Would you buy a Ruger Mark series in a Centerfire cartridge?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SPOOK331945

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2018
    Southern IN
    Would you buy a Ruger Mark (mark IV now) series pistol in a centerfire cartridge, such as a 9mm, .45 acp or .40 s&w?

Yes, the overall design and tooling would have to be changed and so forth, but keep the profile of the Mark series, the look of a Luger or Nambu.

Personally I've grown bored of the new pistol market.. Everyone has a new and improved polymer framed carry handgun bla bla bla.
    Seems like its nothing more than a p#$%ing match between manufactures of who can hold the most rounds in the smallest gun possible.

Now this is all 100% my 2 cents. Just would like to see something different for once..

I'd buy one in a heartbeat and I think it would be a hit, not to mention probably a fine shooter too.

Just curious about everyone's thought on this

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Nope. And I can think of no possible (good) reason, with all the good choices available already, why Ruger would put in the R&D and invest in the production and product placement for a new CF pistol like that.

The grip angle is bad enough with .22. There's good reason why the Nambu and Luger-type frames are just about gone.

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    A 9mm Mk series would almost be a Luger.

I’d probably buy one though. I prefer the grip that the MK series has. It would be a great target pistol, not a great carry pistol.

kaveman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Sep 13, 2014
    La Porte
    Almost impossible to do in those calibers. It would require a locked breech and probably some sort of movement of both the barrel and receiver unless working out a gas system of sorts. But I'd buy one in .32ACP as a pure blowback(which has been done before as custom conversion).

SPOOK331945

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2018
    Southern IN
    A 9mm Mk series would almost be a Luger.

I’d probably buy one though. I prefer the grip that the MK series has. It would be a great target pistol, not a great carry pistol.

Definitely wouldn't be a good one for carry, it'd be primarily a plinker market. I would enjoy it, already own plenty of carry handguns don't really need another one of those lol

SPOOK331945

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2018
    Southern IN
    Almost impossible to do in those calibers. It would require a locked breech and probably some sort of movement of both the barrel and receiver unless working out a gas system of sorts. But I'd buy one in .32ACP as a pure blowback(which has been done before as custom conversion).

As I had stated before hand, design changes would be necessary, definitely would not be a "plug and play." but impossible? No.

.32 would be fun, possibly 380.

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis

The Luger worked with a fixed barrel. Ruger would need to devise a locking system for it though.

kaveman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Sep 13, 2014
    La Porte
    Actually the Luger barrel and extension recoil until the ears on the toggle ride up the frame ramp and unlock. For anything much larger than .32(or possibly .380)best you could hope for is a complete redesign that throws a similar shadow. It wouldn't really be an Mk.

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    Would you buy a Ruger Mark (mark IV now) series pistol in a centerfire cartridge, such as a 9mm, .45 acp or .40 s&w?

Yes, the overall design and tooling would have to be changed and so forth, but keep the profile of the Mark series, the look of a Luger or Nambu.

Personally I've grown bored of the new pistol market.. Everyone has a new and improved polymer framed carry handgun bla bla bla.
    Seems like its nothing more than a p#$%ing match between manufactures of who can hold the most rounds in the smallest gun possible.

Now this is all 100% my 2 cents. Just would like to see something different for once..

I'd buy one in a heartbeat and I think it would be a hit, not to mention probably a fine shooter too.

Just curious about everyone's thought on this

I like a lot of Ruger Pistols but the Mark series isn’t one of them. Don’t get me wrong, I have owned and raced many 22/45’s. They work and are accurate enough. But I cannot get over the German Luger influence on this pistol. I live in America and prefer American gun designers. However, this pistol is too German influenced for me. Just me but I won’t own anything that looks like any of the guns that tried to kill my grandparents.

SPOOK331945

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2018
    Southern IN
    Boy you guys are a tough crowd..

No it necessarily wouldn't be a Mark series anymore do to design changes needed, its more about the concept I suppose.

Trapper Jim I cant say I understand where you're coming from, because none of my direct family members were involved in WWII, WWI yes but that's a different topic. I don't blame you...

I prefer American ingenuity overall all myself. I just have a fascination with oddball looking firearms, no matter the origin. I see them for what they're mechanically and what it would take to make them. Maybe the Toolmaker/Engineer in me?

General firearms market these days seem very dull to me, everything looks the same. Plastic frame, black slide. It would be something new and a change of pace for a bit.

kaveman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Sep 13, 2014
    La Porte
    Don't take my comments wrong,....I do like the concept. My very first pistol was a Ruger MkII and I still have it after more than a thousand other guns come and gone. And way back before the internet, back in the clay tablet days, we thought about this exact same subject. When rumors were being kicked around 35yrs ago that Ruger was planning to announce their first centerfire pistol this is what we were expecting,......and I still wish it had come to be. Can't say I've given a single thought to anything they've ever built in the line. .22's,....sure. Rifles,......yes, many. Even revolvers and shotguns, but I don't believe I've so much as handled a Ruger CF pistol.

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    Boy you guys are a tough crowd..

No it necessarily wouldn't be a Mark series anymore do to design changes needed, its more about the concept I suppose.

Trapper Jim I cant say I understand where you're coming from, because none of my direct family members were involved in WWII, WWI yes but that's a different topic. I don't blame you...

I prefer American ingenuity overall all myself. I just have a fascination with oddball looking firearms, no matter the origin. I see them for what they're mechanically and what it would take to make them. Maybe the Toolmaker/Engineer in me?

General firearms market these days seem very dull to me, everything looks the same. Plastic frame, black slide. It would be something new and a change of pace for a bit.

you’re right but I’m down on the world and up on America. I’m old, less forgiving than I used to be, opinionated,
    and not very politically correct. Other than that I’m a pretty nice guy:rolleyes:.

you can really get Radical with The Ruger. Lots of accessories available if you wanna trick it.

on another note and possibly a new thread, if I were an engineer and 39 years younger I would design a simple, small footprint, real precision linear progressive reloading machine. It’s a shame that in this day and age Dillon is the best we got. It would be a short throw and direct drive on mechanics. It would not sound like an Allis Chalmers Combine when you worked it. There would be three versions, handgun, rifle and Shotgun. It could sell for $1000 and be far easier to automate. For the advances we have made in everything else we are accepting old technology on hand loading equipment. Just my opinion and maybe this can be your ticket to fame.

good shooting and Happy New Year.

Top Bottom