• ...and so much more!
  • Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    I just got an email from a competitor that I shot with a few weeks back. He noticed that he saw me and several others reholster easily with one hand without looking. So he asked about my equipment. Equipment is very important but practice practice practice with your equipment is more important. Garment manipulation aside if you can not reholster with one hand cleanly, swiftly and some of us prefer quietly, then get help. Sweeping your self or putting your shirt in the holster with the gun should not be a thing.

https://www.usacarry.com/re-holstering/

flatlander

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Noblesville
    I take my time. The shooting part of whatever the "event" is, is over so why not? I'm not a gamer so I am usually wear a cover garment of some kind. I want to make sure I don't have any more holes in me than I was born with or endanger anybody else by a momentary brain fart, which we ALL have. Nobody is perfect no matter the level of training.

Bob

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    TJ, define swiftly if you don't mind.

I personally don't see the value in re-holstering at lightning speed like I see some competitors doing. After a stage, they go through the "show clear, hammer down, re-holster in record times. Hasn't the timer stopped by then?

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    My holster is tight and it takes a good tug to pull it out. I need that extra retention so it doesn't fall out because of the type of work I do has be bending, twisting, turning, laying, rolling etc etc about all day. That said I still can holster my pistol with one hand unless I'm wearing many layers of clothing which is normally the case in cold weather. I carry IWB.

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    TJ, define swiftly if you don't mind.

I personally don't see the value in re-holstering at lightning speed like I see some competitors doing. After a stage, they go through the "show clear, hammer down, re-holster in record times. Hasn't the timer stopped by then?

swiftly as in fluid movement not speed. For instance I see jabbers all the time. Jabbers are those that try to hit their holsters with the muzzle in and out several times until they eventually get the muzzle down the shoot. This happens more with rigid Kydex where the muzzle channel is narrow and the gun won't seat with a fluid movement. It can happen with leather as well but less frequently. Hope this helps.

flatlander

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Noblesville
    swiftly as in fluid movement not speed. For instance I see jabbers all the time. Jabbers are those that try to hit their holsters with the muzzle in and out several times until they eventually get the muzzle down the shoot. This happens more with rigid Kydex where the muzzle channel is narrow and the gun won't seat with a fluid movement. It can happen with leather as well but less frequently. Hope this helps.

I have found that Kydex with the right technique is easier for reholstering then leather. Just my opinion. But it does take practice.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    As a police officer, being able to holster without looking is a useful skill.
    I disagree, if you are reholstering, the threat is over, and a quick look to assure a clear holster is very much okay. I guess I haven’t gamed all of the myriad of reasons, so , will adjust my thinking to there is very little reason to have to reholster without a look. There is no reason for a no look speed reholster.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    We are taught to keep eyes up as much as possible and that includes during reholstering. It also includes during reloading, moving, using the radio, communicating, etc.... When my gun comes out it is not always presented to the (potential) target so maybe I need to keep an eye on that person, but don’t need my gun out anymore. I can remove or replace anything on my belt without looking and that feels very comfortable to me. My belt never requires my eyes, but my threat does. I do not wish to trade one for another.

slipnotz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 31, 2010
    In cowboy action we use double rigs due to using 2 revolvers. I don't look when reholstering due to transitioning to other guns and moving. As said before it takes a lot of practice. We also reholster a revolver that doesn't have a live round left.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    We are taught to keep eyes up as much as possible and that includes during reholstering. It also includes during reloading, moving, using the radio, communicating, etc.... When my gun comes out it is not always presented to the (potential) target so maybe I need to keep an eye on that person, but don’t need my gun out anymore. I can remove or replace anything on my belt without looking and that feels very comfortable to me. My belt never requires my eyes, but my threat does. I do not wish to trade one for another.

Can't you just call time out? I'm sure the bad guy would be more than happy to help you out.

Top Bottom