Looking for someone with some land to shoot on.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Khaos556

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2019
    Greenwood
    Hello,
    I know I’m new here. This is the only avenue I have to ask. I’ve been thinking about becoming a member of pointblank. However I really don’t like the ambiance there. So that brings me to my next point.

I am looking for somewhere to shoot. I don’t need much space just for casual drills. Drawing from the holster, misfire drills, reload drills. The lot of it. I also would like a place to take my sons shooting. They are of the younger age. I don’t want there first experience with firearms to scare them at a range. I would prefer it quiet where I can have some 1 on 1 time with the boys.

I would have no problem signing any sort of waiver. As well as paying for the year. So long as I can come and go as I please (during reasonable hours of course) if you guys know of such a place or know someone that knows someone. I would greatly appreciative.

Thanks in advance guys!!!

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Get on Google and go find a range that you like better. Or save money and buy your own land. The entire point of working hard for your entire life to pay for your own land is to shoot or hunt on it without other people.

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    Get on Google and go find a range that you like better. Or save money and buy your own land. The entire point of working hard for your entire life to pay for your own land is to shoot or hunt on it without other people.

^^THIS^^

There are plenty of ranges or conservation clubs that allow a certain amount of "drills" or ask and someone probably knows if one close to your area.

Good Luck

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    In all of this no matter what you sign it is no defense in this day and age. Useless piece of paper.
    Unless there are insurances in place anything you do that causes harm will fall on the land owner. It is just the reality of the system we have allowed to prosper.

I have been very blessed to know some solid folks that own land and will allow us to use it in this way. We had to prove ourselves. As it should be.

You will find that folks have zero interest in allowing this anymore. And for the reasons I stated above. I can honestly say I would be very closed as to who comes and goes on land I may own.

No knock on you. It is just the way of things. You need to get to know someone that has the land. Vette yourself and you may find what you are looking for.
    Free reign come and go as you please is a pipe dream.

Getting a hunting lease would be the answer. But even that is not year round.

76Too

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Dec 9, 2019
    Just Passing Through
    Sorry to piggyback your thread, but does anyone have a patch of land I can buy that’s about 2’ wide and 1001yds long (give or take a few feet in either direction).

I can maintain it myself with a single pass of a walking lawnmower...or just shoot in the prone and trim it that way.

OP, I’ve been in Indiana just over a month...the options are as follows: go to Atterbury (about .5 hours from you for $7/hr)...go to another DNR that’s farther away...join a club...buy land.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Marion County Fish and Game. Look it up, join and then go during the week if you can and you will likely have a shooting bay all to yourself. Sometimes on the weekend you can even get a bay by yourself. If not right away, you can usually wait and get a bay to yourself. It's a private club and a great facility, with relatively low cost from other options.

Last edited:

Restroyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    SE Indiana
    About an hour and a half east of you is the state park at Quakertown (top of Brookville Lake). It has a nice outdoor shooting range run by the DNR. Their hours tend to change so you will want to call in advance. Before I saved up enough to buy my land that's where I started my sons at when they were young. It was a nice place. Although I don't think they allow any drawing from the holster.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Marion County Fish and Game. Look it up, join and then go during the week if you can and you will likely have a shooting bay all to yourself. Sometimes on the weekend you can even get a bay by yourself. If not right away, you can usually wait and get a bay to yourself. It's a private club and a great facility, with relatively low cost from other options.

To the OP:

I am a member at both Marion County Fish and Game and Crawfordsville Gun Club. MCFG is great for pistol and rimfire / pistol caliber rifle or shotgun shooting. CGC allows centerfire rifle up to 200 yards. Both places are a world apart from the typical indoor 25 yard range, reasonably priced and would make great places to take your kids. If you want to know more about either place drop me a PM and I’ll be happy to fill you in.

Audie Murphy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    59   3   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    Warsaw
    About an hour and a half east of you is the state park at Quakertown (top of Brookville Lake). It has a nice outdoor shooting range run by the DNR. Their hours tend to change so you will want to call in advance. Before I saved up enough to buy my land that's where I started my sons at when they were young. It was a nice place. Although I don't think they allow any drawing from the holster.

Bro, DNR ranges no longer allows carrying on their facilities, so definitely no holster drills and moving while shooting.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    Hoosier Hills Rifle Pistol club if you don't mind the trek to the other side of Columbus. 30-40 mins drive depending on where you are in greenwood. 200yd rifle range, 15-20 yd pistol bay.

Khaos556

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2019
    Greenwood
    To the OP:

I am a member at both Marion County Fish and Game and Crawfordsville Gun Club. MCFG is great for pistol and rimfire / pistol caliber rifle or shotgun shooting. CGC allows centerfire rifle up to 200 yards. Both places are a world apart from the typical indoor 25 yard range, reasonably priced and would make great places to take your kids. If you want to know more about either place drop me a PM and I’ll be happy to fill you in.

Do either of them offer yearly memberships?
    Can i bring the family?
    Do they allow for Holster drills/Moving drills?
    Can you link me the "Official" Website to both clubs? I keep getting A LOT of multiple websites and im not for sure which is which.
    Sorry the Forum wont let me PM anyone until after 50 posts =(

Gary119

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2015
    Southern Indiana
    You didn't say the age of your sons and depending on age you might think about 4H shooting sports. Johnson county at one time had shooting sports and I think they still do but can't say for sure. Contact the extension agent for details. The office is at the entrance of the fair grounds off US 31 (between DQ and Wendy's).
    Your son's will learn and you might meet like minded people. Not saying what you want will come out of this but who knows. Just a thought.

Top Bottom