• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Karl-just-Karl

Retired
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2014
    NE
    I have been struggling for awhile with the question about what I can do to help make a change in our culture. That is, society at-large and the gun community itself.

I have seen here on INGO other people struggling with the same question. What I have decided to do is this; I am willing to forego my next gun purchase and instead donate that money to a local not-for-profit that supports gun rights and encourages shooting sports and firearms education in my local community. Not only that, I am here to encourage my fellow gun owners and firearms enthusiasts to do the same.

If you are looking at your collection and are pondering your next purchase. I am asking you as a fellow gun owner to delay that gratification and invest your money locally into an organization or cause that supports 2A freedoms and appreciation. I know that many of us support national-level organizations, but I am making the appeal to show support at a local level.

If you spent the last year saving $300 to buy a used Glock, this message is not directed at you. I am making this appeal to those of you secure in your ammo fort. I am making this appeal to those of you that have money for your next purchase but don't know what you want yet. If that is you than chances are you can delay that gratification.

Donations to local 501.c.3 organizations these days are difficult to come by. Local groups are struggling and donations in the $300-$500 are a rarity. Donations over that are almost unheard of. But those donations can do the most good by enabling shooting events or, more importantly, funding public out-reach.

The only realistic way I can see the gun community resist the current forces against us is to use a similar tactic, the grass-roots movement. Cultural change is only going to happen by changing minds and opinions one at a time. Like everything else in our society that is going to take money. I'm not talking about money for Wayne's wardrobe, I'm talking about money that keeps local ranges and clubs operating that allow people exposure to firearms. I'm talking about clubs and organizations that provide education and gun handling opportunities for the uninitiated.

So I am opening the discussion and making this appeal to all of you. When you have that extra money for the next purchase on your radar, please, won't you consider delaying that purchase? You saved up once, you can reach that point again. I know it is difficult to just let go of money, to just give it away, but the 2A community can make better use of that money fighting for our rights than another piece of hardware locked up in a safe.

Twenty or fifty dollar donations are nice, but to make make an impact imagine the purchase price of a gun. I know a lot of you already support a lot of varied organizations. So do I. What I am asking you to do is take another step. A HUGE step. Make a personal sacrifice and a offer a significant donation to a local organization. They will appreciate it and it will help preserve the places we go to exercise our 2A rights.

May God bless you and I hope you will join me in making a difference.

Clark & Addison

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2019
    Gibson County
    I'm fairly new to the gun collecting/shooting sport culture. Is there a way that you recommend finding such local organizations? I would be interested in learning more about/supporting/joining some organization such as you describe but I'm not sure how to go about doing so.

Karl-just-Karl

Retired
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2014
    NE
    Welcome, if you are just starting out I'm certain you have innumerable things on your list to acquire. You probably have a long way to go with ammunition supplies, accessories, storage, cleaning equipment, etc... Hopefully you have some local contacts, friends or coworkers that are helping and guiding you in your journey.

If you really want names of specific organizations PM me.

Otherwise, consider becoming a Site Supporter here on INGO.

It is a great community where much can be learned and shared.

Okay, usually it is a great community, just don't take things too personally. :):

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    I have been struggling for awhile with the question about what I can do to help make a change in our culture. That is, society at-large and the gun community itself.

I have seen here on INGO other people struggling with the same question. What I have decided to do is this; I am willing to forego my next gun purchase and instead donate that money to a local not-for-profit that supports gun rights and encourages shooting sports and firearms education in my local community. Not only that, I am here to encourage my fellow gun owners and firearms enthusiasts to do the same.

If you are looking at your collection and are pondering your next purchase. I am asking you as a fellow gun owner to delay that gratification and invest your money locally into an organization or cause that supports 2A freedoms and appreciation. I know that many of us support national-level organizations, but I am making the appeal to show support at a local level.

If you spent the last year saving $300 to buy a used Glock, this message is not directed at you. I am making this appeal to those of you secure in your ammo fort. I am making this appeal to those of you that have money for your next purchase but don't know what you want yet. If that is you than chances are you can delay that gratification.

