Mailing pistol back to manufacturer OK or no way?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • vincess

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 14, 2017
    Indy
    All, I did do research for past discussions, but didn't find any that really hit the nail on the head. My title says it all. I have a PTR pistol, that I need to send back to them. They're in South Carolina. I've had a buddy of mine say that I can do this thru UPS, and not need to fill out the 4473. Any insight on this? Thanks.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Usually the company can give you a shipping label that you print out. Then just follow the instructions. Give the company a call and see how they usually do it.

usmcdjb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    118   0   0
    Jan 16, 2010
    Wabash County
    Yes, from an aspect of a need for a 4473, you can mail it back. And they can return it to you directly via mail.

Shipping company policy is the sticky part, and thus the recommendation for a shipping label from the company.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    All, I did do research for past discussions, but didn't find any that really hit the nail on the head. My title says it all. I have a PTR pistol, that I need to send back to them. They're in South Carolina. I've had a buddy of mine say that I can do this thru UPS, and not need to fill out the 4473. Any insight on this? Thanks.

Yes, but I believe it has to be the USPS, not UPS.

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    Non-licensed (FFL) people cannot send handguns via USPS.

You can ship it via UPS or FedEx. If you ship directly to the manufacturer or a gunsmith (not have an FFL ship it for you), then they can ship it directly back to you without an FFL transfer.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Maybe this is why a revolver I had sent to me(via USPS) has gone from the sender through Louisville to Indy, to Newark, NJ, back to Indy, then Bloomington, now in "transit to it's next destination".

Sounds like I may have lost it for good at this point?

I was able to send the same revolver to the mfr. for repair and they sent it directly back to me, but if I recall, I used FedEx.

walt o

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 10, 2008
    Hammond
    Call the mfg and ask what is their policy on returning a firearm for repairs .S&W sends you a pre paid fed ex label and depending you might have to pay for fed-ex return ,if not warranted work
    I believe Colt is the same ,can't remember who Kimber uses
    a privet non ffl CAN'T send through the USPS =fed law
    without company authorization you pay skipping and it has to be over nite $$$$. And it must be shipped from a HUB not a store

4651feeder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 21, 2016
    East of NWI
    Go to a UPS hub. Not a UPS store.
    Actually I believe they will want to go to a UPS Customer Counter at a UPS Center. While Hubs may have Centers within their confines, John Q Public is limited to interacting with the Center and not all Centers are located within a Hub. Sorry just had to go there.

Anyway, the crux of using UPS to ship a handgun is it will need to ship no less than Next Day Air and well... $$$

Squander

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jun 27, 2014
    South Bend
    I have done several back and forth direct to manufacturer for repairs. Usually, cost of shipping is borne by the manufacturer if it is a warranty repair. Return shipping to you requires someone home for a signature, although once a UPS delivery truck just dropped a Nighthawk at my door when no one was home instead of getting the signature.:rolleyes:

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    /\ This. Contact manufacturer for shipping label. Take it to hub, not a store. Comes back to your house, adult signature required.

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    If you do a lot of business with a local FFL they might help you out. Had a local gunsmith/FFL nice guy and now passed away but he was a cool guy and more into the gunsmith part of business. I took him a gun with a chipped extractor to fix. He couldn't get the part and sent it to S&W by USPS. When He got it back he just charged for shipping $14.00 and UPS was at least $50. No 4473 involved. Jim.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    My post master told me to field strip a handgun or rifle and its considered parts and you can mail it via USPS.

That may have sufficed for your post master, and you evidently got lucky - but I wouldn't want to go against the Postal Inspectors if there was an issue. Simply, your post master told you to violate the laws/rules.

OP: If you do not get a return shipping label from the manufacturer, you'll be on the hook for overnight shipping with the carrier of your choice. That will be expensive.

If you do not get a shipping label, contact a local gun shop / FFL and inquire as to what they'll charge you to ship said firearm. A shop should charge you $20-30 or so (an AR pistol may be more due to size) - and they CAN utilize USPS - which is a cost-savings all the way around.

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    My post master told me to field strip a handgun or rifle and its considered parts and you can mail it via USPS.

Doesn't change the fact that you are sending a serial numbered item that is considered by the federal govt to be a firearm (assuming you are sending the serial numbered part that is considered the firearm, typically the frame, but on some firearms it is the trigger control group, etc).

That may have sufficed for your post master, and you evidently got lucky - but I wouldn't want to go against the Postal Inspectors if there was an issue. Simply, your post master told you to violate the laws/rules.

OP: If you do not get a return shipping label from the manufacturer, you'll be on the hook for overnight shipping with the carrier of your choice. That will be expensive.

If you do not get a shipping label, contact a local gun shop / FFL and inquire as to what they'll charge you to ship said firearm. A shop should charge you $20-30 or so (an AR pistol may be more due to size) - and they CAN utilize USPS - which is a cost-savings all the way around.

Agreed with this 100%.

vincess

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 14, 2017
    Indy

Well it was not purchased from a dealer, so I have no proof of purchase. According to PTR this nullifies their warranty, and shipping is now on me. I'm fine with that, as I just want the thing fixed. I've asked a gunsmith who's a FFL, and they informed me that because PTR would be shipping it back to them, then me picking it up from them (gunsmith) I would need to fill out the 4473.

Top Bottom