• brosselle

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2020
    Greenwood
    Hi,

My first post here.

I'm thinking about buying some undeveloped land in southern Johnson county or Brown county. Probably around an acre or so. Maybe put a small cabin there with a generator, etc.

Here's the gun connection that I'm asking about. It would be really nice to be able to shoot on my property. I don't know the laws that pertain to this, or where to find them. How far away do I have to be from other dwellings? From the city limits? Noise ordinances, etc, etc.

If anybody could answer this, or just point me in the direction of where to research this, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Scuba591

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    Noblesville
    Welcome to the group... I agree with Churchmouse, an acre is not enough land. Other considerations will be location, city limits or outside city limits. You will need to do your research for other restrictions. It is always good to remember that you are responsible for any round leaving your property and the damage it may do. Consider neighbors as well... most people move out to the “country” for peace and quiet.
    your open ended question did not specify what kind of shooting you would like to do.
    a good realtor may have more info as well as the local assessors office.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Review zoning ordinances. Review voting history of the county. Avoid metro areas, even little ones. Get yourself up to “pretty good” standards with county GIS resources, Google Earth, Facebook, Indiana criminal record searches, and anything else that can inform you about your future possibilities and future neighbors.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    As noted above, an acre is not enough. As for ordinances, if you are out in the county and not within the city limits or the two mile area surrounding the city, I would start with the Auditor's office. The auditor typically is in control of any ordinances passed by the county commissioners. You could also check with the Planning Commission and the sheriff's department as they may have ordinances that would be different than those in the auditor's office.

As stated above, any bullets fired on your property that travel beyond your property boundary are your responsibility. You can be charged if they cause damage or harm. Conviction of such charges related to firearms can (and is likely to) result in loss of LTCH.

Whatever you decide to do, please construct a proper backstop if you buy property and shoot on it.

brosselle

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2020
    Greenwood
    Thanks for the responses. Guns I know, land and ordinances I do not.

Ideally the land would have a hill for a natural backstop, but if not, one would be built. The Auditors office, sheriff's department, etc, is good information. I didn't really know where to start, so this helps a lot. It would definitely be outside any city limits, probably in an area where hunting takes place already (I'm not a hunter though). Probably just some wooded land with no houses around.

Shooting would be handguns only, unless I got really lucky with the area and could shoot rifles.

Last edited:

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Yep, 1 acre is nowhere near enough. I wouldnt look at anything below 4. I grew up on 3 acres, roughly 100x150 yards. I will probably inherit that land when my mom passes. (its rural too) I wouldnt feel comfortable putting anything bigger than a 50yard x 50' bay with 10' birms on 3 sides.

brosselle

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2020
    Greenwood
    If I could afford 3-4 acres, that might be doable. I'm still in the exploratory phase right now. I do appreciate all of the responses.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I have my range set up on approximately 3.5 acres of my property to get a nice 100 yard range. It depends on how the property lays. Then dont forget to build a backstop. I used railroad ties and had the cheapest dirt mostly clay dumped inside.

:ar15:__]

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    I have 4.5 acres in Johnson Country that border fields for a ways. Before buying this house, we looked for property to build on or use as a recreational property to shoot on. Buildable property was running $12-15k per acre. Recreational property... that was hard to find and what we found was not cheap. Unless you are living there full time, You better have good neighbors to keep an eye on the place when your not there.

Top Bottom