Donations to local 501.c.3 organizations these days are difficult to come by. Local groups are struggling and donations in the $300-$500 are a rarity. Donations over that are almost unheard of. But those donations can do the most good by enabling shooting events or, more importantly, funding public out-reach.

The only realistic way I can see the gun community resist the current forces against us is to use a similar tactic, the grass-roots movement. Cultural change is only going to happen by changing minds and opinions one at a time. Like everything else in our society that is going to take money. I'm not talking about money for Wayne's wardrobe, I'm talking about money that keeps local ranges and clubs operating that allow people exposure to firearms. I'm talking about clubs and organizations that provide education and gun handling opportunities for the uninitiated.

So I am opening the discussion and making this appeal to all of you. When you have that extra money for the next purchase on your radar, please, won't you consider delaying that purchase? You saved up once, you can reach that point again. I know it is difficult to just let go of money, to just give it away, but the 2A community can make better use of that money fighting for our rights than another piece of hardware locked up in a safe.

Twenty or fifty dollar donations are nice, but to make make an impact imagine the purchase price of a gun. I know a lot of you already support a lot of varied organizations. So do I. What I am asking you to do is take another step. A HUGE step. Make a personal sacrifice and a offer a significant donation to a local organization. They will appreciate it and it will help preserve the places we go to exercise our 2A rights.

May God bless you and I hope you will join me in making a difference.

Thank you for this Noble Idea. On another note, If one would join as many Conservation Clubs they can and get involved with and for the membership then even a bigger difference can be made. I know of one that it's Mission Statement is exactly what you stand for.

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    Might I expand on an already fantastic idea:

Our local HS has one of the best archery programs around. I am very happy to see young ones interested in a primitive sport. Consider contacting your local school board/admin, boy/girl scouts, or 4H program for info on youth shooting sports. I believe the youth of our time are in desperate need of education on this subject. If not for a "team sport" , at least an elective class on education. I would be glad to give my purchase fund away if I knew it was buying books/equipment for the kids.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    i donate time to the friends of the nra (the non profit non political side of the nra) i also donate money (i try to win at their raffles and lose) if any of these orginations need money or items, they can apply for grants from the fnra (we give up to 5000 dollar grants to these kind of groups), grants have been given to the boy scouts, 4h shooting programs, college and high school trap teams, school archery programs, and other programs

these grants can be used to purchase discounted firearms from the fnra warehouse (ie redbrush rifle range and the west side sportsmans club both have several rifles/shotguns/handguns that are used for youth day programs), and last year 2 local private schools started trap programs and each were given 5 thousand dollar grants to get their programs started!

I know some on here don't have much love for the nra, but please remember that the friends of the nra is a separate entity, not 1 penny will go to the nra, every cent go's to the nra foundation, 1/2 go's to the national foundation and helps fun things like eddie eagle gun safety and the Olympic shooting programs, and the other 1/2 stays here in Indiana, and is used for things like the programs I listed above

I think its too late to apply for a grant for this year, but tell these programs to apply next year!

fyi Indiana is the largest fnra fundraising state! we raise more than California and Texas!, if you've never been to a banquet, I recommend you go!, contact your local chapter for tickets or to volunteer, most need help both working, and selling raffle tickets, we just did one at Christmas called the 12 guns of Christmas, we sold 250 tickets at 50 dollars each, and gave away 13 guns and raised about 10 grand for the fnra (most of the 13 guns were donated back to us by previous winners)

https://www.friendsofnra.org/

the gentleman who runs the youth day fest at redbrush said it best, we're 1 or two generations away for our hobby disappearing, kids would rather play video game or watch the youtube!,

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    I'm just waiting for late spring or early summer to upgrade my NRA membership. That, I think, will help keep Donald in the oval office, and secure a number of other conservative positions.
    I'm also considering donating to Nancy Pelosi's republican challenger. Just 'cause I don't like her.

Karl-just-Karl

Retired
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2014
    NE
    The NRA has a place and a mission. I understand that. What I am encouraging is more of the "think local" initiative.

Stay out of the politics and actually help organizations that are directly and closely affecting our hobby, passion, the thing we have all spent so much time and money doing.

Grants are great, the group I associate with actually created a board position for pursuing such things.

