" that could have been done to the gun, whether sold as new or not.

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    I can't say that the urge to shoot a new gun was ever so strong that I didn't at least skim through the manual and give it a good clean & lube before taking it to a range

:yesway: The one time I picked up a new pistol from a shop with a range and intended to fire it immediately, I looked up the manual online to be sure I knew how to field strip it, took a rod, patches and lube with me and quickly patched the barrel, looked for obvious problems and added a few drops of lube before entering the range. The shop employees had no problem with this and even supplied a gun mat for me to work on.

Some people think and some don't.

Chance

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    Berne
    I never fire a new or used gun without a thorough check and lube by me. I once found a hairline void that ran perpendicular to the rifling in a brand new Ruger LC9, out of the box. Immediately went back and returned with a replacement barrel. When hopding a contained explosion in your hands, can't be too careful.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I inspect the bore bolt etc etc before I leave the FFL/LGS. I have in past gotten one that looked like the rifling machine was doing the jitter bug. It was a mess. I had the FFL return it.

AlVine

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2014
    Owen Co.
    That is unsafe. New guns should always be cleaned before firing. Oil or grease meant for rust protection could also cause problems if there was a lot in the bore.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    First practice for any new to you firearm is to make sure there is a hole all the way through the barrel. No light, no shoot.

Anything could be in there, including the test round. Or any other "testing" that could have been done to the gun, whether sold as new or not.

I have found a squib in the barrel on a gun before.

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    Got a brand spanking new P938 for Christmas. Definitely going to clean it before the range. Has that rust preventing oil on it. Definitely a good idea to give a new/used gun and manual a good once over. :twocents:

peterock

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 95.8%
    23   1   0
    Jun 24, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Naw, I like to load up some hot cartridges and send ‘em out with no sights. How else can you really trust it? (Purp)

next you guys are going to tell me you don’t “desk pop” when you get a new pistol...

therewolf

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2013
    United States
    Not just new, while there have been glop issues in the barrel and chamber new.

I go hunting a lot, all year round, for predators, wild dogs, feral cats, coyote and the like. A couple times, over the years, the barrel has been
    blocked, when I checked it. I now clear the bolt, and check the bore, once or twice a week, on my hunting rifle.

Top Bottom