• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Methane Herder

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Pitchfork Union
    Been though that at the 1500 about 10 years ago. About 30' behind me a prospective customer wanting to trade some form of 45 auto apparently handed the pistol to the person behind the table with one in the chamber. BOOM............ absolute silence. The person walking 5' in front of me grabbed his ear as it immediately began to bleed (I'm guessing a piece of jacketing sliced it).

Sigh.

MH

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Another incident occurred at the 1500 about 5 years ago when a vendor wanted to show a customer his Glock .40 and aimed it at the floor and pulled the trigger to then remove the slide when it fired (there was still a bullet in the chamber even though he had removed the slide...it's a Glock dude, it'll still fire without the magazine in it!) and the bullet his the concrete floor and ricocheted back up and hit his hand holding the gun, lacerating it pretty badly! It was amazing how quickly everyone hit the floor and how quiet it was for 5-7 seconds! Thankfully the only physical damage was to himself and no one else as a result of his actions!

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Luckily, at the 1500, you are BANNED FOR LIFE if you or anyone working at your tables has a NG.

Until the next idiot comes along!

I was at a Bill Goodman show in Dayton in the 90s, where a person checking in a shotgun at the door put a round through the ceiling. The accounts above are spot-on...the five seconds of silence are eerie.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Luckily, at the 1500, you are BANNED FOR LIFE if you or anyone working at your tables has a NG.

Should be charged with several crimes. Criminal recklessness and discharge of a firearm within city limits (if applicable to the venue), at a minimum.

There is no excuse for having live ammunition anywhere in or near firearms or magazines at a gun show, with the exception of personal carry weapons which you have no legitimate reason to remove from holsters or futz with.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Everyone who has shot themselves or others at guns will tell you that they were pointing it in a safe direction.

NRA Rule #3 addresses this and you know it. Always keep guns unloaded until ready to use. Cooper doesn’t even address actually having the gun loaded or not unless you count his fairytale Rule #1.

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    The police officer who used to check firearms at the door of the Evansville show shot himself TWICE (on different occasions) while checking firearms

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    NRA Rule #3 addresses this and you know it. Always keep guns unloaded until ready to use. Cooper doesn’t even address actually having the gun loaded or not unless you count his fairytale Rule #1.

Your rule 3 is bogus and is getting people shot.

The "safe direction" hogwash is allowing people to wave guns in all directions. No reason for anyone else to get hurt over this malpractice.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Your rule 3 is bogus and is getting people shot.

The "safe direction" hogwash is allowing people to wave guns in all directions. No reason for anyone else to get hurt over this malpractice.

What a joke... The simple fact most people say “I didn’t know it was loaded!” after a negligent discharge proves how bogus Cooper’s Rule #1 is.

Treat a gun like a gun all the time until it’s no longer a gun (as in disassembled to the point of being nonfunctional for cleaning, etc).

BluePig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 10, 2012
    Middlebury
    There was an AD at the Ft. Wayne show in the Coliseum in the big room many years ago.
    Happened right after we walked by the guy's table.
    He was pulling the pistol out of the briefcase and handed it to his buddy.
    It was a HK squeeze cocker.
    He had just done some trigger work to it and his buddy wanted to see what it was like.
    When it went off, it got very quiet in the whole room.
    My brother and I hit the dirt and were picking ourselves up and everyone looked over at the cop at the other end of the room.
    After about 5 minutes, he finally walked over and handcuffed the guy and took him away.
    About an hour later, they came and took the dealer away.
    He was very upset when he left.
    I have not seen him since then.
    I assume he went out of business.
    I did hear that the guy went to jail for discharging a firearm within the city limits.
    He was a big HK guy and always had good ammo as I remember.
    For many years, you could still see the hole in the roof.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Seems like a pretty easy solution to this: All firearms not holstered on your person must be zip-tied through the barrel or action, and all firearms coming in are confirmed unloaded and zip-tied at the door. If you don't like it, remain outside the door.

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    I was at the Stout Field show mid 90’s ol “Bob” from PSS put a 9mm hole in the Armory roof.
    You should have seen the look on his bearded face.
    I looked for my son, he was OK.
    Still a big boom at the Gun Show, gets every bodies attention.

Opie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Evansville
    I am a fan of zip ties at a gunshow. I trust myself, but I don't trust ANYONE else in that room...

"I didn't think it was loaded" does not undo shooting someone on accident.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    A couple of years ago some dip ***** was loading his on the way out, and torched one off into the wall, it bounded off and hit a kid in the leg, so now the rule (at the national guard armory in Evansville) is no loaded guns or magazines! At the show last weekend at least 1 vendor had his personal gun zip tied (in his holster in his hip)

Methane Herder

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Pitchfork Union
    I also remember another 1500 where the guy walking in behind me handed a loaded stainless S&W semiautomatic to the officer checking in firearms. The officer proceeded to go full R.Lee Ermey on him. It was Epic.

MH

Top Bottom