• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • diver dan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    DeMotte
    I would like to know if anybody has a smith victory .22 that is bare bones stock , how accurate it is ? ALSO same question about the RUGER MARK4 in any factory configuration.Want to pick up one of these but want to shoot it stock , wanting to see how you guys feel about these pistols.I can count on you guys to give honest feedback.:yesway:

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I’ve the Victory and 2 MkIVs, for me the Rugers are more accurate. We aren’t taking huge differences and it really came down to how they fit me, the balance they have and I liked the factory Ruger trigger more. That said, neither has a factory trigger that I’d call great and the Rugers have more options on that front if you change your mind down the road.

For pure mechanical accuracy, I think the Rugers have an edge in accuracy due to how the barrels are attached compared to the same in the Victory.

seldon14

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    Ruger MK series is better than the Victory in every way, other than disassembly, but if you are looking at a newer one, the Ruger comes out on top there as well.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2014
    Columbus
    I have a Mark IV Hunter and love it. I'm waiting on a volquartsen accurizing kit to show up from optics planet. I haven't shot a victory but I do own a walther p22 target and an old supermatic citation. I've looked at the Smith several times too but agree they aren't that great looking. I might add a Smith to my collection one day, but I'd own a buck mark before the victory

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    I think the Victory is just a poor copy of the old Colt .22 (formerly called the Cadet with copyright infringement). The Ruger is a far better design. I don't own either (but do own the Colt) but if I was going to buy something else in a .22 pistol it would be the Ruger. (also, it does look waaay better)

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Oh good...it's not just me.:)

Oh no not at all. Absolutely no knock towards anyone that has the Victory intended but man that is just not a good looking pistol. I have no idea how they run. We have a couple of Mk IV's and a 22/45 Lite that CKW has taken over.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Ruger MK series is better than the Victory in every way, other than disassembly, but if you are looking at a newer one, the Ruger comes out on top there as well.

I have had a different experience. I have had 3 Victories and 2 Mark IV's. The Victories have all been more trouble free with more types of ammo and just as accurate as my Mark IV's. I love both styles of gun, but I like my Victories better than my Mark IV's. Slightly harder to assemble/disassemble, but a better gun IMO and less money normally than the Mark IV series.

JHB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2016
    Columbus
    I have had a different experience. I have had 3 Victories and 2 Mark IV's. The Victories have all been more trouble free with more types of ammo and just as accurate as my Mark IV's. I love both styles of gun, but I like my Victories better than my Mark IV's. Slightly harder to assemble/disassemble, but a better gun IMO and less money normally than the Mark IV series.

I have to agree. The Victory trigger right out of the box is better with mods both guns are equal. The Ruger take down is easier and the cost is higher. The main thing is the Victory works every time I can't say that abut the Ruger.

wagyu52

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    South of cob corner
    Yup, save your money and buy the victory. It’s more accurate than I am, goes bang every time and disassembles easy enough.
    If you want to spend more money on a .22 pistol invest in a S&W 41.

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    I'm not sure if people care about the opinion of 22Plinkster, but his favorite pistol is his custom Victory, and this is a guy who owns or has access to most every type of .22 pistol.

https://youtu.be/iyS8OWNPZzs

The victory would be my choice as well.

Last edited:

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis

What ammo have you had issues with in your Rugers?

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    What ammo have you had issues with in your Rugers?

I to am curious. Never ever had an issue with a properly serviced Ruger.

Both Mark IV's have had issue with Federal AutoMatch, as well as CCI SV. The Mark IV Competition might be due to magazine, not ammo, but I'm still testing. What I get from them is the occasional time when the next round is not picked up from the mag and loaded into the gun. Very strange. My 22/45 Tactical is occasionally having the issue, while the Competition was doing it pretty much every magazine. I have new mags and have been testing and so far it's only happened once out of the new mags. Never had an issue with any of my Victories, that I couldn't trace back and say was ammo related (not going off after good strike). I can run Federal AutoMatch or Federal Black Pack cheap as heck .22 out of the Victory with no issues at all. Plus I've been able to run 1k rounds through at a time between cleanings with no issues.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Both Mark IV's have had issue with Federal AutoMatch, as well as CCI SV. The Mark IV Champion might be due to magazine, not ammo, but I'm still testing. What I get from them is the occasional time when the next round is not picked up from the mag and loaded into the gun. Very strange. My 22/45 Tactical is occasionally having the issue, while the Champion was doing it pretty much every magazine. I have new mags and have been testing and so far it's only happened once out of the new mags. Never had an issue with any of my Victories, that I couldn't trace back and say was ammo related (not going off after good strike). I can run Federal AutoMatch or Federal Black Pack cheap as heck .22 out of the Victory with no issues at all. Plus I've been able to run 1k rounds through at a time between cleanings with no issues.

OK we had mag related issues as the 22/45 lite came with several after market mags and they seriously sucked. I thought ammo at 1st but same same across the spectrum. I stepped up to some Ruger mags and off to the races. Some patience and diligent attention to the feed lips on the crap mags seemed o put them back into the rotation.

Top Bottom