• ...and so much more!
  • Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    Went to a match the other day with a few buddies and I should have taken some photos of their gearbags. I carry a small 6X9 bag since as I wear most my handguns that I shoot except for my Thompson Center Contender. I keep ammo, some muffs, stapler and magazines with a small tube of BreakFree is about all. So when my buddies went to load up the car, I though they were going on vacation for 3 weeks. Bags that held belts, holsters, magazine reloaders, handwarmers, squib rods, batteries, watter jugs, mosquito dope, sunscreen, ham sandwiches, cleaning kits, Ray Ban sunglasses along with Hickory Gold, grip powder, extra fiber optic rods, magazines and such. That's not including the wagons, umbrellas and paster guns. And that wasn't even the ammo bag. So how many and how big is your bag?

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    4 gun Glock bag heavy with ammo going in. Usually a Glock, 1911, CZ, plugs, eyes. Muffs around neck going in. Basic tools, marker.

crewchief888

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2016
    NWI
    all depends on what match i'm shooting..
    USPSA everything, except belt/holster, fits in one bag. ear pro, ammo, go pro, and spare mags
    I use a medium size Midway USA bag

steel challenge,& rimfire challenge shooting 2 guns, I have a 2nd bag for mags and ammo.
    2nd bag is an old bagmaster ive had for at least 25 years

once I get to a match, and have mags loaded, mags are in a mag tote, RF rifle(s) and pistol(s) are bagged,

range bag, mag tote, bagged guns, and cooler all fit on my range cart.

:cheers:

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I have a medium range bag, more than enough room.
    My dad has a big range bag, weighs a ton. Has all sorts of tools n crap in it.
    Which has saved the day for some others at the club.

I say let em suffer.
    Their see through rings come loose.............goody.

Am looking for a hunting bag. Shoulder. Can't do backpacks.
    Jack Pyke dog bag too big.

Hell I might even go for the old suede TC possibles bag if I come across one.

sugarcreekbrass

Expert
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 29, 2015
    West central
    I don't shoot matches like you are asking about, but I laughed at your comment about the buddy. I travel and compete in ASA national archery tournaments. Some guys only carry what will fit in a hip quiver. I have a backpack stool that is completely loaded. I have tools, spare parts, snacks, water, etc. The joke is that some guys carry everything but the kitchen sink. Major breakdown tools are left in the vehicle. My point is that I have traveled 5-12+ hours and spent a lot in travel costs, so I want to ready for anything. I don't want a simple problem to ruin a tournament.

Haven

Network Warlord
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 6, 2016
    Camby Area
    I have two bags and use them for different things. If I am going to a local indoor range it is the Tactical Attaché. I can put the ammo, hearing protection, etc in it. I only plan to be there for a half hour to an hour, and it is standing in a bay shooting stationary targets.

If I am going to my regular range, Proteq, it is an hour drive to get there and you have to bring what you need with you. There isn’t a place close by to buy anything. Then I use my Case Club Backpack. If I am heading to Proteq I am going to be there for at least two hours, more likely 3 to 4 hours. Then I might be testing out a bunch of stuff, working on a bunch of different skills, etc. The trip out is going to be a load out due to how long to get there, how long I plan to be there and what I plan to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have 2 range gear bags. One is fairly large the other is pretty standard. Depends on what my day will entail.
    The large bag has a bit of everything. Basic tools. Lube's and sauces. Towels. Targets and ways to hang/attach. Eyes/ears. Chamber flags and so on. Loaded out it is cumbersome.
    The smaller one is for quick trips.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    One bag to rule them all. It can easily handle 4 pistols, metric ton of magazines, lunch, tools, and ammo.

20191202130411.jpg

Tuff makes the best soft goods I've found and they are great people. Geoff10 at the end makes it cheaper too.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Medium, 43L.

I use the 5.11 Range Ready: https://www.511tactical.com/range-ready-bag.html

But I do see the trend that you report, Jim. People show up looking like they are moving in to the range. Lol. :D

Sometimes I do use a mechanic's bag or gas mask bag for magazines or ammo. Always have more gear for long guns, ammo, spotting scope, 24 ounce framing hammer for Kirk's gunsmithing, inter alia.

Last edited:

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    I use my old issued duty bag I believe the quartermaster bought from Eagle or Tactical Tailor. I think the closest existing would be the LAPG duty bag. It holds enough crap but I won't compete until I get my new ball and socket from Dr. Brian Badman.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    I use my old issued duty bag I believe the quartermaster bought from Eagle or Tactical Tailor. I think the closest existing would be the LAPG duty bag. It holds enough crap but I won't compete until I get my new ball and socket from Dr. Brian Badman.
    How do you like Badman? He’s treating me for a partial thickness tear in the rotator cuff, trying to stave off surgery, but I’ve geard some others say he’s a bad surgeon?

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    I use a storage tote hat has wheels and a handle on it when I go to the range. However... I keep ALL my shooting gear in said tote all the time except for ammo, guns and soft side cases of course. Why the tote and not a bag or bags? Got tired of having my range equipment in 2-3 different bags and always having to search for things. This way my range gear is always in the tote, just grab and go. Just my :twocents:

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    With rifle or long range handgun, I'm usually prepared for the rare occasion. As I venture into Steel Challenge, I have had my butt saved several times by guys who were better prepared than I. And I am glad they were there!

Top Bottom