• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    I talked to a person today who wants to sell a couple of hunting rifles- most likely in Michigan. He is originally from there and brought them to Indiana with him, but says that he is unlikely to ever hunt again and they aren't a legal hunting caliber here.

His primary residence is now in Indiana and has been for some time. He still owns property in Michigan. I'm familiar with the private sale rules within Indiana, but this isn't my bailiwick.

Does he need to sell them via an FFL in Michigan or can he do a private sale there? Anything else I should warn him about?

Thanks.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    If he's an Indiana resident and you are too, I don't see what the problem would be

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    If he brought them with him to Indiana, then how are they still in Michigan? :dunno:

Didn't we just have a thread about two IN residents making a sale in a different state?

If he lives in Indiana, and is an Indiana resident, have him bring his rifles to Indiana and sell them in his home state to other Indiana residents.

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Guess I wasn't clear enough. He is now an Indiana resident and has been for some time- Indiana residence and drivers license and all. I have no interest in buying the rifles, but just want to make sure he isn't getting into trouble.

He originally got the rifles while living in Michigan and brought them to Indiana when he moved here. They are valid hunting calibers in Michigan (but not here) and he is thinking of selling them when he goes back to visit. Given that his primary residence is Indiana, but he is thinking of selling them in Michigan (where he still owns some property), will he need to go through an FFL or can he do a person-to-person direct sale?

Last edited:

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Guess I wasn't clear enough. He is now an Indiana resident and has been for some time- Indiana residence and drivers license and all. I have no interest in buying the rifles, but just want to make sure he isn't getting into trouble.

He originally got the rifles while living in Michigan and brought them to Indiana when he moved here. They are valid hunting calibers in Michigan (but not here) and he is thinking of selling them when he goes back to visit. Given that his primary residence is Indiana, but he is thinking of selling them in Michigan (where he still owns some property), will he need to go through an FFL or can he do a person-to-person direct sale?

Owning property in MI and being "valid hunting calibers" in MI are completely irrelevant.

He can sell to IN residents FTF, he must sell to MI residents through a dealer.

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    The valid hunting caliber is the reason he wants to sell in Michigan. He figures he won't get much for them here, which is likely correct. I didn't know if owning property there made any difference or not.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    The valid hunting caliber is the reason he wants to sell in Michigan. He figures he won't get much for them here, which is likely correct. I didn't know if owning property there made any difference or not.

What is the "valid hunting caliber" that is legal in Michigan, but not Indiana?
    Even a .223 is valid here for coyote, and many other varmints.
    You can legally hunt squirrel in Indiana with a .30-06 or .45/70govt, but I don't know why you would want to do such a thing.

Then again, as long as the HPR rules remain the same, MOST popular deer calibers are already legal and "valid" here in Indiana, at least for private land.
    So I ask again, what caliber(s) are we talking about?
    He might be surprised what some Hoosier hick might offer...

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Sorry, don't know any further details. We aren't close, but he knows me as a "gun guy", so he asked me. I won't see him before next Wed, but I'll ask him then. If they are legal for hunting use in Indiana, I'll certainly encourage him to sell here as it would be simpler.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I'm curious, too. What calibers are they? And a separate question, what calibers are valid in the great state of Michigan, but not here? Inquiring minds (nibshxts like me) want to know!

That's why I asked about the .223.
    I'm not sure about Michigan, but I know there are states that allow a .223 for deer.
    That's about all I can think of myself.

Restroyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    SE Indiana
    I'm curious, too. What calibers are they? And a separate question, what calibers are valid in the great state of Michigan, but not here? Inquiring minds (nibshxts like me) want to know!

Some calibers are not allowed in Indiana on Public land. Just assuming here but he might be thinking that why limit his potential buyers to those who only hunt on Private land in Indiana?

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    I will give you this. He still owns property in Michigan. If it's a residence of his, he could check into taking them back to his residence there and selling them there. Personally I would like more clarification on this. If I had a dual state residence but an Indiana driver's license, could I sell my guns in the safe sitting in Michigan to someone else in Michigan?

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dhlawson
    Top Bottom