Helping out local high schools or with youth oriented activities are also a great way to go. I hope more people will commit themselves to such things.

To restate my appeal:

That money that you want to spend for the next gun, consider donating that to a local group (501.c.3 not-for-profit preferably).

So few people are willing to volunteer or donate these days. There are a lot of us on this very message board that know full well that justification for gun purchases has gone out the window. We buy because we like or just because we want, sometimes because we just want something new.

I ask my fellow enthusiasts/collectors to consider delaying the gratification from their next purchase and contribute to the larger cause. That next gun will still be waiting for you in a month or two. Local organizations can use your help now. It may already be too late to reverse the tide, but if we never start or choose to do nothing then we know what the end result will be.

I hesitate to list any specific organizations. I know of several and I know there are many more out there that would like to receive additional funding. If you are drawing a blank, PM me and I will offer a few suggestions.

This is a personal challenge offered personally. It isn't an advertisement for any particular group. This is a call for monetary action to support and sustain a movement, to prevent losing more ground.

Thank you for your support!

Slapstick

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    I'll throw some out there. Find out if your local 4H has shooting sports as part of their program. I've met many a fine young person who were interested in the shooting sports though 4H. My local club allows them the use of our ranges and equipment free of charge to help their endeavor. We also host a local High School trap team, they are always looking for donations to keep their club going. Both would be worthy organization to donate to. So, find out if you local 4H needs help and if one of your local schools has a shooting program of some type that could use the help.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    The NRA has a place and a mission. I understand that. What I am encouraging is more of the "think local" initiative.

Stay out of the politics and actually help organizations that are directly and closely affecting our hobby, passion, the thing we have all spent so much time and money doing.

Grants are great, the group I associate with actually created a board position for pursuing such things.

Helping out local high schools or with youth oriented activities are also a great way to go. I hope more people will commit themselves to such things.

To restate my appeal:

That money that you want to spend for the next gun, consider donating that to a local group (501.c.3 not-for-profit preferably).

So few people are willing to volunteer or donate these days. There are a lot of us on this very message board that know full well that justification for gun purchases has gone out the window. We buy because we like or just because we want, sometimes because we just want something new.

I ask my fellow enthusiasts/collectors to consider delaying the gratification from their next purchase and contribute to the larger cause. That next gun will still be waiting for you in a month or two. Local organizations can use your help now. It may already be too late to reverse the tide, but if we never start or choose to do nothing then we know what the end result will be.

I hesitate to list any specific organizations. I know of several and I know there are many more out there that would like to receive additional funding. If you are drawing a blank, PM me and I will offer a few suggestions.

This is a personal challenge offered personally. It isn't an advertisement for any particular group. This is a call for monetary action to support and sustain a movement, to prevent losing more ground.

Thank you for your support!
    Friends of the NRA is Local.

slipnotz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 31, 2010
    I'll second Slapstick's suggestion of the 4-H club in your county. We can always use help in the way of 1) Instructors. 2) Guns. 3) Ammo. 4) Donations. To become an instructor, you have to attend one of their camps and become certified. For some of these kids, it is the only way they are able to shoot.

Karl-just-Karl

Retired
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2014
    NE
    Friends of the NRA is Local.

Yes, yes it is. My response was directed a little more at Deadeye. But hey, I'm not here to squabble or start arguments. That is one of the reasons I hesitate to name any specific organizations that I am fond of.

I would like to avoid the bickering, divisiveness and arguing that we have all been trained to do so well these days.

I am trying to start a movement of sorts. I want to encourage gun owners to become more engaged with what is going on in our society right now. I am attempting to offer direction to people that want to do something but aren't certain how or where. Lots of folks have expressed an interest in doing such a thing, I am just providing one immediate and powerful potential solution. It is the best idea I have conceived thus far.

National lobbying organizations have their place, like I said, but local is where the people are. If our society still embraced and accepted the presence of firearms like they did fifty years ago we might not need to rely upon lobbyists to ensure the rights of the gun owning community.

People are being made afraid of guns because of Hollywood BS (unrealistic fantasy), hyperbole, mis-perception, and outright lies and propaganda. Many of us fear what the aim is, what the ultimate reason for disarming the populace is all about. Lots of people can expound upon what history should teach us. Not many people seem willing to take a larger step and invest in avoiding mistakes of the past.

My unrealistic example: If among the 90 million gun owners in America, each one was willing to delay the purchase of their "next" gun (say the average cost is $600) and donate to a local organization, that would be 54 billion dollars flowing into the coffers of local organizations that have a direct hands-on connection with society at large. The people and groups most likely to effect social perception of firearms could have additional funding for safety, education and outreach.

That is simply not going to happen.

Most gun owners want that next thrill, that next acquisition, the next new "toy". I am one of them, I am one of you.

Where am I trying to make a difference?

I have plenty of tools in the safe. I have plenty of ammo on the shelf. I have enough reloading supplies for the next four years. Many of you are me.

I am making a difference because I am willing to delay the gratification of one gun purchase and donate that money to a local organization.

Karl-just-Karl

Retired
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2014
    NE
    Recently I headed up a fund raising campaign for the club I belong to.

What it taught me was that sometimes all it takes is one person willing to step forward to get the ball rolling.

I don't know, maybe it is just human nature and nobody wanting to be the first to stick their head out of the trench. After the first person, several people stepped up and were willing to commit to a significant challenge.

I don't understand why they couldn't have done that in the first place. Doing anything always takes a first time or a first person, that is an undeniable truth.

Please support your local organizations in a meaningful way. I can't tell anybody how to spend their money, but I will make the appeal to support your local clubs with a significant donation.

Karl-just-Karl

Retired
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2014
    NE
    Nope, I still haven't given up on this.

I never expected to see people reply and say that they have donated the price of their next gun purchase to a local organization, but I hope that some folks have given this some consideration.

Everytime I see the thread "Which firearms are you thinking about buying in 2020" this comes to mind.

Karl-just-Karl

Retired
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2014
    NE
    I know that it is tax season again. My LGS is brimming with booming business. Lots of folks getting back their free loan to the feds.

I'm just bumping this reminder because as the weather warms up and folks get ready to go back to the range, please consider joining or supporting a local organization with a generous donation.

Get out and shoot! Don't worry about the ammo, they'll make more...for now at least.

sheepdog697

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 2, 2015
    Cedar Lake
    I always try to introduce people to firearms. If I have friends that are anti gun or uninformed, I usually take them to the range. The first range trip is on me. I provide the ammo. I talk about individual liberties, gun safety, and why private ownership of firearms is important to this country. Once they go out and shoot an "evil ar15" they start to see the light. Its more so that a lot of people haven't grown up around firearms (I was very lucky). While we are at the range I try to explain a lot of the common misconceptions from the anti-gun community.

Another thing that lucas botkin really promotes is exposure of things that the "normal" gun community doesn't really bring into light. Gas masks, body armor, night vision, and high end gear are things he tries to normalize with his large following. The more people are exposed to these items, the less likely they are to be afraid of them. He is one of the reasons along with a few others that helped me decide to purchase night vision.

I saw this somewhere and it stuck with me:
    "We are fighting and enemy that is inherently physically weak, non aggressive, who's supporters are unarmed. We are fighting this enemy and we are losing. If we let them win, if we legitimately let them come for our guns one piece at a time, why do we even care? If they win, we deserve it. Your liberties aren't dying. Theyre being killed by people with names and addresses."

Karl-just-Karl

Retired
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2014
    NE
    This is hard to do when your local conservation club doesn't want new members. ( I'm looking at you Martinsville Conservation Club)

That is unfortunate. I hope you can find an organization that is more willing to grow its membership. Maybe there are other organizations (4-H, Friends of the NRA, NWTF) or other youth oriented programs you could support.

Is it possible for you to team up with other like minded individuals and start your own community outreach? Do you have a local Trail Life Troop? How receptive is your local school system to a shooting safety program? Are you willing to become a certified instructor?

If the Martinsville Conservation Club is at its member capacity and refuses to maintain a waiting list it would seem that there is plenty of opportunity for other places, programs and organizations to develop.

I empathize (doing a quick Googling of the area), it appears that public places to shoot in your area do not come easily.

Top Bottom